Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
No, I'm not a military type. I agree that no nation "has" to be involved in the rest of the world. However, I think it's kind of a default thing for the U.S.

Even though the power of the U.S. has waned somewhat, it is still the most economically, politically and militarily powerful country in the world today. This means that most other countries expect the U.S. to also have a disproportionate influence on world affairs. In almost every age, there is that one or two countries that have this status. It comes with the territory. Otherwise, there will be a power vacuum and nutcases like Bin Laden and Gaddafi (and plenty of others) will try to create instability in the world.

At least that's how I see it.
Of course, Bin Laden came about after fighting the Soviets from invading Afghanistan. And since America wanted to keep communism from spreading (ya know, being world police and all) we gave Bin Laden weapons. Yet we kept our military presence in the region (for oil) even after the Soviet Union fell. Obviously people aren't going to appreciate over staying your welcome when you're in their backyard. America's imperialism is mostly what fuels extremists in the first place.

And this whole world police thing seems hypocritical. Why haven't we invaded Cuba or Mexico? They're obviously creating instability within the US, especially through drug trafficking. It doesn't seem to me that we treat every country equally based on what they provide for us.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Of course, Bin Laden came about after fighting the Soviets from invading Afghanistan. And since America wanted to keep communism from spreading (ya know, being world police and all) we gave Bin Laden weapons. Yet we kept our military presence in the region (for oil) even after the Soviet Union fell. Obviously people aren't going to appreciate over staying your welcome when you're in their backyard. America's imperialism is mostly what fuels extremists in the first place.

And this whole world police thing seems hypocritical. Why haven't we invaded Cuba or Mexico? They're obviously creating instability within the US, especially through drug trafficking. It doesn't seem to me that we treat every country equally based on what they provide for us.
The world is an imperfect place to say the least. Just like with individuals, your friend today betrays you and becomes your worst enemy tomorrow. It's tough to call the shots, but what's the alternative? Let the world disintegrate into a Syria or a Libya or a Rwanda? That's why I said it's a dirty job.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:47 AM

56 posts, read 41,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
Welcome to C-D.

Florida and Georgia does not represent all of the U.S. - that's only southeastern U.S. region.
My point is that no other countries offer as much as this nation does and have done, partially because it's also a huge country (size of continental Europe), international, history, etc.
I'm fully aware of the fact that I only know a small fraction of the United States. I just wanted to clarify that I'm not one of those guys wha has never set a foot on american ground.

Quote:
Yeah, there are lots of beautiful countries out there as well, and Switzerland being one of them. But does Switzerland offer all type of climates in the world, offer as much job opportunities, offer as much diversity, offer low/no taxes, have huge cities, etc.? No, so now you got it.
Do the US offer a great public transportation system, great chocolate, watches, cheese, direct democracy? No! Do the US have as many millionaires per capita as we have? No you don't! But I don't claim that my county is the best in the world just because of this!

Switzerland doesn't offer all the climates of the world (even though we have a alpine, mediteranean, and central european areas) but it doesn't make a difference. Because if I want to go to the beach I can just go to italy or spain. Somebody who lives in Wyoming or Iowa is just as far away from the next coast.

We also have a very strong economy with a lot of job opportunities and a lot of diversity (there is a german, french and italian speaking part and about 20% immigrants). And you're right we pay higher taxes. But we also get a lot more in return! We don't need a 100k to get a decent education (and our universitys are very good and high ranking as well) , we have one of the best public transportation systems and our social security and health care are very good as well. And even though our cities are small, they offer most of the benefits that an american city offers. (Except for the biggest ones like NYC, LA etc.)

Quote:
Regards to religion. Yes, most of us Americans are very religious and PROUD of it. The U.S. national motto is 'In God We Trust' and also shows on our money, federal buildings, etc. What's wrong with being religious? The main reason why most of Europe is in declined is due to acting unbiblical and unGodly.
But countries with a very big atheist population and low church attendance rates (like sweden, norway, germany, switzerland, the netherlands etc.) are a lot better of than the more religious countries: Greece, Spain, Italy and Ireland.

Quote:
Thank GOD the age limit of alcohol is 21 (used to be 18 long time ago), and Thank GOD for illegal prostitution, ban of public alcohol consumption, etc. that is terrible for everyone. Anyone who likes these type of bad lifestyle and dirty should seek a physical doctor.
You want your children to use and grow up with these type of bad lifestyle?
Why are these things bad for everyone? There is no vitctim so it shouldn't be considered a crime! If you punch someone in the face or steal his car there obviously is a victim! Because you hurt his face or his wallet. If I drink a couple of beers by the river or have sex with a prostitute (which btw I've never had) this doesn't hurt you! It only hurts your religious/moralic feelings. And as you say yourself freedom of religion is very important in the US (just as in Europe) so you shouldn't impose your moralic standards on everybody else. And even though prostitution is legal and widespread in Switzerland I have never seen a single prostitute as a child! So don't worry about your kids seeing this bad lifestyle. Just avoid the redlight and party districts at night!

Quote:
The U.S. has the world's best and well-known universities, great public schools (in many places, that's regional). Yes, there are both low-income and very wealthy here, that's what makes this nation great. Why can't the rich show off their money by having mansions, nice cars, etc.? This is one of the reason I don't like in Europe - their "average lifestyle".
You only have a few very good universities and those are almost only for the rich people as poors can't afford the high study fees. I can't really judge your public school system as I don't know it. And I don't have a problem with showing of your wealth. I wouldn't do it (we swiss are very humble) but I'm tolerant and respect you're way of life in this regard.

Quote:
The U.S. is not 100% freedom. We still have some laws and rules to follow. The main thing is we have freedom of speech and freedom of religion. If we had 100% freedom then there wouldn't be any police, any laws or anything. Freedom does not necessary mean prostituition, drinking in public (showing our children unhealthy lifestyle) or whatsoever is bad for everyone!
Your personal oppinion is that this things are bad for everyone. In my opinion religion is more often than not bad for everyone. Do I want to ban religion? NO! I don't care if you are religious or not as long as you don't restrict other peoples rights because of it! You should do the same and be tolerant!

Best regards ThatSwissGuy

Old 06-21-2012, 10:54 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namegoeshere View Post
Hint: Statistics aren't about "when did it happen to me last time?", but about how often things happen on average. When the occurrence for some event in one place is not just slightly higher, but a mutliple of the occurrence of that event in another place, there must be some underlying reason.

"It never happened to me" is about as smart as "When I close my eyes, no one can see me".
Yea, im just saying we're not all living in a country full of crime, and someone said awhile back "Americans are living in fear" lol, there is plenty of states with very low crime rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namegoeshere View Post
It's quite obvious that you've never been murdered before.
This made me laugh

Old 06-21-2012, 10:54 AM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
The world is an imperfect place to say the least. Just like with individuals, your friend today betrays you and becomes your worst enemy tomorrow.
Please do not substitute something like "friendship" with material and geopolitical gains that are at the core of international agreements, then you'll not make a mistake about the "betrayal" of America by *friends* ( i.e Islamic fanatics - mujaheddins.)

Quote:
It's tough to call the shots, but what's the alternative?
The alternative ( for once) was to not to interfere into Russian affairs in post-Soviet times, with an attempt to remove potential political and economic competitor once and for all, and to leave the world multi-polar.

Quote:
Let the world disintegrate into a Syria or a Libya or a Rwanda? That's why I said it's a dirty job.
Sure, sure, it's either American way, or "Syria or a Lybia, or Rwanda" way in the rest of the world, with nothing in-between. ( Besides, Syria and Lybia are separate issues as far as oil and foreign intervention are concerned.)
( And with that uni-polar American way, the world is disintegrating rather fast by the way...)

Old 06-21-2012, 10:56 AM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSwissGuy View Post
I'm fully aware of the fact that I only know a small fraction of the United States. I just wanted to clarify that I'm not one of those guys wha has never set a foot on american ground.

Do the US offer a great public transportation system, great chocolate, watches, cheese, direct democracy? No! Do the US have as many millionaires per capita as we have? No you don't! But I don't claim that my county is the best in the world just because of this!

/quote]
Great chocolate?
Definitely not
( Err... add public transportation there.)

Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Please do not substitute something like "friendship" with material and geopolitical gains that are at the core of international agreements, then you'll not make a mistake about the "betrayal" of America by *friends* ( i.e Islamic fanatics - mujaheddins.)

The alternative ( for once) was to not to interfere into Russian affairs in post-Soviet times, with an attempt to remove potential political and economic competitor once and for all, and to leave the world multi-polar.

Sure, sure, it's either American way, or "Syria or a Lybia, or Rwanda" way in the rest of the world, with nothing in-between. ( Besides, Syria and Lybia are separate issues as far as oil and foreign intervention are concerned.)
( And with that uni-polar American way, the world is disintegrating rather fast by the way...)
I am reminded of something I read in a biography of George Washington. They say he said never, ever to rely on "friendships" with other countries. Regardless of what they promise, they will always do what is in their own best interest. As longas you can foresee what they will consider to be in their own interest, you can prepare for their future actions. (I'm paraphrasing)

Old 06-21-2012, 11:30 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSwissGuy View Post

We also have a very strong economy with a lot of job opportunities and a lot of diversity (there is a german, french and italian speaking part and about 20% immigrants).

You only have a few very good universities and those are almost only for the rich people as poors can't afford the high study fees. I can't really judge your public school system as I don't know it. And I don't have a problem with showing of your wealth. I wouldn't do it (we swiss are very humble) but I'm tolerant and respect you're way of life in this regard.
LOL! Great chocolate and watches are now the mark of an advanced society? This is a new measure I haven't heard of before, I think the UN should be notified so they'll include that in their rating system for countries with the highest standard of living. (Don't worry, Switzerland is already #1 even without the chocolate and watches in the assessment )

Great post, SwissGuy. I personally can vouch for your high chocolate and watch rating; I've bought both when in Switzerland. I love your country, but it's very expensive for visitors.

I just have a couple of quibbles with your post, otherwise I agree with everything.
1. Europeans of different nationalities/linguistic groups doesn't count as diversity from a global perspective, sorry. White people and more White people? That's not diversity. Not that it matters, particularly; Europe tends to be fairly homogeneous, so Switzerland is not alone in that respect.

2. The poor do get university education, though this has become more challenging in the last decade, as federal stipends for the poor have shrunk, and university tuition has increased too much, so that most students (not just the poor) have to take out loans that leave them with a crushing debt upon graduation. Something should be done about this, but our government has become seriously dysfunctional, and isn't able to solve problems. Of course, the weak economy plays a role in this, obviously. Actually, public universities have begun to address the problem themselves by initiating fund-raising programs to create their own stipend fund for students. You do realize, don't you, that one reason Switzerland is prosperous is due to its system of secret bank accounts, something that's becoming a bit of an international problem?

One more thing; it's easy to have direct democracy when you have a small population. The US used to have this, too. Whether or not it should return to such a system is the subject of heated debate. Stay tuned for further developments on that front.

Welcome to C-D.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:43 AM

10,107 posts, read 14,972,719 times
I have issues with the American government, especially concerning its foreign policy and its stupidity when it comes to spending tax money.

This causes me to be quite critical of the US, at times I may even appear to be anti-American. But in reality, I'm not anti-American. I like American people and much of American culture, I think the US is a very beautiful country (albeit, it can be a little too monotonous for my tastes) and I'm glad the US is the world's superpower rather than some rouge state like North Korea.

Just don't get me started on the US government. Just don't. lol

Oh yes, I don't like how Americans are so fixated on racial issues and I don't like the US racial system. I think having a binary racial system creates too much friction, its better to accept that there are people of mixed race and let them identify as that. It creates a nice buffer zone between the two extremes and helps smooth race relations. At least, that has been the case in countries where mixed race people are not subject to widespread denial of their existence.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:44 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
No, I'm not a military type. I agree that no nation "has" to be involved in the rest of the world. However, I think it's kind of a default thing for the U.S.

Even though the power of the U.S. has waned somewhat, it is still the most economically, politically and militarily powerful country in the world today. This means that most other countries expect the U.S. to also have a disproportionate influence on world affairs. In almost every age, there is that one or two countries that have this status. It comes with the territory. Otherwise, there will be a power vacuum and nutcases like Bin Laden and Gaddafi (and plenty of others) will try to create instability in the world.

At least that's how I see it.
They make it a default thing.
No, it does not mean that other countries expect the US to be the bullies of the world. Disproportionate influence standing behind a gun aimed at people.
So you just prefer violent, war-obsessed nutcases from the US.
There's very little difference between the US and others trying to create instability in the world.

You really need to take your blinders off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World