Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:50 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,713,503 times

Advertisements

My husband and I would love to retire early (we're 50-ish) and that would require finding a place that was very inexpensive. Good health care, interesting culture, a place with good housing near restaurants and shops, safe, near an airport, etc. Anyone have any brilliant ideas? We're open to anything, but like warm weather over colder. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 12:08 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,389 times
Shangri-La or Xanadu would fit the bill. Seriously, I think you will have to compromise on those requirements. Also, most governments will not allow foreign retirees residence unless they are millionaires - there are only a very few exceptions to this. Belize comes to mind but I'm not sure how safe it is. The CIA factbook is a good source of information. https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/bh.html

Old 03-09-2010, 12:45 PM

72 posts, read 175,982 times
I believe your best options are all in central america. I am not expert on this subject but I believe that Panama city or San Jose are two good options for americans to retire in. They are low cost, but high enough standard of living not to be crime rampant, in fact 1 of the 2 was rated the best city to retire but I forget which one. The cost of living is low enough that your income if invested wisely will never actually decrease, just stay constant, food and housing is dirt cheap, great weather but a language barrier-spanish.

Otherwise Jamaica is a fabulous option, I have a brother who works there 50% of the year. But you have to be careful to select a neighbourhood (like in ths usa ) because there are areas with lots of crime, go for the north shore but is getting expensive in some places. The cost of living is low, immigration for an american is a breeze or a joke, probably the easiest country for an american to immigrate to. The cost of living is low enough that you can have a great life and because it is small you don't have to travel too much, but it is not so small that you see the same people all the time.

Generally speaking fi you go abroad to retire go to a place with lots of tourism industry. I been around the world and the tourism industry in most of africa is not too developed so I would not recommend there. East europe particularly montenegro is a nice place I thought
If your looking to retire in america, then just go for a low cost southern place, small towny.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:56 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,474,247 times
You could check out the online newsletter InternationalLiving.com - some of their suggestions include Belize, Panama and Ecuador

Old 03-09-2010, 01:32 PM

@ Bob, lol...yeah, I realize we have to compromise - just figured Id put our wishlist out there. thanks for the link - Ive bookmarked it.

@Nat, Jamaica is an interesting suggestion. Hadnt thought of that. I'll take a closer look. I like the montenegro thought as well.

@chilaili, I didnt know their newsletter had moved online. I will definitely take a look at it.

Everyone else, please keep the ideas coming.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:46 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,628,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natthebattherat View Post

Otherwise Jamaica is a fabulous option, I have a brother who works there 50% of the year. But you have to be careful to select a neighbourhood (like in ths usa ) because there are areas with lots of crime, go for the north shore but is getting expensive in some places. The cost of living is low, immigration for an american is a breeze or a joke, probably the easiest country for an american to immigrate to. The cost of living is low enough that you can have a great life and because it is small you don't have to travel too much, but it is not so small that you see the same people all the time.
Well that's good to hear about as i was in Ocho Rios and it's beautiful tropical beaches during the 1980's when i was in the navy as i thought that it had gotten expensive (discovered) to live at as i'll research Jamaica too. I always cracked up as people were always coming up to us saying ''hey man i'm the best man on the island for ganja man'' .

Old 03-09-2010, 03:13 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times
Not that I have ever gone there with intentions of staying, but.....The city of Veracruz, in the state of the same name in Mexico has always been a very inexpensive place to stay. It is a tourist destination, but...the majority of the tourists are from Mexico, C or S America, not a lot of gringos. If you are comfortable with Spanish, or, even think you could become comfortable with Spanish, it is a wonderful, warm, easygoing atmosphere, friendly people and excellent food. If you are college educated Veracruz also has a good University and educated gringos could probably be useful, not necessarily for pay, but would be a good way to make and meet new friends. It is to Mexico what New Orleans is to the U.S. If you even attempt to speak the language, they will appreciate the effort.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Not that I have ever gone there with intentions of staying, but.....The city of Veracruz, in the state of the same name in Mexico has always been a very inexpensive place to stay. It is a tourist destination, but...the majority of the tourists are from Mexico, C or S America, not a lot of gringos. If you are comfortable with Spanish, or, even think you could become comfortable with Spanish, it is a wonderful, warm, easygoing atmosphere, friendly people and excellent food. If you are college educated Veracruz also has a good University and educated gringos could probably be useful, not necessarily for pay, but would be a good way to make and meet new friends. It is to Mexico what New Orleans is to the U.S. If you even attempt to speak the language, they will appreciate the effort.
Actually, I like Mexico a lot. For many years my family had a house in San Miguel de Allende and I was heart broken when it was sold. The town is now way too expensive to consider. I have never been to Veracruz, but it is certainly a place I will put on my radar.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:54 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,332,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
My husband and I would love to retire early (we're 50-ish) and that would require finding a place that was very inexpensive. Good health care, interesting culture, a place with good housing near restaurants and shops, safe, near an airport, etc. Anyone have any brilliant ideas? We're open to anything, but like warm weather over colder. Thank you!
Most of the posters have said Latin America, but I can also recommend parts of SE Asia. I have lived in Malaysia for 14 years and find that this would fit the requirements of many retiree-wanna-bes. Tropical climate, relatively cheap housing, good and cheap medical care, excellent and cheap food. The government has a Malaysia My Second Home retirement program, which allows one to work up to 20 hours per week in a part-time capacity.

The culture is polite, meaning people will leave you alone and not bother, but one must be fairly non-political and NOT comment on the local scene. There are also some religious restrictions placed on the local Muslims, but if you are not of that religion, you don't need to worry.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:02 PM

332 posts, read 644,473 times
Rio De Janeiro, if you do not mind living in a warzone where it is common to see even someone as young as 15 with an AK-47 having a shoot out with the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World