Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 10:55 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times

Advertisements

USA ranked number 3 in Human Development Index....just coincides with what has always been my "gut feeling"...what are the usual America bashers saying now?

Old 03-16-2013, 11:06 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
USA ranked number 3 in Human Development Index....just coincides with what has always been my "gut feeling"...what are the usual America bashers saying now?
That you deserve it and its true, just don't be super cocky about it or infer that the US beat every country on every one of the individual metrics that it measured.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:48 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
If you ain't first you're last?

Old 03-16-2013, 12:24 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times
Quote:
But ranks 16 in the IDH-D

Old 03-16-2013, 01:39 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
It's just one of many measurements of development, quality of life and standard of living - you can hang your every word on one of them if you want, but there is an array of similar ones on the internet. They all rank the US as a good place to live mind, but none as highly as this one. When you look at individual factors, you're left a bit confused as to how they came to the conclusion that the US is a better place for development or even potential development than places like Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany or Switzerland, and not too dissimilar to Norway, when it fails miserably in everything compared to these equal and prosperous nations, income excluded of course. Gender equality, income equality, life expectancy, crime, education, the US doesn't do very well on any of these very important measurements - yet it's still up there with Norway and Australia, and superior to every other European nation, including the Nordic ones - on what planet, might I add? The one where money is the only important thing? One which is obsessed with GDP per capita, as if it actually reflects a nation's wealth, when it blatantly does not?

Very unusual indeed. No doubt people will accuse me of having sour grapes (not sure why, it's only an internet ranking), but it's a very confusing situation. Nobody in their right mind could ever view the US in the same league as Norway and Sweden in terms of human development or well-being. It's ridiculous. What clowns were hired to carry out this survey?

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 03-16-2013 at 01:49 PM..

Old 03-16-2013, 01:52 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It's just one of many measurements of development, quality of life and standard of living - you can hang your every word on one of them if you want, but there is an array of similar ones on the internet. They all rank the US as a good place to live mind, but none as highly as this one. When you look at individual factors, you're left a bit confused as to how they came to the conclusion that the US is a better place for development or even potential development than places like Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany or Switzerland, and not too dissimilar to Norway, when it fails miserably in everything compared to these equal and prosperous nations, income excluded of course. Gender equality, income equality, life expectancy, crime, education, the US doesn't do very well on any of these very important measurements - yet it's still up there with Norway and Australia, and superior to every other European nation, including the Nordic ones - on what planet, might I add? The one where money is the only important thing? One which is obsessed with GDP per capita, as if it actually reflects a nation's wealth, when it blatantly does not?

Very unusual indeed. No doubt people will accuse me of having sour grapes (not sure why, it's only an internet ranking), but it's a very confusing situation. Nobody in their right mind could ever view the US in the same league as Norway and Sweden in terms of human development or well-being. It's ridiculous. What clowns were hired to carry out this survey?
Did you saw the rank of IDH-D i posted some posts ago ?

Old 03-16-2013, 01:58 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Did you saw the rank of IDH-D i posted some posts ago ?
Just now, that's more like reality IMO, but still surprised the US could rank above Luxembourg, and Slovenia in 10th place. No doubt Slovenia is very equal, ditto Czech Republic, but they're not exactly world-leaders in any other aspect. Perhaps I'll conduct my own survey.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Well, Stephen Harper did say "You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it!"
Seems like the damned Conservative was right.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Are you jealous because your neighbors below you have more interesting lives than you do?
ROTFLMAO!! What does that even MEAN? Care to elaborate? I'm all ears.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
True but we have more people employed, more happy people, more people that live longer, not to mention we have a stronger and larger economy, more diversity, we have the music, movies, we have great health not health care, we have the best highway system in the world, we have the best univeristies, better scientist, better researchers, best military in the world...
You have more happy people? Got any credible sources? Take your time...I'll wait until you stop patting yourself on the back.

The World's Happiest Countries:

1. Norway
2. Denmark
3. Sweden
4. Australia
5. New Zealand
6. Canada
7. Finland
8. The Netherlands
9. Switzerland
10. Ireland

World's happiest countries - Yahoo! Travel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.