Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 05:47 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
And that's how a real democracy works. There's nothing democratic about pushing through a radical reform that only 13% of the population support.
^
This.

Any American who believes that citizens of European countries that CHOSE to retain their constitutional monarchies should take note and stop calling us undemocratic. If we want to retain our monarchs because of bloodline, history and a desire to have our head of state to not be a politician, it doesn't make us any less free or any less democratic.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:56 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
This is the point that people have been trying to make. There is little support for a republic here, people here have become disillusioned with most institutions, politicians are not trusted, yet the monarchy is the one thing that has remained popular - they are the only people who have not totally screwed us over at some point.

Politician as a head of state? Hah, that will prove hugely popular, as popular as Bob Diamond becoming Prime Minster.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:18 PM

557 posts, read 673,459 times
Quote:
The Constitutional reforms of 1848.
Please provide a link.

Quote:
As far as I know, there is no stated mechanism yet because there is no need for it. However, the Constition is not considered 'sacred' here like it is in the US so if public opinion radically shifted and was in favour of abolishing the monarchy, this could be arranged by a Constitutional reform. The monarch has no actual control over the military or the government so if there was a popular revolution, the monarch could do nothing to defend his/her position. The monarch never interferes with the political process, his/her role is entirely ceremonial.
If there's no stated mechanism to remove the monarchy, then it's not possible under the law, therefore is illegal.

Quote:
The government cannot "teach" its citizens anything. We have freedom of speech and freedom of the press here, people can criticize the government and the monarchy however they want. My country actually was a republic before it became a monarchy as I told you before. I studied politics in University and I'm fully aware of other political systems, I'm not indoctrinated to believe as I do. I have rational reasons to support an unelected ceremonial head of state, provided he/she enjoys wide popular support. Judging by your posts, you clearly don't understand how parliamentary constitutional monarchies work.

Yes, if the US had to do it again it would still be a democratic republic because that is the best system for your country, but not all countries are like the US. Get it through your head.
So you're telling me, if you had to do it again from scratch, you'd want an unelected head of state, who holds office for an infinite term, receives tax payers money, and legally has veto power?

Quote:
The head of state is a monarch, the government is democratically elected. Since the head of state does not interfere in the political process, the parliamentary constitutional monarchies are democratic and universally recognised as such. You don't understand the distinction between head of state and government because the American model doesn't work this way. The role of President Obama is more similar to Angela Merkel (the head of government) than to the President of Germany (the head of state). The role of the President of Germany is very similar to that of the Queen of the Netherlands (i.e., largely ceremonial).
Your monarchy is head of state by law, has veto power by law, and receives free tax money by law. As long as that's the case, the government is not a true democracy.

Quote:
Do you think it's democratic to abolish the monarchy when a vast majority of the population supports the monarchy over a republic?
Yes, sometimes the majority gets it wrong. All monarchies should be abolished no matter what. I will never defend the monarchy/dictatorship institution and neither should you.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:20 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
As long as that's the case, the government is not a true democracy.
Everyone else disagrees with you, including people who are more knowledgeable on the subject. You are fighting a losing battle, sir. Stick to worrying about what is happening in your own back yard, and we'll continue happily with our 'tyrannical dictatorships'. God bless America, the world's purest (and possibly only) democracy and number one nation.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Please provide a link.

If there's no stated mechanism to remove the monarchy, then it's not possible under the law, therefore is illegal.

So you're telling me, if you had to do it again from scratch, you'd want an unelected head of state, who holds office for an infinite term, receives tax payers money, and legally has veto power?

Your monarchy is head of state by law, has veto power by law, and receives free tax money by law. As long as that's the case, the government is not a true democracy.

Yes, sometimes the majority gets it wrong. All monarchies should be abolished no matter what. I will never defend the monarchy/dictatorship institution and neither should you.
*sigh*

That's all I can do at your ignorance. You have no respect or understanding for how other countries CHOOSE to do things. You are applying American logic to foreign countries that you quite clearly have zero understanding of or respect for.

This thread is "Why do do many people hate America". We (the rest of the world) don't hate you, but your posts in this thread are shining examples of why Americans get a bad rep. Pure ignorance.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Tyranny? Your ignorance of European politics is hilarious. You've been successfully brainwashed.
Look up the definition of Monarchy and Tyranny.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Look up the definition of Monarchy and Tyranny.
Look up the definition of "common sense". Judging by your posts, it's something you lack knobby. Get out and travel more, that's my advice.

Your posts have at least made me less republican than I was 48 hours ago.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
His ignorance and lack of knowledge on the subject is astounding, but many here spout the same nonsensical rhetoric because they "know all".

As others have stated knobby, CONSTITUTIONAL monarchies in Europe have popular support. If 75% of British citizens want to keep the monarchy, how is their presence undemocratic? If the opposite were true, there would be a referendum and the transition to a republic would occur peacefully.

I don't care for the monarchy myself, but having lived in the US for several years, I WOULD NOT want a US -presidential style system in the UK. I would rather keep our existing head of state and our parliamentary system. At the very least, it's a good rubber stamp.

You can also google how EU countries with constitutional monarchies are some of the least corrupt countries in the world. Food for thought.
Aah so you return.

Are you not aware that some things that have popular support are actually wrong? The majority in California voted against gay marriage, was that correct???

Also, did you know that Saudi Arabian leaders consider themselves Monarchy too. North Korea as well.

You keep on defending and finding excuses for monarchies, I'll defend freedom and democracy

Old 01-02-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Aah so you return.

Are you not aware that some things that have popular support are actually wrong? The majority in California voted against gay marriage, was that correct???

Also, did you know that Saudi Arabian leaders consider themselves Monarchy too. North Korea as well.

You keep on defending and finding excuses for monarchies, I'll defend freedom and democracy
So I return, to call you out on your BS.

How is our monarchy "wrong"? You're not even British or European. Your opinion means nothing.

How are we any less "free" than you are? How are our monarchies oppressing us and affecting our daily lives? How are Brits, Danes or Dutch people any less free than you are? We score lower in the corruption rankings!

Old 01-02-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Everyone else disagrees with you, including people who are more knowledgeable on the subject. You are fighting a losing battle, sir. Stick to worrying about what is happening in your own back yard, and we'll continue happily with our 'tyrannical dictatorships'. God bless America, the world's purest (and possibly only) democracy and number one nation.
Don't blame me because the UK is not a democracy. I like the UK, but I will not describe it as something it is not. The UK is correctly described as a Constitutional Monarchy

The UK has some democratic elements, but isn't a democracy because an unelected monarch is head of state for an endless term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World