Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 11:13 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times

Advertisements

The last colony established by a European power was in 1930, by Italy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
If something is true and you say it again, does it not remain true?

Tell me what I've said that is untrue?

Is there a specifically stated mechanism as to how these monarchies can be removed?

Do monarchies not receive free tax money?
You are missing the point. They receive tax money. They generate more money than they receive. They are not expensive. The French republic is more expensive to maintain. European countries are not tyrannical.

As mentioned, some European countries have held referendums on their monarchies, or what power they can hold. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18649156

Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 AM

557 posts, read 673,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
There are monarchies in Europa that have been approved by its citizens via referendums.

Maybe it's hard to believe for you, but not everybody in the world wants to have the American model.

I don't think that American two-party system is a really democratic model.
You can not be a true democracy when you have a head of state that has a limitless term and cannot be removed.

America doesn't have a two-party system. You can vote for any party or person you want.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
The last colony established by a European power was in 1930, by Italy.

You are missing the point. They receive tax money. They generate more money than they receive. They are not expensive. The French republic is more expensive to maintain. European countries are not tyrannical.

As mentioned, some European countries have held referendums on their monarchies, or what power they can hold. BBC News - Liechtenstein referendum rejects curbs on royal powers
I read that Lego Land brings in more money than the British Monarchy via toursim, so should the Lego Land CEO be head of the UK for an unlimited term?

Some as in how many, one? It doesn't change the fact that you cannot be a true democracy and monarchy at the same time they're opposites

Old 01-02-2013, 11:25 AM

It is more than tourism. The Crown Estate (all the royal assets) generates over £200M per annum. The Monarchy costs around £40M to maintain. They generate a massive surplus, which goes directly to the Commons, where that money will be spend in the best interests of the public. It is a self-funding entity.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It is more than tourism. The Crown Estate (all the royal assets) generates over £200M per annum.
By that logic Apple in the US should become America's emperor because they generated lots of money. Do you know how democracy works?

Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 AM

I suppose it's not possible to have a levelheaded debate with you. If the people of the US want Apple to become a monarchy, then by all means, go ahead.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:35 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
...People in other countries complain as much, if not more, about their government and country as Americans do.
ahhh....HA!

Old 01-02-2013, 11:42 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,045 times
Quote:
You never had a choice, point to the vote in history your countrymen gave to grant the Monarchy power for an endless term
The Constitutional reforms of 1848.

Quote:
Because the monarchy's term of power never ends, by what stated mechanism can the monarchy (specifically) be removed? If it's not stated in law, then it doesn't exist. In the US Constitution, it is stated that our President holds office for a limited 4 year term, and can be impeached by Congress at anytime.
As far as I know, there is no stated mechanism yet because there is no need for it. However, the Constition is not considered 'sacred' here like it is in the US so if public opinion radically shifted and was in favour of abolishing the monarchy, this could be arranged by a Constitutional reform. The monarch has no actual control over the military or the government so if there was a popular revolution, the monarch could do nothing to defend his/her position. The monarch never interferes with the political process, his/her role is entirely ceremonial.

Quote:
You all believe it works for you because you were taught that your whole lives, which government is going to teach it's citizens that the government is wrong? If you're country had to do it again, the people would never support a monarchy in any form, and would become a democratic republic. If the US had to do it again, we'd become a democratic republic, as we are today.
The government cannot "teach" its citizens anything. We have freedom of speech and freedom of the press here, people can criticize the government and the monarchy however they want. My country actually was a republic before it became a monarchy as I told you before. I studied politics in University and I'm fully aware of other political systems, I'm not indoctrinated to believe as I do. I have rational reasons to support an unelected ceremonial head of state, provided he/she enjoys wide popular support. Judging by your posts, you clearly don't understand how parliamentary constitutional monarchies work.

Yes, if the US had to do it again it would still be a democratic republic because that is the best system for your country, but not all countries are like the US. Get it through your head.

Quote:
Unlike the American model, the constitutional monarchy model has an undemocratic contradiction. You can not be a true democracy when your government is described as a "monarchy."
The head of state is a monarch, the government is democratically elected. Since the head of state does not interfere in the political process, the parliamentary constitutional monarchies are democratic and universally recognised as such. You don't understand the distinction between head of state and government because the American model doesn't work this way. The role of President Obama is more similar to Angela Merkel (the head of government) than to the President of Germany (the head of state). The role of the President of Germany is very similar to that of the Queen of the Netherlands (i.e., largely ceremonial).

Do you think it's democratic to abolish the monarchy when a vast majority of the population supports the monarchy over a republic?

Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That's all good and fine. But why are these monarchs so extremely wealthy if they are just figureheads? I don't understand why the vast majority of the citizens of a country would want an tiny, elite class of people to have so much money just because of hereditary privilege. Wouldn't you want to spread that wealth around some more?
In my country, only the Queen and the Crown Prince receive a royal allowance. They're not obscenely wealthy and they perform important ceremonial functions.

It's kind of ironic to hear an American complaining about an elite class having so much money because of hereditary privilege, as if the exact same doesn't happen in the US to a much greater extent At least the royal family serves a public interest.

Last edited by LindavG; 01-02-2013 at 12:13 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Dormant or nice tyranny, doesn't change the fact that it's tyranny.
A monarchy in any form is the opposite of a democracy.

And, monarchies do have power, which is why they receive free tax money and there is not a specifically stated mechanism as to how they can be removed.
Tyranny? Your ignorance of European politics is hilarious. You've been successfully brainwashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World