Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 08:35 PM

122 posts, read 178,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Yes I do, you just did it
We are using it in the sarcastic manner, not to make our country look better.

Quote:
Every country does this, it's part of life, you to learn to deal with it. We Americans are constantly bashed for our missteps, and we deal with it.
Yes, it happens anywhere, but to American extent - only in America. Well, Asia is very nationalistic - but that's a different world.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:12 PM

557 posts, read 673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by object704 View Post
We are using it in the sarcastic manner, not to make our country look better.

Yes, it happens anywhere, but to American extent - only in America. Well, Asia is very nationalistic - but that's a different world.
I don't think it's a coincidence that the sarcasm you all pick includes a great Russian achievement.

I believe reasonable nationalism is natural and healthy

Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 3,842 times
In my experience such has rarely been the case.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,244,554 times
Quote:
You haven't shown me how the the Dutch republic was a democratic republic. How were the government bodies selected? How was the head of stated selected? Where is it's written constitution and bill of rights?

The US framers took influences from many countries including the UK which wasn't and still isn't a democratic republic, this doesn't change the fact that the US was the world's first modern democracy with the world's first written constitution and bill of rights.
It wasn't my point to show you that the Dutch Republic was democratic, just that it was a republic long before the US was (since you said all other countries were monarchies) and that the US Constitution was not a completely novel idea, a lot of it was 'borrowed' from other countries including the Dutch Republic.

By the way, the UK and other European monarchies are not republics because they don't want to be, as hard as that may be for an American to imagine.

Quote:
Obviously I'm talking about democratic republic
It's not obvious to me because many republics around the world are not democratic.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:31 PM

122 posts, read 178,646 times
Quote:
I don't think it's a coincidence that the sarcasm you all pick includes a great Russian achievement.
You are delirious.

Quote:
Your choice, but I can't possibly agree with that - in Russia any amount of it is considered ill and evil. Even patriot is a swear word here.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:37 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,532,191 times
Quote:

LOL "reasonable"

Old 01-01-2013, 09:52 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,244,554 times
Quote:

Nationalism is inherently unreasonable.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
America has problems to resolve like any country but, let's not forget that the US is a progressive country.The US established the world's first modern democracy with the world's first written constitution and bill of rights when all other countries where monarchies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
It wasn't my point to show you that the Dutch Republic was democratic, just that it was a republic long before the US was (since you said all other countries were monarchies) and that the US Constitution was not a completely novel idea, a lot of it was 'borrowed' from other countries including the Dutch Republic.

It's not obvious to me because many republics around the world are not democratic.
If you had read my original statment, you'd realize i was talking about a demorcatic republic.

Again, the video below explains why the US has the world's first written constitution:

The United States Created the World's First Written Constitution and Influenced the World - YouTube

Quote:
By the way, the UK and other European monarchies are not republics because they don't want to be, as hard as that may be for an American to imagine.
It's not like they have a choice. The people of European monarchy countries have never voted for their monarchies to be there, nor will they ever get to. Their monarch stays in power for an endless term, and there's no stated mechanism to remove them. No citizen from a true free democratic country would ever look at a monarchy as a good thing.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
LOL "reasonable"
Nothing in life is black and white.

Appreciating the good qualities and achievements of where you're from or live is natural and healthy as long as you don't go over board.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Nationalism is inherently unreasonable.
This was actually meant for your post

Quote:
Nothing in life is black and white.

Appreciating the good qualities and achievements of where you're from or live is natural and healthy as long as you don't go over board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World