Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 8,137 times

Advertisements

Single parent wants to relocate from US.

Please provide your best counsel: what is the best city to live in and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 05:17 PM

575 posts, read 3,131,538 times
Switzerland is said to have one of the highest quality of life in the world. Particularily Zurich and Geneva rank as the top two cities in the world for quality of life. Everything is so clean there, but taxes are high.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:27 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Default Iceland

According to this year's U.N. human development study, Iceland.

Iceland best place to live, Africa worst: UN | U.S. | Reuters

Old 12-01-2007, 08:11 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,633,862 times
Best places on paper aren't necessarily the best for you. It depends what you're looking for in a place to live.

Quality of Living vs. the quality of life

The Quality of Living index is based on several criteria used to judge whether an expatriate is entitled to a hardship allowance. A city with a high Quality of Living index is a safe and stable one, but it may be lacking the dynamic je ne sais quoi that makes people want to live in world-renowned cities such as Paris, Tokyo, London or New York. Sometimes you need a little spice to make a city exciting. But that "spice" may also give a city a lower ranking.

What makes one person's quality of life better or worse cannot be quantified in an objective index. Therefore, Mercer's Quality of Living report reflects only the tangible aspects of living in a city on expatriate assignments, and leaves the question of the quality of one's life to those living it!

Highlights from the 2007 Quality of Living Survey

Old 12-01-2007, 08:36 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Red face To this extent

I wish I knew. The Scandinavian countries appear attractive in many regards. Obviously compromises wherever you go, so the answer in large part what you are seeking from life.

While it might be a very good idea leaving the US in the near future, if present trends continue many troubles may follow you; it is just possible that the global financial system and economies may become seriously unhinged within the next several years. If that the case your choice of home should be cast with an eye towards personal sufficiency and sustainability. To an extent on national and more so local efforts for survival and a certain quality of life. Would depend, particularly on the region and prevailing attitudes.

Maybe an island? A certain comfort there, and not just psychological. Some place in the tropics would recommend itself as affording many of the basics of life without depending on much infrastructure. But you'd have to be pretty remote not to notice effects should things become serious elsewhere. Hopefully, to a lesser extent.

That said, while planning for the proverbial rainy day might as well enjoy the sun.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:51 PM

48 posts, read 208,486 times
From my personal experience of living there, Scandinavian countries. If you find a way to immigrate there as a US citizen let me know.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:24 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,633,862 times
Most Europeans find Scandinavian countries and Scandinavian people boring. I doubt it's ideal for the average American. I guess it depends on the person and from where in America they would relocate to a Scandinavian country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1033 View Post
From my personal experience of living there, Scandinavian countries. If you find a way to immigrate there as a US citizen let me know.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:42 AM

578 posts, read 3,062,868 times
Many reports that report which country has the best quality of life vary from one to another as most are independently done so they have to be taken with a pinch of salt, but it all depends on what you want from life, many find Europe to be an attractive place to live where as I could never live in Europe so it all depends on what cultures and interests you like/want etc...

Old 12-02-2007, 01:21 PM

469 posts, read 2,735,933 times
From a purely practical standpoint, how are you planning to work and provide for yourself and your child? You can't just live and work in Europe because you want to -- you have to have a work visa, which is VERY difficult to get.

It's useless to throw out Iceland or Switzerland as suggestions, if the chances of her actually being able to move and live there are slim to none.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:20 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,644,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Most Europeans find Scandinavian countries and Scandinavian people boring. I doubt it's ideal for the average American. I guess it depends on the person and from where in America they would relocate to a Scandinavian country.
Do they? I've never noticed that anyway, and Sweden is ranked very high in list of the most popular countries for European tourists.

I'm biased, so I can't vote for Sweden or Denmark or Norway on this and have any credibility left, so I'd say... I have no idea really. It's impossible to tell if one hasn't lived in them all and gone through the same things in each country.
One can give you some facts and opinions on living in a certain country, but not compare them to all 191 countries left if one excludes USA. So you'd have to read and analyze on your own. And even that is not a garanty for sucess, as all opinions on a forum are just subjective.

What do you find "the best"? What are your priorities, besides from your child, obviously? If your child is number one, I'd say Sweden, since Sweden is "the country best suited for having children in" (just don't ask why we don't have more kids than we do). But, other than that, I don't know without having some more variables to play with.

Do you have any preferances as to what continent you want to live on? Or country? Or culture? And do you have, as Mississippienne said, any knowledge of the VISAs you might be able to get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World