Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:36 AM

872 posts, read 1,386,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
My dad is a college professor here in the US, and one thing he and his colleagues have seen is that students from mainland China are often ill prepared. Sure they did well in high school back home in China, they learned all that was taught to them, which is based on memorizing statistics/figures/facts. But what they don't learn is critical thinking, which of course is huge in really thinking outside the box and innovating. So when they put students in critical thinking situations in classes a lot of the Chinese students are just lost.

And again on the high school test scores- China uses scores from a school or collection of top end schools in Shanghai, and they compare against the complete national scores here in the US- obviously not an even comparison. If we weeded out our bad apples from some of the worst inner city/poor districts, we'd have stellar test scores, too. Just look at these countless highly rated suburban school districts- you have very bright students getting stellar test scores here.
Observations like this are heavily confounded by communication skills and cultural identity.

My personal experience is that the western education system is also almost exclusively about rote learning, outside of specific humanities/arts fields that emphasise epistemology or creativity. Analytical and critical reasoning skills among individual students seem to be pretty dire up to undergraduate level, even among the brightest and the best at the foremost universities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:55 AM

1,110 posts, read 984,359 times
It is from some western media. And who told China uses scores from the top schools? Please find the source of your false claim.

One is that on the OECD’s study of 15-year-old’s abilities, the so-called PISA study, Shanghai students achieved the highest results in all three categories of reading, mathematics and science. The aim of this study is not to measure the results of learning by rote, but rather to gauge student’s abilities to use the knowledge they have acquired in practical ways. So you cannot dismiss this as the result of Chinese “cramming”. Shanghai is the richest place in mainland China, but the OECD commented that results were close to the OECD average even in very poor areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
My dad is a college professor here in the US, and one thing he and his colleagues have seen is that students from mainland China are often ill prepared. Sure they did well in high school back home in China, they learned all that was taught to them, which is based on memorizing statistics/figures/facts. But what they don't learn is critical thinking, which of course is huge in really thinking outside the box and innovating. So when they put students in critical thinking situations in classes a lot of the Chinese students are just lost.

And again on the high school test scores- China uses scores from a school or collection of top end schools in Shanghai, and they compare against the complete national scores here in the US- obviously not an even comparison. If we weeded out our bad apples from some of the worst inner city/poor districts, we'd have stellar test scores, too. Just look at these countless highly rated suburban school districts- you have very bright students getting stellar test scores here.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:11 PM

657 posts, read 803,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
SORRY. but if you compare Shanghai and Boston (or any other city in US) in the PISA test, Boston will look like some African country. I am sorry. but it is the truth. US really need to improve its education system. It has the best universities in the world but not the primary or secondary level education.
Really?

Mass. Students Among Top-Performing In Global Exam | WBUR

Old 05-08-2014, 02:52 AM

1,110 posts, read 984,359 times
In science, local students tied for seventh in the world. And in math they tied for 10th place, but there was a large gap between Massachusetts students and those in Shanghai, who finished first

Did you even read it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post

Old 05-08-2014, 03:12 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,583,156 times
Quote:
Believe it or not, China will overtake US this year to become the No 1 economy in the world.
So, in re-examining past years data they have decided to use a different multiplication factor for purchasing power. I'll alert the media! Wait ...

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6595424512/h7AFF42C9/

Old 05-08-2014, 06:36 AM

8,869 posts, read 8,454,383 times
I really don't get what the argument over PISA is about tbh.Taiwan also part-took that test and did ok(we sucked at reading,but we ranked 5th in math),but the students are in hell here compare to the other countries that we beat(Denmark,UK etc.).
And honestly most of them(or let's say us) hate math once they(we) got into high school,so exactly how does getting excellent scores in PISA test benefit the little kids in elementary and middle schools?I mean except for being able to brag about "oh our students did marvelously in that test which sounds totally like pizza!"

Btw first and secondary education means pretty much nothing when most of the best students in your countries go abroad for further study,lol.

As for China becoming No.1 economy this year...in what way is that relevant?It's not like once China beats US in terms of GDP,all of its domestic problems would suddenly go away.Most people will still live in poverty,the Chinese governments will continue to be as corruptive as before,the human rights condition will still be as appalling,and the relations among China and its neighbors will still remain awful and hostile.
So again the same question,exactly how does becoming No. 1 economy in the entire world will benefit its citizens?I mean except for being able to brag about "oh ya know wut we are No. 1!!!!"

Btw I can already foresee how the Chinese nationalists here will say about me:"You bitter Taiwanese gurl...jealous much?"
Lol.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:22 AM

657 posts, read 803,320 times
Quote:
In science, local students tied for seventh in the world. And in math they tied for 10th place, but there was a large gap between Massachusetts students and those in Shanghai, who finished first

Did you even read it?
Ah, Misread your post as Boston would look like some African country of tested seperately from US on pisa. Didn't know you were comparing with Shanghai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World