Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Atlanta Viewed as a Cool/Hip and Big City?
Yes, no doubt about it! 15 20.83%
No way 37 51.39%
I'm not sure, but I've heard things about the city 20 27.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingClever23 View Post
Hahaha, Syracusa, so it has appeal in Europe? May I also ask where in Europe you are from?

Trimac20, what are the typical US cities on an Australian's radar?
Really only LA, SF, NY, DC, LV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 11:05 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,444,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingClever23 View Post
Hahaha, Syracusa, so it has appeal in Europe? May I also ask where in Europe you are from?
Appeal? Hmmm...hard to say. All I know is what was in my head 14 years ago, which was not much, at least not in terms of American geography and understanding of American culture. I was also pretty young at the time, of course. Being from Eastern Europe and having grown up under the communist system, I tended to lump up "The West" into one big ball of ..."Other". So to me, America and Western Europe was supposed to be kind of the same thing - Western.
Boy was I wrong and Lord, did I learn.

All I remember was that Atlanta did indeed have a certain appeal in the sense that many Europeans thought it was a big and lively city - very far from the truth.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
We can only assume it is Syracusa on the island of Sicily, which is borderline third world.
You can assume whatever you want, but I'd rather live in your "3rd world scare" if I had the money to support myself, then in a manicured tomb, paradoxically running 1000 miles an hour to get things "done" all day long, with zero actual living.
Unfortunately, I do not have the money to move to Sicily. They do indeed have a very weak economy, and unless you are part of the local maze of connections, no way, Jose. Is this what you call "3rd world"?
But what does this have to do with the lifestyle? If you're in, you live beautifully. Too bad I am not in.
That's why I got stuck in Atlanta...because I have had to be a job beggar for a long time.

Otherwise, if you compare the beauty and the atmosphere full of life of Sicily with the dryness and nothingness of Atlanta...you've got to be kidding me.

Atlanta is "9th world" in terms of joy of living.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:23 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
I have been to Atlanta several times for work ....

- the city is fairly uninteresting
- the road congestion is bad
- the airport is horrendous (so are Delta)
- the weather in summer is to be avoided.

Hope this helps

Old 07-18-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I have been to Atlanta several times for work ....

- the city is fairly uninteresting
- the road congestion is bad
- the airport is horrendous (so are Delta)
- the weather in summer is to be avoided.

Hope this helps
Ouch. I am hardly an Atlanta fan but you make it sound really grim. And perhaps it is, but I live there and it kind of hits too close to home ; so let me mend it a little bit and offer the silver lining.

- It is a clean and comfortable city - well, yeah, in the nicer/goody-goody suburbs.
- You can be an average Joe and still live in a very nice house with all the creature comforts you can imagine.
- It is very advantageous to be in a city with such a large airport.
- The weather in the winter can be superb and the envy of all those who fight monstrous winters elsewhere.

I am maybe underestimating the tortures of Atlanta summers because we typically escape this city during the summer months....

Old 07-18-2012, 12:29 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
There is also a Syracuse in New York Mr Joshua.
You're not familiar with Syracusa, are you?

Old 07-18-2012, 12:33 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
You can assume whatever you want, but I'd rather live in your "3rd world scare" if I had the money to support myself, then in a manicured tomb, paradoxically running 1000 miles an hour to get things "done" all day long, with zero actual living.
Unfortunately, I do not have the money to move to Sicily. They do indeed have a very weak economy, and unless you are part of the local maze of connections, no way, Jose. Is this what you call "3rd world"?
But what does this have to do with the lifestyle? If you're in, you live beautifully. Too bad I am not in.
That's why I got stuck in Atlanta...because I have had to be a job beggar for a long time.

Otherwise, if you compare the beauty and the atmosphere full of life of Sicily with the dryness and nothingness of Atlanta...you've got to be kidding me.

Atlanta is "9th world" in terms of joy of living.
I have seen Syracusa and much of it is not beautiful. Trash, graffiti, and ugly post modernist architecture with balconies full of drying clothes.

Of course a lot of it is great too.

See how that works? It's called being an adult.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I have seen Syracusa and much of it is not beautiful. Trash, graffiti, and ugly post modernist architecture with balconies full of drying clothes.

Of course a lot of it is great too.

See how that works? It's called being an adult.
Well...I don't know about Siracusa because I've never been there. (And what you're talking about is Siracusa ... with an i).
But I do know about Sicily. It is gorgeous and the lifestyle is heaven compared to uptight, dry, rat-race Atlanta.

Yes, this is how it works - and I am an adult.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:53 PM

14 posts, read 23,942 times
Why the hating on ATL, everyone? I really don't understand why it gets bashed so much.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:08 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,917 times
I think Atlanta is one of a couple of dozen major American cities. It often gets a bad rap due to its Southern location and the associated stereotypes. Culturally speaking, Atlanta has earned its reputation as the de facto capital of the Deep South.

On the negative side, I would put Atlanta into a category with Seattle, as a city whose inhabitants and/or supporters tend to overstate their city's importance in the broader hierarchy of American cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World