Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who in your experience are more shallow in terms of how they view others?
Americans 52 73.24%
Western Europeans 19 26.76%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 06:46 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
United States must be the only Western country where obesity is considered beautiful.
It's not about what's on the outside it's what's on the inside

Old 07-28-2012, 06:56 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If this is the way they view others, then YES, they ARE shallow.
BTW: why the Americans obsession about bleached teeth and Botox?
Why the obsession with teeth brightening has gond beyond the pale - The Boston Globe
Don't forget: breast implants.

1 word: M A R K E T I N G !

Old 07-28-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
United States must be the only Western country where obesity is considered beautiful.
Germany. The dept. stores have mannequins for heavy women. I hadn't noticed that obesity is considered beautiful in the US, though, except for NM.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:11 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Germany. The dept. stores have mannequins for heavy women. I hadn't noticed that obesity is considered beautiful in the US, though, except for NM.
Wasn't there this whole "big is beautiful" campaign a few years back?

Do you have a photo of those mannequins for heavy women? I'm really curious because I never noticed those.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:26 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
I can't imagine why anyone would have chosen Western Europeans as being more shallow. Just take a look at an American tv show vs one in Europe. Notice how American actors/actresses are all gorgeous/handsome, super thin/fit, and young? European actors are a mixed bag..more real looking...like real people.

American culture is entirely based on being a good consumer. The media dictates how we think of ourselves and each other and unfortunately success is entirely based on what you do for a career, how much you own,how much money you make, and how good you look. Aging hardly seem "allowed" or acceptable. The constant pressure to be all these things here often makes people stressed out, depressed,addicted to anything from food, alcohol, shopping, pills, etc., and constantly feeling like they don't have enough. I run into quite successful people career wise and more often than not they are rarely happy, their families/kids never see them, and are pressured to be in full work mode constantly since it's expected.

Politically, we get limited useful or unbiased information via fancy graphics mixed in with "breaking/shocking" headlines with something about Tom Cruises divorce, Snookie's pregnancy, or some cute youtube animal video mixed in. Americans don't want facts and real news, they thrive on b.s., political opinion and slick talking points not based on anything meaningful. Talk about shallow.

There isn't any question here, and whomever voted the other way would simply be defensive of any criticism because of false patriotism.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:31 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I can't imagine why anyone would have chosen Western Europeans as being more shallow. Just take a look at an American tv show vs one in Europe. Notice how American actors/actresses are all gorgeous/handsome, super thin/fit, and young? European actors are a mixed bag..more real looking...like real people.
you're basing your judgment of the two cultures on TV shows, that about right?

Old 07-29-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Wasn't there this whole "big is beautiful" campaign a few years back?
That was a fringe phenomenon. Fashion and women's mags are still using thin models. Nothing has changed.

Why would I have photos of dept. store mannequins??

Old 07-29-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I love this about European film! But Europe has royalty who tend to fit the gorgeous, thin/fit niche, the young members, anyway. The US has no royalty, so Hollywood stars fit that bill. Hence the expectation of perfection.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:07 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I love this about European film! But Europe has royalty who tend to fit the gorgeous, thin/fit niche, the young members, anyway. The US has no royalty, so Hollywood stars fit that bill. Hence the expectation of perfection.
Clongirl is right about European TV and films. In the UK for example, we tend to use more ordinary looking or even unattractive actors and actresses in our television & films. To me, it makes the story they're trying to tell more believable as the characters are more likely to be people you identity with.

I'll give you an example: the show 'Shameless'. The British version (original version) is disgustingly gritty, grimy and the characters genuinely look like they belong on a council estate in Manchester. Now take the US version: most of the cast look far too beautiful, except for the main character.

Not all European countries have monarchies. France and Germany don't.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:27 AM

218 posts, read 506,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
To me, it makes the story they're trying to tell more believable as the characters are more likely to be people you identity with.
On the other hand, if you don't find the person the main character is likes attractive, you are bound to enjoy the movie far less than you would've otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World