Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2019, 02:53 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,215,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
There's also Tanzania vs. Tasmania, of quite different etymologies as well.
And Iceland and Ireland. But did you notice the interesting fact that South and East are contrasting compass directions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 11:32 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
But did you notice the interesting fact that South and East are contrasting compass directions?
I don't get what you mean by that.

Old 12-16-2019, 12:53 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,374,639 times
I guess he is emphasizing that both Austria and Australia come from words expressing a compass point, but not the same one, increasing the ‘oddity’ associated to their names being that similar. They are not just two random false friends.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:36 PM
tij

453 posts, read 338,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
I guess he is emphasizing that both Austria and Australia come from words expressing a compass point, but not the same one, increasing the ‘oddity’ associated to their names being that similar. They are not just two random false friends.
The word 'Australia' originates from the Latin "terra australis" meaning the "southern land" while 'Austria' stems from the German "Österreich," meaning the "Eastern kingdom." Both the first portion of both the German and that of the Latin term originate from the same Proto-Indo-European root *h₂ews-, the "dawn," so the confusing similarity is not a mere coincidence/false friend here, but an indication of the distant common origin shared by both Latin and German.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:09 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,215,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tij View Post
The word 'Australia' originates from the Latin "terra australis" meaning the "southern land" while 'Austria' stems from the German "Österreich," meaning the "Eastern kingdom." Both the first portion of both the German and that of the Latin term originate from the same Proto-Indo-European root *h₂ews-, the "dawn," so the confusing similarity is not a mere coincidence/false friend here, but an indication of the distant common origin shared by both Latin and German.
But it was the intent of the people who named them to express their eastern-ness or their southern-ness.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:17 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 13 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,927,422 times
Wow! I am not even aware that Constanta Dobrogea to Bucharest Wallachia is really not that far away until one year ago with high speed train! The fastest train only 1 hour 50 to 1 hour 57 minutes, technically! Almost in the blink of an eye and absolutely everyone is smiling when they find out after experience that you could live Bucharest right from the major sea side town of Romania if going with the train routes correctly. Right to the country's only megalopolis major city above one million people. I went to Bucharest from Tuzla/Constanta roughly once every 14 days. Only 60 Leu Ron/$12 to $14 USD from beginning to final. And the cheapest tickets are even reaching just $7 USD/30 Leu Ron. I went to Bucharest at least on 8 major occasions during July to December 2019. Even without hotel room accommodation back to the rural village house the next day. Even going to the beach before and after.

I thought I would only get this in Asia.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:25 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,374,639 times
5 out of the 9 largest countries by surface area have borders with a larger country. I guess it’s a surprisingly large amount. Besides, the largest one, Russia, obviously can’t qualify. So let’s see:

- China has borders with Russia.
- The USA has borders with Canada.
- India has borders with China.
- Argentina has borders with Brazil.
- Kazakhstan has borders with both Russia and China.

Not only is Kazakhstan the largest landlocked country in the world, but it’s also the largest country that has borders with two larger countries.

Then we have Mongolia, the largest country that only has borders with larger countries.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:44 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,029,635 times
If the entire world population moved to the United States, it would still have a lower population density than Bangladesh.

(about 72% of it)

Old 06-24-2020, 12:49 AM

1,002 posts, read 909,412 times
What surprised me was North Borneo ( Serawak + Sabah ) , which was in Indonesia but belonged to Malaysia . and after I learned its history is a gift from the Dutch for the British ... so in the end North Borneo belongs to Malaysia/ Brunei

Old 06-27-2020, 11:32 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,610,361 times
If you went straight south from Detroit, you would pass to the east of Atlanta, and then miss South America completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World