Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 06:23 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,813,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
EU is of the same size in economy as the US. Euro area is much smaller.
But the population is much bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:32 AM

37,160 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
SORRY. but if you compare Shanghai and Boston (or any other city in US) in the PISA test, Boston will look like some African country. I am sorry. but it is the truth. US really need to improve its education system. It has the best universities in the world but not the primary or secondary level education.
You know that Shanghai's PISA scores don't include all schools, right?

Old 05-01-2014, 09:36 AM

37,160 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Give you some facts. Two types of Chinese students go to US for college nowadays. Very smart students who go to the top university and can score full scholarship. The other type is the very dumb students who fail to get admitted in Chinese Universities.
Yes, I understand. I've tutored both. There's also the middle sort of average student that can do alright. There's actually, weirdly enough, a pretty large spectrum. Like, slightly above average or somewhat below average. Because they are people. How odd, right? You can thank me for giving you an even more truthful fact.

Quote:
I do agree with you that China is still underdeveloped in terms of per capita income. Still my point is that China is a huge country, with a great regional divide. The divide is much bigger than in US. The richest state in US maybe only have 2 or 3 times GDP per capita than the poorest. But in China, the riches may have 10 times more GDP per capita than the poorest.

How come can Tibet reach the same level of development in Shanghai? Due to the geographic, demographic, political and ethinical factors, it is just nearly impossible.

Still that does not deny the fact that the east coast part of China is catching up with countries like South Korea.

Hongkong is part of China, can you deny that it is not an advanced economy?
Yes, that huge divide exists. What is your point though? Aren't these portions still a part of China? If you want to talk about China being the number one economy, then you are already referencing something in aggregate. It seems sort of ridiculous to flip back and forth between talking about it in aggregate and then dismissing the lower rungs for whenever you feel like it racks up points for China, right? Isn't that just plain dishonest?

Old 05-01-2014, 09:38 AM

1,110 posts, read 984,359 times
But HK also scores high in the test. I would not believe Sh students are any less hardworking than HK students. As a matter of fact, some second or third tier cities in CHina, students are more motivated than SH or BJ because the competition there is fiercer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You know that Shanghai's PISA scores don't include all schools, right?

Old 05-01-2014, 09:39 AM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
I do agree with you that China is still underdeveloped in terms of per capita income. Still my point is that China is a huge country, with a great regional divide. The divide is much bigger than in US. The richest state in US maybe only have 2 or 3 times GDP per capita than the poorest. But in China, the riches may have 10 times more GDP per capita than the poorest.
Look, if China ever has a GDP per capita of at least $20,000 (in today's money) as a country, then it will begin to turn heads as far as developed status goes.

Before that happens, it will just be fudging numbers.

In the United States, the richest metro areas have a GDP per capita of $70,000+. That is what you are actually competing with in terms of wealth. So get real.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:41 AM

it is just offensive that someone claims that China is dirt poor. New York city has half of its population near poverty line. how is that? NYC is poorer than China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, I understand. I've tutored both. There's also the middle sort of average student that can do alright. There's actually, weirdly enough, a pretty large spectrum. Like, slightly above average or somewhat below average. Because they are people. How odd, right? You can thank me for giving you an even more truthful fact.

Yes, that huge divide exists. What is your point though? Aren't these portions still a part of China? If you want to talk about China being the number one economy, then you are already referencing something in aggregate. It seems sort of ridiculous to flip back and forth between talking about it in aggregate and then dismissing the lower rungs for whenever you feel like it racks up points for China, right? Isn't that just plain dishonest?

Old 05-01-2014, 09:43 AM

when that happens, the size of China's economy is equivilent of US and EU combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Look, if China ever has a GDP per capita of at least $20,000 (in today's money) as a country, then it will begin to turn heads as far as developed status goes.

Before that happens, it will just be fudging numbers.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:56 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
That is good for them, i don't think a country has ever boomed as much as China is about to.. its great for the world to have a rich country with a population of over a billion people, i wonder if their consumer spending will rise? its always seem pretty low to me. even Japan and Germany have greater consumer spending than China.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:39 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Quote:
How come can Tibet reach the same level of development in Shanghai? Due to the geographic, demographic, political and ethinical factors, it is just nearly impossible.
So you say the Tibetans are genetically incapable to catch up with the others?

Quote:
it is just offensive that someone claims that China is dirt poor. New York city has half of its population near poverty line. how is that? NYC is poorer than China.
21% lives under the federal poverty line. In China in 2008 39% of the population lived with under $2.5 a day.

Quote:
when that happens, the size of China's economy is equivilent of US and EU combined.
So that would be $34 trillions. China was yesterday at 9 trillions. It will take some time, and in 2015 most of the EU countries' economies will start to rise again.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:07 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,935,425 times
Quote:
EU is of the same size in economy as the US. Euro area is much smaller.
EU is about $0.5 - 1 trillion bigger in GDP depending on whose numbers you use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World