Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 08:10 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

OK, after reading about that, I'm NOT taking back my redneck-comment.
Well to nitpick, I think redneck as more of a rural southern white thing, rodeo is more western or southwestern. Calgary has another big rodeo in its city center. It has a Muslim mayor.

Everything’s bigger in Texas, even the rodeo | Calgary Herald

Old 02-19-2015, 08:26 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
LMAO if you think Houston or the rodeo is primarily 'redneck.' I understand you would expect the rodeo to meet that criteria, but if you have never been to the Houston rodeo... If you get your impressions of Texas from watching spaghetti westerns or 'Walker Texas Ranger,' then you really don't understand much about the 14th largest economy in the world.

Houston region is now the most diverse in the U.S. - Houston Chronicle
Rodeo isn't?

Yes, as I said the only thing I know about Houston is what I've read here and from wikipedia. And I dare to say I'm better educated on the world than the average European. I know things about NYC, Boston, Seattle, Chicago, San Francisco and Miami, but Houston... no. To my embarrassment I only learned from this thread that it is a coastal city.

Texas has at least in Europe pretty much a rednecky stereotype, it is THE redneck state. GW Bush, death penalty, love guns and god, cowboy hats, KKK and so forth. Of course I know it isn't true for everyone. And neither do I want to personally insult anyone, I know my posting style is a bit frisky at times.

I don't like Elvis but I like the food! Something positive to say at least.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:09 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times
What does Elvis have to do with Texas

Old 02-19-2015, 09:19 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
You're quite right!

I know nothing about Houston, and I don't think I know anybody who has been there.

Houston is probably a good city to live in and the QOL is probably good, but as an international tourist location - definitely not.

But those who know the city: what is there? What's the reason to travel to Houston? The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo?

The event is 20 days long. It is kicked off by the Downtown Rodeo Roundup held near Houston City Hall, the Downtown Rodeo parade, and the ConocoPhillips Rodeo Run - a 10k and 5k walk & run and the World's Championship Bar-B-Que Contest.[6] The show features championship rodeo action, livestock competitions, concerts, a carnival, pig racing, barbecue and the Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition, shopping, sales and livestock auctions. Traditional trail rides, which start in different areas of Texas and end in Houston, precede the Rodeo events.[7] The City of Houston celebrates this event with Go Texan Day, where residents are encouraged to dress in western wear the Friday before the rodeo begins

OK, after reading about that, I'm NOT taking back my redneck-comment.
Oh come on Ariete. You know this sounds like fun! Man, I need to go get some boots. Can't wait to go to the next one. I'm sold on Houston YEEHAW!

Old 02-19-2015, 09:34 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I think that says more about the Houston brand than anything else. As a brand, Houston has not done a very good job of promoting itself as an international city. As someone from another country, when I think of Houston I think of cowboy hats, oil and sprawl. It needs to do a better job of making other things come to my mind, because that kind of branding makes it seem like a regional centre and not much more (and I know it is more).
Quote:
Originally Posted by x8q1 View Post
No. Not even to Americans really. Houston is just the most populated city in Texas... Texas being one of the most populated states in the U.S. too. Maybe in the future it will change and Houston will be on the same level as Chicago or L.A., but I don't see it happening very soon.
LOL, I really like Houston, but I think this thread will be a real eye opener to the army of Houston homers who boost Houston none stop on City-Data anytime it's mentioned, and who try to act like Houston is in the same league as NY, Chicago, and LA in every category.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:41 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
What does Elvis have to do with Texas
I thought he lived in Texas at some point. Sorry, not an Elvis expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Oh come on Ariete. You know this sounds like fun! Man, I need to go get some boots. Can't wait to go to the next one. I'm sold on Houston YEEHAW!
Yeah, cowboy hats on and let's watch some pig racing!

Old 02-19-2015, 11:21 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Texas has at least in Europe pretty much a rednecky stereotype, it is THE redneck state. GW Bush, death penalty, love guns and god, cowboy hats, KKK and so forth. Of course I know it isn't true for everyone. And neither do I want to personally insult anyone, I know my posting style is a bit frisky at times.
This is largely the stereotype it has within the US as well. Of course a state as big as Texas isn't all one thing but that stereotype is there nonetheless. There are redeos in California too but not right in our biggest cities. They are farther out in the suburbs.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:35 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
I have never been to Houston and it's not on my list of places to visit. I know one person who has gone for family visits, and they don't rave about the place.

Is it international to non-Americans? No. Regardless of the reality of the diversity, it has the reputation of being uber car centric, and bland.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:41 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Rodeo isn't?

Yes, as I said the only thing I know about Houston is what I've read here and from wikipedia. And I dare to say I'm better educated on the world than the average European. I know things about NYC, Boston, Seattle, Chicago, San Francisco and Miami, but Houston... no. To my embarrassment I only learned from this thread that it is a coastal city.

I don't like Elvis but I like the food! Something positive to say at least.

Putin really needs to invade about Finland asap.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
I wouldn't surpriesed if lots of Americans don't know that Houston is a coastal city. It appears near the coast on the map. This thread is silly, Houston isn't that well known in lot of its own country, why should we expect people from another country to see anything meaningful about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World