Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 05:35 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post

As soon as you take care of this the USA will follow you.
No we wont
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 06:01 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Give me a millisecond, and I'll get back to you.
See, we have already gone metric on somethings. Of course, that was the easy one.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:31 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Another thing that people my age haven't changed our lingo on. We still say a " twenty-sixer " when referring to a 750 ml bottle.
Well, we really call a 1.75 liter bottle a "handle".

Old 03-17-2014, 02:54 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
I spent my formative years at a French immersion school, so naturally I grew up in metric.

The most confusing thing about the Imperial system to me is that the same word, "ounce," can be used to refer to volume or weight, so that "fluid" has to be added whenever it needs to be made clear what kind of ounces are being talked about.

In metric, of course, a liter is a liter and a gram is a gram, and never the twain shall meet.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:05 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
I researched again, and actually 95% of the world's population use Metric. Not just 90%.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:59 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,045,032 times
The U.S. uses metric more often than people realize. But I imagine it would take at least two generations to convert, and that is if we can persuade people it is an effective use of government spending. There are signs to replace, food packages and recipes to redesign; we'll have to make the KPH numbers on the cars larger, of course. The biggest obstacles among common Americans would be temperature and buying gasoline. People are picky about temperature. They know 80-100 degrees (F) is hot, and 20-35 (F) is cold. Upon conversion, 27-38 (C) is hot. The average American's head would explode if they saw a Canadian gas station sign. You're trying to change many, many generations of common thoughts and observations. I would support the switch, but I suspect most people don't want to be a part of the "growing pains" generation.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:43 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
The U.S. uses metric more often than people realize. But I imagine it would take at least two generations to convert, and that is if we can persuade people it is an effective use of government spending. There are signs to replace, food packages and recipes to redesign; we'll have to make the KPH numbers on the cars larger, of course. The biggest obstacles among common Americans would be temperature and buying gasoline. People are picky about temperature. They know 80-100 degrees (F) is hot, and 20-35 (F) is cold. Upon conversion, 27-38 (C) is hot. The average American's head would explode if they saw a Canadian gas station sign. You're trying to change many, many generations of common thoughts and observations. I would support the switch, but I suspect most people don't want to be a part of the "growing pains" generation.
The real problem is political. People deal with money and unit changes every time they travel and adapt very very fast. It's just that the US has so few people who travel and know that you adapt within days or weeks. I think the change will happen when they realise how much time they waste teaching children their complicated sytem, and how that time could be used instead for test prep. Maybe they'll also start including values on coins then, too.

Everything packaged in the US already is metric. Bulk things like petrol, meat and vegetables are the only imperial, so the packaging is really signage. Road signs would be very expensive.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:05 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
when americans speak of being 240 pounds , they sound like they weigh a tonne

that said I would never state my height in metres , im 6 ft 2 , I state my weight in stone ( not KG )

Old 03-22-2014, 02:28 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,065,752 times
The UK had a metrication policy and only went half way. It should be carried out to the full. We buy petrol by the litre but petrol consumption is rated in miles per gallon. We still use miles not km's. We buy kitchen units in mm. We buy beer by the pint and wine by the 750ml bottle and in gasses of 175ml. We weight ourselves in stones and our height is in feet and inches. A joke. We need 100% metrication as it confuses.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:35 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
The UK had a metrication policy and only went half way. It should be carried out to the full. We buy petrol by the litre but petrol consumption is rated in miles per gallon. We still use miles not km's. We buy kitchen units in mm. We buy beer by the pint and wine by the 750ml bottle and in gasses of 175ml. We weight ourselves in stones and our height is in feet and inches. A joke. We need 100% metrication as it confuses.

Ireland is the same although our speed limits are now all in KM , despite this people informally refer to a distance as being so far away in miles rather than KM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World