Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 12:26 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,285 times

Advertisements

let's put the matter to rest

top ten most visited American cities by foreigners.

10. Boston
9. Chicago
8. Washington DC
7. Honolulu
6. Las Vegas
5. San Francisco
4. Orlando (must be disney and the amusement parks)
3. Los Angeles
2. Miami
1. New york city

Houston occupies spot #12
20 Most Popular U.S. Cities Among International Travelers in 2013 – Skift

so while it's definitively known, it is obvious is not the first city one thinks of when one thinks US cities.

I personally don't even think about boston, orlando, chicago, honolulu, DC (quoting the list above)

When I hear american city NYC is the icon that comes to mind.... then Miami, and then LA because of hollywood

Old 02-11-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey, guess what - there's a major Colombian consulate in Houston. Not only that, there are about 50,000 Colombians living in the Houston metro area, and at least 25 Colombian restaurants, and, every year, sometime around July 20, there is a huge Colombian festival held downtown, with thousands of people in attendance.

Houston and Beyond / Travel: Colombia
that is nice!!!

Old 02-11-2015, 12:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
that is nice!!!
I agree - and didn't even know there was that big a presence of Colombians in Houston. I definitely need to try out some of that food.

Houston is a foodie's little slice of heaven by the way - TONS of ethnic restaurants. It has some of the best Vietnamese restaurants I've ever tried.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree - and didn't even know there was that big a presence of Colombians in Houston. I definitely need to try out some of that food.

Houston is a foodie's little slice of heaven by the way - TONS of ethnic restaurants. It has some of the best Vietnamese restaurants I've ever tried.
If you ever go to a Colombian restaurant try "Bandeja paisa" and then the immensity of natural juices Colombians have (we have a lot of exotic fruits in colombia because of the jungle)

beware if you eat bandeja paisa, be very hungry beforehand... its a lot of food!

Old 02-11-2015, 12:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
If you ever go to a Colombian restaurant try "Bandeja paisa" and then the immensity of natural juices Colombians have (we have a lot of exotic fruits in colombia because of the jungle)

beware if you eat bandeja paisa, be very hungry beforehand... its a lot of food!
LOL thanks for the heads' up!

Old 02-11-2015, 12:47 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
The fact that people OUTSIDE THE USA think Houston isn't international answers the question! END OFF.
Ah, but it is.

I haven't trawled the thread but for starters Houston is the the major oil and gas HQ.

When I lived there I was told that there were 40,000 Russians in residence in the city, for example. We knew oil and gas workers from pretty much anywhere where that commodity is found.

There is a British School (with a large Dutch section) and a British consulate there to give other examples. Many other countries have a consular presence.

The Awty International School which we visited has pupils from over sixty countries.

I used to get lamb, sometimes difficult to find, from a Lebanese butcher and then head next door to the Brazilian café.

We had a Vietnamese restaurant near us, Korean friends, there's a very big influx of people from India around Sugarland.

It has the world's largest medical centre which brings in people from all over.

To summarise, it is no vacation destination of any great note but is definitely international.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:07 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Well Gentoo it seems being diverse = International I guess most large towns and cities in England are international.
Yeah, who knew there were so many international cities.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
you should date a Colombian girl.... we like to spoil our men, love being traditional and lady like, learn to cook, to be motherly to our children, our homes have to be spotless!!!

you marry a colombian girl and you'll the kind of man who comes home to a spotless house, smelling like warm food ready for you to eat and your kids clean and safe watching TV

al bundy was right when he married Gloria in modern family

lol

jk
Haha. Honestly, if she hadn't been married I would have hit on her for sure.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
African Americans don't really count. America is their home to as much as it is of those Americans with European ancestry.
^^^Thank you. That's much appreciated.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
I think those who live in Houston or have visited can vouch for the ethnic diversity of the city, but when you direct the question to non-US residents about how international Houston is in terms of cultural projection it's limited compared to the likes of LA or NYC. As I mentioned most people are only aware of the space centre and oil industries. There is very little in the way of landmarks, famous buildings, galleries, bands and singers (except Beyonce and Destiny's Child!), movies set there etc
And yet, no matter how many times you tell them this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.