Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 10:11 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times

Advertisements

Part of this might depend on what's meant by "Tropical", "First World", and "Cities."

Brunei is apparently classed as "Very High Human Development" by the UN and Bandar Seri Begawan is in a tropical-rainforest climate. Its core-city is over a 100,000 so presumably can count as a "city" if not major like Singapore. (And I just like the chance to say/think "Bandar Seri Begawan", it's fun)

The Bahamas is also in the list of "Very High Human Development" and Nassau has over 200,000 people. Nassau's climate is listed as "tropical monsoon."

Darwin, Australia has a "Tropical Savanna" climate. I grant that's not one of the tropical climates wanted, hence debate on including Honolulu, but it is a tropical kind of climate.

Kaohsiung, Taiwan also has a "Tropical Savanna" climate. As it has over 2 million people it might be more what's desired except for having a dry season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 10:17 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
I think we can put Nassau on that list. Compared to most of the world Nassau is pretty good.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:29 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Both Hong Kong and Taipei are humid subtropical. Even Honolulu is classified as semi-arid
Honolulu is actually located in the Tropical zone.

I thought Taipei was, but its not so I take back Taipei and replace it with Kaohsiung, Taiwan

Hong Kong is also located within the actual Tropical zone. Miami is not.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:24 PM

776 posts, read 1,673,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

I thought Taipei was, but its not so I take back Taipei and replace it with Kaohsiung, Taiwan

Yet Hong Kong has winter low temps in the 40's more like 300 miles north in St Augustine than Miami..

Average Weather for Hong Kong, GG - Temperature and Precipitation

Average Weather for Saint Augustine, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 09-25-2011, 12:49 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Korea's not tropical. It can get very cold during the winter, in (at least) the vast majority of Korea. It probably wouldn't even qualify as subtropical. Chejo Do, off the south coast might be an exception.
Also, before the Korean War, North Korea was FAR richer than South Korea.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:32 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Dubai?

Old 09-27-2011, 08:27 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

If Miami isn't Tropical, than what is it? No one answers this question every-time I ask. Is it merely Sub-Tropical? I might not get an answer.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:10 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
If Miami isn't Tropical, than what is it? No one answers this question every-time I ask. Is it merely Sub-Tropical? I might not get an answer.
Tropical climate zones are established as those that have mean temperatures above 64 degree F. year 'round.
Here's a map link:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...p_Af_Am_Aw.png
Southeastern Florida is the only part of the Continental US that qualifies under that designation. Though the map is small, it appears that the designation might go a bit north of Palm Beach County.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:21 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
It might be a stretch, depending on how you want to define "first world', but it seems to me that Djakarta, the capital of Indonesia might be one of these cities. Indonesia is among the G-20, the world's 20 largest economies. And it's defintely tropical.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:18 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
"First world" is basicially a Cold War-era term that refered to the countries aligned to the United States during the period--namely NATO nations in Western Europe, Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea as opposed to the communist "Second world" states in the Warsaw Pact(and Cuba, China, and North Korea) and aligned to the Soviet Union. The Third World was the rest of the globe up for grabs---which as most of these countries were fairly poor or developing nations sort came to be synonomous with poverty. However it's sort of outdated given the growing economies and higher living standards of some developing countries in the last 30 years.

If we're just going to classify "First world" by the Human Development Index--then there is several states ranked with very high human development located directly in the Tropics: Singapore, Barbados, the Bahamas, and Brunei. All small nations, but nonetheless all are ranked close in development to European nations or the richer countries of the Persian Gulf region. Just below them however with high human development rankings there are Latin American nations. For example Cuba, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Panama rank close to or higher than much of the former Soviet Bloc nations(or Russia itself) or places in the Balkans like Croatia or Serbia.

Panama City is a very developed place these days, with huge shopping malls, rich suburbs, and gleaming high-rise towers closer to Miami than some stereotypical image of the Third World in most parts of the city. There are some slums there, but in some ways, they didn't seem as bad as what you'd find in some cities in the US. And it's so tropical that they have rainforests on the outskirts of the city.

You've also got a place like Brazil, where you have wealthy developed cities and nice areas with terrible slums on the outskirts. In general you've got high human development in the south of the nation, though the the most stable and wealthy cities like Curtiba are south of the tropics. But cities in the tropics like Brasillia or even Belo Horizonte has a comparable level of development to much of Europe throughout much of the cities--much different that a place like Salvador further north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World