Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Racist Developed Countries
Norway 7 1.85%
Australia 55 14.51%
America 116 30.61%
Germany 23 6.07%
Netherlands 7 1.85%
Sweden 10 2.64%
Ireland 12 3.17%
New Zealand 1 0.26%
Switzerland 16 4.22%
Japan 132 34.83%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:09 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Australia should be called "The commonwealth of Bigotland"
What do you base this on? You come across as completely biased. My family are Irish immigrants to Australia and I've found this a very fair country. I've had relatives that have went to the UK and suffered much more racism than ever occurred here. They went to the UK in less enlightened times when the Irish were treated very harshly. This has changed but it is within living memory. Australia is much more transparent because Australians are much more willing to confront things and willing to discuss more unsavoury aspects of the human condition. I just find them a bit more honest.

Have you ever lived any length of time in Australia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Australia - 37
USA - 83

Given the population of these 2 countries, that figure in Australia is pretty high!

Never been to Australia but saw some videos in youtube where an Aussie is shouting at an immigrant while in a bus. That's humiliating.
Yes I've seen that video and it has been very widely discussed in Australia. This is not the norm. People do base their opinions on unusual occurrences like this. This made the news because it is not standard and people were shocked by it. I think in the end people just want to believe what suits them and this is why they will hone in on incidences like this despite how unusual it is.

You can find incidences like this in any western country.

My family came out to Australia on the 10 pound passage. We were not POMS but Irish. We came out with Irish, British, Italians, Yugoslavs etc. In the 70s Australia took in lots of Asian people and more recently African populations. Australia is very multicultural and I don't know how people that have never lived here can form opinions on the type of society that Australia is. I would never judge the US or Germany because I've never lived there but people that have never lived here are quite happy to call Australia racist when that is the least accurate description.

I really think Australia is very successful in integrating all the populations that come here. If you haven't lived here how can you make a fair assessment?

If someone is going to form an opinion from an internet video then I would question their objectivity.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I can't work it out either, this is the exact 2011 census count for my suburb in Brisbane.

Country of Birth
1 Australia 5,488
2 India 367
3 England 277
4 New Zealand 269
5 Philippines 93
6 Korea, Republic 71
102 Botswana 3
103 Aust Ext Territories 3
104 Belgium 3
105 Austria 3
106 Algeria 3
Total 8,356

Australia 5,488 64.29%
Other 3,048 35.71%

Census 2011 Australia | ABS Population Income | SBS Census Explorer

Their is also over 100 spoken languages among those 8356 people, and that is nothing compared to the multi ethnic suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne.

If Australia was as racist as some people make it out to be our cities would be in a constant state of civil war.
People who say Australia is racist don't live in Australia. Most people in Australia consider themselves Australian especially after the first generation. This is the case across all nationalities and races. Anyway it doesn't seem to matter what surveys or polls say people just want to think countries like Australia are racist despite the fact that it is an immigrant country.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:58 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
What do you base this on? You come across as completely biased. My family are Irish immigrants to Australia and I've found this a very fair country. I've had relatives that have went to the UK and suffered much more racism than ever occurred here. They went to the UK in less enlightened times when the Irish were treated very harshly. This has changed but it is within living memory. Australia is much more transparent because Australians are much more willing to confront things and willing to discuss more unsavoury aspects of the human condition. I just find them a bit more honest.

Have you ever lived any length of time in Australia?
I was joking.

But Irish people are White (not of colour) of course if you're a person of colour you will be treated differently in Australia.. Because the place is Anglo dominated.

Many white people have a superiority complexes, they think "ethnics" are inferior and it comes across in abrasive terms and eurocentric ideology.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I was joking.

But Irish people are White (not of colour) of course if you're a person of colour you will be treated differently in Australia.. Because the place is Anglo dominated.

Many white people have a superiority complexes, they think "ethnics" are inferior and it comes across in abrasive terms and eurocentric ideology.
Irish have still had a lot of discrimination and this is documented. I have close friends that are Asian that I've known most of my life and they haven't suffered any more negativity than I have. There are still numerous Irish jokes and I find them derogatory. I don't understand how people can feel superior to other people based on nationality and race. I just look on that sort of thing as being flawed. I honestly think that most people judge people as they find them. If you are a well balanced person who is friendly people will respond to that.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:04 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Irish have still had a lot of discrimination and this is documented. I have close friends that are Asian that I've known most of my life and they haven't suffered any more negativity than I have. There are still numerous Irish jokes and I find them derogatory. I don't understand how people can feel superior to other people based on nationality and race. I just look on that sort of thing as being flawed. I honestly think that most people judge people as they find them. If you are a well balanced person who is friendly people will respond to that.

Again, Irish people are considered white so fuss are not looked down upon in the same way as a Nigerian or a indigenous Australian.

There's a system in society that actively oppresses people of colour an Irish person are not oppressed *anymore*

Oppressed may seem like a strong word but its true especially for Muslims, indigenous people of the Americas, Oceania and dark skinned Africans.

Search - Racial hierarchy...

Old 10-24-2014, 07:36 PM

125 posts, read 163,486 times
Australia is not as tolerant as the proponents say, but it's not like the detractors think it is.

Australia is certainly not worse than Japan. Different countries are at different stages in assimilating immigrants. Australia hasn't been as integrated for as long as a few countries in the Anglosphere.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:42 PM

251 posts, read 396,515 times
Australians are not politically correct like Americans and they have strict border control. America has 11 million illegals immigrants, which is really ridiculous and shows how much of a joke their border control is.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:28 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerz View Post
Australia is not as tolerant as the proponents say, but it's not like the detractors think it is.

Australia is certainly not worse than Japan. Different countries are at different stages in assimilating immigrants. Australia hasn't been as integrated for as long as a few countries in the Anglosphere.
If you mean compared to the US, well yes the US is much older so has a longer history and hence a longer history as a destination for migrants. But on the flip side, in recent times it has also been much less of a migrant nation, with a far lower proportion of its population born elsewhere.

People also look at these issues through their own cultural context and history as well. By way of example, while shows like the Simpsons may be regarded as light humor, I’ve met more than a few people here who find the level of ethnic and racial stereotyping and profiling pretty confronting. Same goes for many of the shows out of the UK that are broadcast here.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:34 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,220 times
France is by far the most racist first world country, but to be honest, whites in france have a lot to complain about. Racism is wrong, but I get why they're fed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World