Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 07:06 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
What you've pointed out has no merit because you've not shown what makes Corsican a democracy or republic. Because even China claims to be a republic. Nor have you shown me the Corsican written constitution with a bill of rights.
You are splitting hairs. Here's what you previously stated:

"with the world's first written constitution"

This is factually incorrect. The bill of rights is a separate issue. You were claiming that the US Constitution was the world's first written constitution. It wasn't.

EDIT: it's like saying "we invented the first computer and internet". Catch my drift?

Last edited by Hombre; 01-01-2013 at 07:26 PM..

Old 01-01-2013, 07:07 PM

122 posts, read 178,662 times
Quote:
What you've pointed out has no merit because you've not shown what makes Corsican a democracy or republic. Because even China claims to be a republic.
USA is not a democracy. It claims that what it has = democracy. Just like China claims to be democratic.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:07 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,045 times
Quote:
So are you saying that Norway, Sweden, Switzerland don't have capitalism, consumerism and competition?

What has Norway, Sweden, Switzerland done that is greater than what the US has done? And if not the US, which out of these 3 is currently the most successful country in the world?

America has problems to resolve like any country but, let's not forget that the US is a progressive country.The US established the world's first modern democracy with the world's first written constitution and bill of rights when all other countries where monarchies.
This is off-topic but the Netherlands was a republic a few centuries before the US was (from 1581 to 1795) and its Constitution and Declaration of Independence likely influenced those of the US. It had (relative) religious freedom which caused refugees from all over Europe to flee to the Republic and it was the first capitalist country in the world. See: Dutch Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politic...1%E2%80%931795 for more information. Here's an excerpt from the second link:

Quote:
The framers of the U.S. Constitution were influenced by the Constitution of the Republic of the United Provinces. They took from the Dutch Republic the idea of a "sovereign union of sovereign states". They also took from the Dutch example the need for political and administrative power to be exercised and interlocked at different levels: local, regional and national. The other great example taken from the Dutch was the ability to compromise in order to achieve a goal for the common good. However, the Dutch Republic, as cited in the Federalist papers by Hamilton, provided an example to be avoided of not allowing the (Con)Federal national government sufficient power to carry out its duties, collect its revenue, and come to decisions in a timely manner as set down in law.[14]
In addition, the Act of Abjuration, essentially the declaration of independence of the United Provinces, is strikingly similar to the later American Declaration of Independence,[15] though concrete evidence that the former directly influenced the latter is absent.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:20 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,045 times
Quote:
What you've pointed out has no merit because you've not shown what makes Corsican a democracy or republic. Because even China claims to be a republic. Nor have you shown me the Corsican written constitution with a bill of rights.
China is a republic because its head of state is not a monarch. That's all it takes to be a republic

Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 PM

557 posts, read 673,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
You are splitting hairs. Here's what you previously stated:

"with the world's first written constitution"

This is factually incorrect. The bill of rights is a separate issue. You were claiming that the US Constitution was the world's first written constitution. It wasn't.

EDIT: it's like saying "we invented the first computer and internet". Catch my drift?
So it's splitting hairs because you have no sources to back your claims?

You are ignoring the fact that in my original comment I stated that the US is the world's first modern democracy with the world's first written constitution and bill of rights.

Again, the video below explains why the US pioneered the world's first written constitution

Quote:
You are incorrect. Here's a video that explains it better and explains why the US has the world's first written constitution with the world's first bill of rights.

The United States Created the World's First Written Constitution and Influenced the World - YouTube

Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by object704 View Post
USA is not a democracy. It claims that what it has = democracy. Just like China claims to be democratic.
Now you're just getting silly

Old 01-01-2013, 07:47 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,467 times
Quote:
So it's splitting hairs because you have no sources to back your claims?

You are ignoring the fact that in my original comment I stated that the US is the world's first modern democracy with the world's first written constitution and bill of rights.

Again, the video below explains why the US pioneered the world's first written constitution
*yawn* you're boring me already. Go back and read and if necessary re-read what you posted, which implied that the US Constituion was the world's first.

Failing that, seek to obtain a refund from whatever college that taught you history.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
This is off-topic but the Netherlands was a republic a few centuries before the US was (from 1581 to 1795) and its Constitution and Declaration of Independence likely influenced those of the US. It had (relative) religious freedom which caused refugees from all over Europe to flee to the Republic and it was the first capitalist country in the world. See: Dutch Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politic...1%E2%80%931795 for more information. Here's an excerpt from the second link:
You haven't shown me how the the Dutch republic was a democratic republic. How were the government bodies selected? How was the head of stated selected? Where is it's written constitution and bill of rights?

The US framers took influences from many countries including the UK which wasn't and still isn't a democratic republic, this doesn't change the fact that the US was the world's first modern democracy with the world's first written constitution and bill of rights.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:53 PM

122 posts, read 178,662 times
Quote:
Now you're just getting silly
I'm not alone. American Founding fathers considered the system they created non-democratic. They had lively discussions (read the Confederalist), and decided that in such big country democracy won't work - minorities (e.g. the rich) will be oppressed. Just like it later happened in Russia, which tried (but failed) to create democracy.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
China is a republic because its head of state is not a monarch. That's all it takes to be a republic
Obviously I'm talking about democratic republic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World