Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 11:04 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
The US is an example of a economically free, socially conservative country. Unless you live in places like NY, SF and a few others, I could never stand the intrusion other people take in your life, the importance of religion in politics, among other things. Being an atheist, 95% of the US would be closed to me.
It's not just about religion mate. This is a terribly conformist society, in which most people live in accordance with a "plan", as in you must do/be X by a certain age. Religion is a part of it, but by no means the whole picture. I've read and heard tales of Americans in the UK claiming that they're unhappy because British people have no drive or ambition. I correct them, because just maybe us Brits don't give as much of a rat's arse about it?

NYC is a culture in itself and not a representation of the US. For that reason, I could happily live there myself.

It's not as easy to be "different" over here, IMO. The weak and poor are looked down on and blamed for their ills. It's almost like...if you're not successful in terms of business or a sportsman or celebrity of some kind, you are worthless crap.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:28 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
The US is an example of a economically free, socially conservative country. Unless you live in places like NY, SF and a few others, I could never stand the intrusion other people take in your life, the importance of religion in politics, among other things. Being an atheist, 95% of the US would be closed to me.
It used to be considered impolite to discuss religion at all, and politics as well. It still is, in some parts of the US, religion especially. I've been an atheist all my life, and have lived in several states. Never had a problem. If it were a problem, I imagine that Buddhism wouldn't be one of the fastest-growing religions in the US.

The idea that there's something morally wrong with people who aren't able to rise above their humble circumstances comes from the Puritan heritage, some analysts say. There was the idea in the early days of the nation that hard work was rewarded with wealth, and being a hard worker was next to godliness. So wealth became the proof of godliness.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:55 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
It's not just about religion mate. This is a terribly conformist society, in which most people live in accordance with a "plan", as in you must do/be X by a certain age. Religion is a part of it, but by no means the whole picture. I've read and heard tales of Americans in the UK claiming that they're unhappy because British people have no drive or ambition. I correct them, because just maybe us Brits don't give as much of a rat's arse about it?

NYC is a culture in itself and not a representation of the US. For that reason, I could happily live there myself.

It's not as easy to be "different" over here, IMO. The weak and poor are looked down on and blamed for their ills. It's almost like...if you're not successful in terms of business or a sportsman or celebrity of some kind, you are worthless crap.

europe is a lot more conformist than many let on , i happen to think america is more tollerant of different lifestyles provided you dont expect the tax payer to pick up the tab

Old 06-23-2012, 03:20 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
Youtube? Really? You confirmed exactly what I could tell by your first post: that your primary source of American English is through the media--which is why I asked. What you are saying is so ridiculous, I could just tell. Sorry, but you really don't know what you are talking about. It's amazing how people can speak with so much authority about other countries when they have no clue. See World, Americans aren't the only ones who do it. Exhibit A ^^^^
Youtube is not "the media", I'm talking about regular folks who upload videos on YT to talk about random stuff. And this was only one example of how I learned about American accents, I also mentioned documentaries and news reports; if something newsworthy happens in, say, Miami or New York there are usually reporters there to talk to people on the street. Your idea that I have to personally speak to someone from every single state and city in the US in order to have an informed opinion about American accents is absurd. Again, you may think that there is a huge difference between a Boston accent and an LA accent but from an outside perspective, the difference is minimal (relatively speaking). It's nothing like the difference between the London and Newcastle accents for example.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:25 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
NYC and SF areas make up about 9 percent of the U.S. population.

What other cities would you add?

Old 06-23-2012, 07:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post

Actually there are entire 'slacker cities' where young people without ambitions go to just 'live life'...that place use to be California. These days it seems to be the Pacific Northwest (Portland OR especially, to a lesser degree Seattle - although Seattle's becoming more and more ambitious). Other famous slacker cities like Austin TX, etc. There are also in other liberal and slacker-like cities but not as famously so, like in Minneapolis, Madison, etc. I've head Chicago has a ton of 'hipsters' as well - which seem to embody the dream of educated and un-ambitious.

If you're into athiest cities, again, most of the West is generally indifferent about religion, with the Pacific Northwest having very low church attendance levels.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 06-23-2012 at 07:57 PM..

Old 06-23-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Actually there are entire 'slacker cities' where young people without ambitions go to just 'live life'...that place use to be California. These days it seems to be the Pacific Northwest (Portland OR especially, to a lesser degree Seattle - although Seattle's becoming more and more ambitious). Other famous slacker cities like Austin TX, etc. There are also in other liberal and slacker-like cities but not as famously so, like in Minneapolis, Madison, etc. I've head Chicago has a ton of 'hipsters' as well - which seem to embody your dream of educated and un-ambitious.

If you're into athiest cities, again, most of the West is generally indifferent about religion, with the Pacific Northwest having very low church attendance levels.
I agree. The PNW is the exception to the rule. That's one of the reasons why I love California. People are free to just "be" and not feel the pressure to conform as in other parts of the US.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
europe is a lot more conformist than many let on , i happen to think america is more tollerant of different lifestyles provided you dont expect the tax payer to pick up the tab
Depends WHERE in Europe Bob. Some countries are more/less tolerant than others. I could probably list the countries I perceive to be the most tolerant.

I never found the UK to be that conformist. We don't have the same "forced" work ethic, nor are we overly ambitious. Some hate the UK for that reason, but I prefer the "live and let live" attitude where people don't tend to care so long as your actions doesn't cause harm to others. That's not to say that Britain doesn't have it's share of racist wankers, BNP / EDL idiots.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:35 PM

156 posts, read 195,597 times
That's not quite true in Seattle. If one is not whole-heartedly accepting of the liberal 'progressive' wonky talk the conformity is just as noxious as the career-oriented ambition trek elsewhere. It is claimed as a dislike for materialism but really just masquerades as inability to accept a schedule

Old 06-23-2012, 08:54 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankums View Post
That's not quite true in Seattle. If one is not whole-heartedly accepting of the liberal 'progressive' wonky talk the conformity is just as noxious as the career-oriented ambition trek elsewhere. It is claimed as a dislike for materialism but really just masquerades as inability to accept a schedule
I was actually thinking of the 'conformity of non-comformity' as well. Actually Seattle actually is an ambitious city with world-class leanings. So, it's already filled with yuppies and those aspiring to be yuppies, just as much as San Francisco, etc.

But, take a city like Portland Oregon. You'll find a conformity of people feeling anti-religion, anti-establishment, etc. It's a conformity to non-conformity, but you must conform to it, to really feel like you belong.

I don't personally mind that, but it's just another form of conforming to the greater culture of an area.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 06-23-2012 at 09:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World