Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 08:06 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,154,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Houston is not that diverse!

Having thousands of Mexicans doesnt make it diverse!!! it's like Canadians when they tell you Vancouver is super diverse and then you visit and you realize the diversity they're talking about translates to having tons and tons of Chinese folks!!!

Diversity: Miami... you go out in miami and you come across several individuals of different latin american nationalities, diverse number of europeans from different countries, folks from different countries in the caribbean, large number of japanese, chinese, koreans, also africans, people from different parts of america and so on. THAT IS DIVERSE
I lived in Houston, Houston is diverse. They have well established asian communities (Vietnamese, Chinese, and Korean mostly), a thriving latino population (mostly Mexican as you said but plenty of latinos from elsewhere in central america, and some from the caribbean), a black population (mostly american blacks, some Nigerians and others), and a white population (mostly American, some Euros getting more and more).

Old 02-11-2015, 08:42 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
I'm actually sure as many people know about Stoke, especially because of football team Stoke City, as football is by far the most popular sport in the world and the Premier League, which is the league where Stoke City plays, is the most followed league in the sport.

PS= To all americans, with the word Football i mean soccer
This is probably true, there are a lot of English towns known because they have or have had Premier League teams, the likes of Leicester, Norwich, Southampton etc, I doubt that many people know anything more than the football about these places though!

Old 02-11-2015, 11:32 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
I'm going to try to answer this from a foreigner's perspective. Houston in my eyes is:

• "Houston, we have a problem." -- the very impression of Houston when I was a child watching TV shows on astronauts. I didn't know back then exactly where that city is located within the States.

• Then when Singapore Airlines starting flying to Houston, I checked it out on a map. Oh, okay...

• Then I wondered why SQ would fly there at all, given that most Singaporeans probably don't know of its existence and that as a holiday destination, it's definitely off the radar.

• Sadly, that's all I know of Houston up till today
Well, according to some on here, you as a non American know it well because they said you do.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
OK further to my earlier post, Houston is definitely international if we're just talking about ethnic diversity (although not in the way London or NYC is) but if we're talking about how it's perceived abroad, or its cultural projection then you'll find most people only think about the space centre and the oil. Can the average person outside the US name a famous building, sports venue or art gallery in Houston? A famous person apart from Beyonce? At a stretch maybe, but it's very limited in that respect, especially against the more obvious choices of NYC and LA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
That is about it for me as well, and the direct flights from Australia to Texas don't even land in Huston, they land in Dallas.

Those working in Australia's oil and gas industry would know more about the city.
Nope, you guys are wrong. You've been told that you know it better so start acting like it.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
The fact that people OUTSIDE THE USA think Houston isn't international answers the question! END OFF.
Exactly what I said earlier.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Having thousands of Mexicans doesnt make it diverse!!! it's like Canadians when they tell you Vancouver is super diverse and then you visit and you realize the diversity they're talking about translates to having tons and tons of Chinese folks!!!

Diversity: Miami... you go out in miami and you come across several individuals of different latin american nationalities, diverse number of europeans from different countries, folks from different countries in the caribbean, large number of japanese, chinese, koreans, also africans, people from different parts of america and so on. THAT IS DIVERSE
Quote:
I agree with you here!
Yep, agree once again. Now I don't know Miami but Oakland is this way. Just about every east and southeast Asian ethnicity is represented there. There are people of Mexican, various Central American and a few of Puerto Rican decent. There are Black Americans and Ethiopian and Nigerians. Even among whites there are those who's first language is not English. In fact I think there are like 200 languages known to be spoken in that city. Oakland has no racial or ethnic majority. It has a largest racial group who are whites but at around 30 percent, that's not a majority. Most groups are represented pretty evenly. That too is diverse. Not only are some confusing the terms international and diverse but it also appears that some don't know what truly diverse is.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:43 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
The fact that people OUTSIDE THE USA think Houston isn't international answers the question! END OFF.
What? plenty of people outside the USA consider the city international.

go talk to some of the hundreds of thousands of immigrants that live there living alongside people from other parts of the world. people who have actually been there are actually really surprised of how diverse it really is, people from all over the USA and all over the world move there.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:49 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,956,299 times
To me Houston isn't a very international city at all. It's classified as a Beta+ city on Global City Index, along with Copenhagen, Lisbon, Rome and Cape Town. Although I find all the others more international than Houston.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:50 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:

You think its only Mexicans that make Houston diverse?

Yeah just ignore the number of Central Americans, Vietnamese, Chinese, Indians, Filipinos, Koreans, Iranians, Africans and African Americans.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:56 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,758 times
As a Colombian it is difficult to find a Colombian community in most of the US except for NYC and Miami.... I spent time in California and never met a single Colombian, the only Colombians I met were tourists heading over to Disney and universal studios

They have a Colombian consulate in LA but they were thinking on closing it because its a bit pointless but they decided to keep it as it serves as the only Colombian consulate west of the Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World