Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 12:25 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
All ? What nonsense is that? It might be rocket science to you then!
Yes, almost all. I'm half African American/German American and I could pick out an African American in a crowd of Africans just about any day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 12:01 AM

59 posts, read 53,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Yes, almost all. I'm half African American/German American and I could pick out an African American in a crowd of Africans just about any day of the week.
Yeah but you cannot always tell only because many children of immigrant parents or immigrant grandparents can assimilate into a neutral or native U.S. born black identity.

For example many of the famous rap and hip hop artists in the USA often are of Caribbean descent. So we have to keep in mind who are the real true descendants of the actual African American ethnic group.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:27 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,432,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post

You just lied. Not every African-American can be picked out of an African crowd. It also depend where in Africa, they're from. There are many African immigrants who are so well integrated into American society, it is impossible to differentiate them from African-Americans only by looks.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:22 AM

32 posts, read 32,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
You just lied. Not every African-American can be picked out of an African crowd. It also depend where in Africa, they're from. There are many African immigrants who are so well integrated into American society, it is impossible to differentiate them from African-Americans only by looks.
I think you could make a distinction between African-Americans (as in, 1st-2nd-3rd generation descendants of immigrants, not those who descend from the enslaved population) and those who are descendants of the enslaved population. I can anecdotally agree with the poster in that I have been able to recognize the descendants of the enslaved population (the latter group) while abroad, while at home in the US have been able to key in on 'something' that signaled a difference when interacting with individuals in the former group (descendants of immigrants). However, I cannot say I know what that something is, so that leaves it as merely an unsubstantiated opinion.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:33 AM

110 posts, read 124,612 times
On average we look different from Africans. We are known for our flat faces broad feature and various skin complexions. Our bodies tend to be muscular and we tend to be taller.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:54 PM

25 posts, read 20,415 times
Depite the fact that African-Americans are predominantly of Sub-Saharan African origin, they do have some differences with people who are from Africa. Though differences aren't as great as some people may say they are.

Genetically if we compare African-American with various African groups, we could see why.

African-American genome (Southwestern United States):
81% (Western & Central Africa)
9% (Southern Africa)
4% (Great Britain & Ireland)
3% (Southern Europe)
2% (Eastern Africa)
So we see that there a European genetical contribution to the African-American from the colonialist powers. Most African-American ancestors came from Western and Central Africa.

Some Western African groups:

Yoruban genome (West African):
89% (Western & Central Africa)
6% (Southern Africa)
3% (Northern Africa)
2% (Eastern Africa)

Senegalese
76% (Western & Central Africa)
12% (Northern Africa)
6% (Western & Central Europe)
4% (Southern Africa)
2% (Southern Europe)

Old 08-26-2017, 09:55 PM

491 posts, read 324,622 times
The average AA is about 22%-25%* white and that makes a huge difference in both structure of the face/body and skin tone. I can generally tell an AA from a continental African pretty easily. There are of course exceptions but as a trend it holds.

*Genetic study reveals surprising ancestry of many Americans | Science | AAAS

AA are now a distinct sub-group of Black people.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:02 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
The average AA is about 22%-25%* white and that makes a huge difference in both structure of the face/body and skin tone. I can generally tell an AA from a continental African pretty easily. There are of course exceptions but as a trend it holds.
Yet, even an AA with a high percentage of European heritage may pass as an African.

Then there is the fact that there is quite a bit of phenotype diversity in Africa. West Africans are easily distinguishable from South Africans who are easily distinguishable from East Africans.

Thus an African American may not simply pass as, for example, a Cameroonian, but a Cameroonian might assume that they are simply from another part of Africa if they had no other clue as to the person's origin.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:29 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post

*Genetic study reveals surprising ancestry of many Americans | Science | AAAS

AA are now a distinct sub-group of Black people.
^^^This

Old 09-13-2017, 05:50 PM

491 posts, read 324,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
^^^This

And a sub-group I am very fond of. The best looking Black women are almost entirely AAs or failing that from the Horn of Africa. Those 2 groups look obviously different in the majority of cases from the stereotypical African look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World