Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 04:04 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatelo View Post
Says an American.

The US is literally the cultural hegemon of the globe, has the most significant cities of any country, the third largest population, the most vibrant and diverse economy, a remarkably diverse climate and geography…you genuinely are talking out of your ass.
Another new user, bumping Irene's old flame threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 12:48 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,600,617 times
It's funny when someone bumps a thread, and you glance through a few, and see one you want to reply to, and then discover that it's your own year-old post.

Old 09-27-2021, 01:37 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I cannot understand this. I was given about the same description of Brussels, and based on that, allocated too little time to this city that I found wonderful (in fact, in another thread, I just rated it among my favorite 15 or so cities on the planet). I only stayed in the city center, and wandered along those little narrow streets that you don't normally see preserved in the heart of other large European cities. Why does my positive impression of Brussels differ so much from those of all the people saying (and a lot of people everywhere, not just you or this thread) that the city is ugly?? Anyone here who is actually from there (or has spent extended time there) that can comment?
How many days were you there for? Brussels for 1 day is magical: Grand Place, Manneken Pis, the chocolateries, Christmas Markets (when I was there). It was beautiful.

By Day Two, I'd already seen the main stuff so I moved down the bucket list. It was far less enjoyable than Day 1, but still decent.

By Day Three, I had to venture outside of the tourist district and my perceptions quickly changed. Transit on strike, homeless pissing on the Palace of Justice, trash everywhere, graffiti everywhere, bad zoning (there's even a word for bad zoning named after Brussels: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brusselization). Schaerbeek feels very scary and has a bad vibe.

By Day Four, I wanted to leave but couldn't (the aforementioned strike), so I just did Day One again and tried to pretend I hadn't seen the rest of Brussels. Yikes!

Old 09-27-2021, 09:36 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
It's funny when someone bumps a thread, and you glance through a few, and see one you want to reply to, and then discover that it's your own year-old post.
Yes, I’ve done that as well.

“Who is this poster that I totally agree with?… Oh, it’s me…”.

Old 09-28-2021, 12:22 AM

My most striking memory of Brussels was a huge beer hall full of formica tables and shopping housewives taking a Stella break. Otherwise, I stayed with a friend in Aalst, which looked a lot like Brussels.

Old 09-28-2021, 12:44 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
e-Swatini, Dubai, Morocco.

Also Switzerland, Poland, Finland, Chile, Austria, Guatemala, New Zealand at night.

You have to make your own excitement in lots of places. I was amazed that America or Australia made anyone's list.

Old 09-29-2021, 11:52 PM

eSwatini is probly pretty boring now. Swaziland used to be a giant brothel for Afrikaaner men who couldn't legally touch black women at home. I suppose Lesotho is also pretty boring, but I found it pretty exciting to be one of few people who ever walked in falling snow in an African capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World