Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 01:14 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,437,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Frisian words still used in modern English are: Bread, Butter, Cheese, Yacht, Spoon and many others. Old English would have sounded most similar to Frisian and Old German. It also would have been close enough to have been mostly understood by Danes, Norwegians and Swedes as well in early times.
However modern English has borrowed so much from so many other languages it almost cant even be called English anymore.
They did some Dna studies of the modern English talking a sampling of DNA markers from men in villages spanning from the Norfolk coast across a swath of central England to the Welsh border. The dna markers didnt match Norway or Germany, rather Frisians from the NW coast of Holland across NW Germany into the western half of the Danish peninsula.
This would be consistent with Frisian and other coastal Germanic tribal war bands in the 6th and 7th centuries setting sail from their western coastlines in longboats where south westerly tradewinds would have brought them to landfall from the fens southward along the norfolk coast to the Thames estuary and Kent. Exactly as the venerable "Bead" had written years later in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles as the history of the English people and their origins
Correct! The study was released in 2002, when Central English samples were found to be identical to the Frisian samples.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:50 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Frisan & Dutch certainly sound more like generic English.

On the other hand, luxembourgish does have the potential to, one day, be a contender. It's base is the Platt Deutsche dialect, Mosel-Frankish. Since the French invasion under Napoleon, it's had a heavy French influence, and most recently borrowing from English. It may resemble English after the Norman invasion.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:45 AM

189 posts, read 222,136 times
English word "baby" and Gujarati word બેબ (bēba) [a baby] are related.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:00 AM

English word "baby", Gujarati word બેબ (bēba) [a baby] and Vietnamese word "em bé" [a baby] are related.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:08 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radik Safin View Post
English word "baby" and Gujarati word બેબ (bēba) [a baby] are related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radik Safin View Post
English word "baby", Gujarati word બેબ (bēba) [a baby] and Vietnamese word "em bé" [a baby] are related.
Maybe it's just me, but I have this strange feeling that the English "baby" has the same Indo-European roots as the French "bébé", the Spanish "bebé" The Serbo-Croatian "беба" and especially the German and Dutch "baby".

Just sayin'

Old 07-11-2016, 06:14 PM

14,318 posts, read 11,714,153 times
I doubt the Vietnamese word for "baby" is genetically related to the same word in various Indo-European languages unless it is a loan word. There is such a thing as coincidence.

For example, Japanese "onna" and Italian "donna" sound very similar and both mean "woman," but they are not related at all.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I have this strange feeling that the English "baby" has the same Indo-European roots as the French "bébé", the Spanish "bebé" The Serbo-Croatian "беба" and especially the German and Dutch "baby".
In this list we must add the Welsh word "babi" [a baby, a moppet], the Irish word "babaí" [a baby, a small child], the Hungarian word "baba" [a baby] and the Thai word เบ๊บ (Béb) [a baby, a child].

Old 07-13-2016, 01:42 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,963,772 times
Scots is English. It's sort of a "subspecies" of English. If anything, it's a mutually unintelligible English dialect. It's not a disparate language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I doubt the Vietnamese word for "baby" is genetically related to the same word in various Indo-European languages unless it is a loan word. There is such a thing as coincidence.
You're right that it isn't genetically related and that it's a loanword. Because Turkish, a Turkic language, also uses "baby" (pronounced "bebe"). "Baby" seems rather universal - I know some Semitic speakers who use it often.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post

You're right that it isn't genetically related and that it's a loanword. Because Turkish, a Turkic language, also uses "baby" (pronounced "bebe"). "Baby" seems rather universal - I know some Semitic speakers who use it often.
The Turkish word "bebe" [a baby, an infant] also is related with the English word "baby".
The nations can borrow the name of instruments of labor, the name of food, scientific terms, but never borrow the name of their children and relatives.
Besides the Turks, Hungarians, Thais and Vietnamese the English word "baby" is akin to the Indonesians and Javanese.
Indonesian "bayi" - an infant. Javanese "bayi" - an infant.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:31 AM

125 posts, read 174,188 times
I would say Danish. English sounds the most like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.