Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2015, 04:38 AM

159 posts, read 177,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Most American cities look boring to be honest especially Houston
Houston is not too bad. It's no London or New York but has plenty of interesting things to do and see.

You may be surprised.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Vancouver has the reputation of "no fun city". It great if you love the outdoors but the city itself is pretty boring and reserved.

There are so many boring cities in the US it's hard to know where to start. The reality is that the vast majority of medium/big US cities are boring and devoid of life after 6PM. Yes most are getting better but the high crime rates, massive suburbs, poor public transit, and lack of shopping in their cores tends to keep everyone away. For many Americans downtown is the closest mall.

In this regard Canadian cities are VERY different from their American counterparts.
I'm not sure that clubbing or live music venues are all that important to most Americans. One thing about the US is if there's a demand, someone will start a business. So if you're seeing cities without a lot of night life, it's because there's not enough interest to support such a business in that particular area.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:08 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,622,264 times
1) Cologne, Germany
2) Luxemburg City, Luxemburg
3) Osaka, Japan
4) Phoenix, Arizona
5) Perth, Australia

Been to all...

Old 02-14-2015, 07:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
1) Cologne, Germany
3) Osaka, Japan
4) Phoenix, Arizona
5) Perth, Australia

Been to all...
Oh my gosh, I forgot about Luxemburg City - I think that must be THE MOST BORING CITY I have ever experienced. Now - it was beautiful. But so boring that it almost seemed deserted. In fact, my husband and I remarked that it was a surreal experience.

I thought Cologne was interesting though. Not RIVETING but interesting.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:03 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Hobart
Canberra
Brisbane
Auckland
Wellington
Frankfurt
Dublin
Glasgow
Birmingham
I can say other than Shopping and restaurants Birmingham is a very generic city come to think of it most UK cities are generic...shopping centre, some shopping streets, old buildings and buses don't forget the buses...

Old 02-14-2015, 08:22 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,786 times
Houston has been a blast for me so far...my coworker and i were just talking about how we find that there are a ton of things to do...no complaints from us!

National Geographic ranks Houston #8 on "Best Nightlife Cities" list | abc13.com

(Here it comes...lol)

Old 02-14-2015, 09:21 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,299,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
1) Cologne, Germany
3) Osaka, Japan
4) Phoenix, Arizona
5) Perth, Australia

Been to all...
You found Osaka boring? Dear Lord.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
It's not the city that is boring, but the circumstances you find yourself in when you are there.

I once spend an unknown number of days in Madrid, about which I remember absolutely nothing. I recall that I took a bus trip to Toledo and back, but I must have been in a coma while in Madrid. It was a stopover on a flight back from West Africa. After Africa, what can Madrid do for an encore?

I remember a couple of places where I spent most of the time looking at my watch wondering if it was time to leave yet -- Zurich, Rotterdam and Edinburgh come to mind. Edinburgh, I was just freezing to death in December, with barely a few hours of overcast daylight, throwing rolls of shillings into the little space heater and burrowing down under the quilts and calling the dour landlady for more hot tea.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-14-2015 at 09:39 AM..

Old 02-14-2015, 09:41 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
V

There are so many boring cities in the US it's hard to know where to start. The reality is that the vast majority of medium/big US cities are boring and devoid of life after 6PM. Yes most are getting better but the high crime rates, massive suburbs, poor public transit, and lack of shopping in their cores tends to keep everyone away. For many Americans downtown is the closest mall.

In this regard Canadian cities are VERY different from their American counterparts.
Not true, at all. Canada is very auto-oriented, just like the U.S. In fact no city in Canada has higher transit orientation than the largest U.S. city.

Canada has somewhat higher transit share, but not much higher, and that's probably in part because of lower incomes, more expensive gas, more expensive cars, higher degree of urbanization (almost no rural population, and most people in a few metro areas), and a higher degree of centralization. But outside of core Toronto or Montreal it would be hell to not have a car.

And for most Canadians, downtown is also the closest mall.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:42 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
You found Osaka boring? Dear Lord.
Yup, calling Osaka boring seems a bit odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World