Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 05:40 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,614,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saxon Lion View Post
Its not just Muslims, you have a large population of africans too. London is not an English city anymore since the English people are now a minority there.
Over 60% of Londoners are British by birth, so you are wrong. The majority of residents in Amsterdam were not born in the Netherlands - focus your energy there instead.

With regards to certain ethnic groups committing more crime than others - poverty is a pretty obvious explanation. Groups of people that have disproportionate numbers of their population living in poverty will almost always have higher levels of crime.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:26 AM

132 posts, read 150,324 times
@markovian process

Quote:
When people talk about the US, they often discuss the racial disparity in crime/poverty/socioeconomic status but I wonder how other developed countries do in the gap between their minorities and the majority/dominant population?

I'm wondering if the other Anglo nations have such a crime gap between whites and non-whites, since many non-whites are recent immigrants, except for indigenous people (and I guess for Canada, descendents of American blacks, who weren't enslaved in Canada probably do better and are more middle class). Perhaps in many of those places, there is a less strong gap between whites and others except maybe indigenous people are the most worst off?

Also, it seems like some of the racial crime stereotypes in American society aren't true in other developed nations, and it seems to be the case based on statistics I've read somewhere. It seems for instance, that in the UK, South Asians have high crime rates, and that is not even at all a stereotype of them in the US.

I know many countries in Europe don't collect race info though.
For Germany it's very difficult to find data separated for different groups. We don't distinguish between different races. We normally differentiate between native Germans (80%) and people with a migration backround (20%). Or betwenn german nationality (73 Mil) and foreigners (7.5 Mil). Crime statistics only differentiate between german citizenship and foreigners and that only for all crime combined.

In 2012 there were 1,591,728 suspects with german citizenship and 502,390 foreign suspects. That's 2,180 german suspects / 100,000 germans and 6,699 foreign suspects / 100,000 foreigners.

When it comes to homicide I only found some data on the net, they stated that about 30% of all homicides are commited by foreigners. It's sounds plausible to me, but I am not sure.

There are 630 homicides in Germany in 2012. Probably about 441 commited by germans and 189 by foreigners.

Homicide rates for Germans: 0.6
Homicide rates for foreigners: 2.5

Note: these numbers are self calculated :-)

A lot of the foreigners comes from countries where violence is much more common and accepted. Therefore I think those numbers are very plausible. If there were data available for people from countries like: Serbia, Russia, Kosovo, Bosnien und Herzegowina, Ukraine. I am sure that the figures for them were much higher than those for all foreigners. I have heard that there is a lot of crime between asylum seeker from Africa. I guess in their homelands is crime omnipresent. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with these asylum seeker. In my opinion Europe schould admit much more people from Africa and do make much more efforts to integrate them.

I have just seen a statistic that shows the shocking high rate of murders under young black people in the U.S. In Germany, when considering crime commited by young people the gap between germans and foreigners is not that big than the gap for all age groups. Younger foreigners are far better integrated than the older ones.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:26 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,568,079 times
In cities the racial contrast is more extreme, as these days poorer whites have mostly left big cities, while the poorest minorities are often concentrated in big cities. Here's some stats, though will vary a bit by year (NYC was somewhat lower the last two years, for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Murder rate breakdown by race (of victim), per 100k:

Oakland:

White: 4.9
Hispanic: 15.5
Asian: 6.1
Black: 65.2

Chicago:

White: 2.1
Hispanic: 11.0
Asian: 1.0
Black: 37.6

New York City:

White: 1.4
Hispanic: 5.9
Asian: 1.5
Black: 14.6

Hispanic blacks are counted as hispanics for New York City, dunno if the other cities even have a large population of hispanic blacks. For Oakland and Chicago numbers are 2009-2011, New York City, just 2011. For more violent cities such as Baltimore, even if all the murder victims were blacks, the black murder rate would still be lower than Oakland (around 47).

Old 05-08-2014, 01:00 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,840,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Over 60% of Londoners are British by birth, so you are wrong. The majority of residents in Amsterdam were not born in the Netherlands - focus your energy there instead.
How many of the Londoners are Londoners by birth? That's all that matters.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:05 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,585,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saxon Lion View Post
Its not just Muslims, you have a large population of africans too. London is not an English city anymore since the English people are now a minority there.
Aren't most of these immigrants coming from former colonies of The Empire? In a way, they are just coming home to the mother country.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,568,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
NYC and indeed the US were built on immigration, does that mean US Cities aren't American, and other major European cities also have significant immigrant populations.
Yes, at least in an American context that doens't make much sense.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:13 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,707,491 times
Access to firearms.
Huge ghetto mentality amongst the poor.
This "dont eff with me" attitude amongst the poor as well. Or perhaps one must prove themselves tough and over-react to things like being cut-off in traffic or looking at somebody the wrong way. God forbid u do that, u may be killed.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:22 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,368,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I was just looking at this article...

Opinion: The Deadliest Global City | NBC Chicago

Here are top world cities by murder rate...

Singapore 0.4
Tokyo 0.5
Hong Kong 0.6
Berlin 1.0
Sydney 1.0
London 1.4
Toronto 1.7
Amsterdam 1.8
Paris 4.4
New York 6.0
Los Angeles 7.5

Mexico City 8.0
Moscow 9.6
Sao Paulo 15.6
Chicago 19.4

If you look, the American cities are way more violent. I'm mean...compare Chicago or Los Angeles to Tokyo or Berlin. Why is that?
1.) Chicago's murder rate is NOT 19.4. As of 2012, it's 18.5. Therefore, this article is outdated and invalid.

2.) Do you know what MSAs are? Chicago, NYC and LA will have lower murder rates on a metro level than places like Sao Paulo, which almost consists of an entire metro. Not only that, but many cities like Mexico City and Sao Paulo have a lot of poverty violence OUTSIDE of its city-limits.

FBI — Table 6

Old 05-08-2014, 01:25 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,707,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
1.) Chicago's murder rate is NOT 19.4. As of 2012, it's 18.5. Therefore, this article is outdated and invalid.

2.) Do you know what MSAs are? Chicago, NYC and LA will have lower murder rates on a metro level than places like Sao Paulo, which almost consists of an entire metro. Not only that, but many cities like Mexico City and Sao Paulo have a lot of poverty violence OUTSIDE of its city-limits.

FBI — Table 6
the difference is Brazil and Mexico are developing countries and the US is supposedly a civilised 1st world country. Our murder rates are embarrassing.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:30 PM

613 posts, read 1,170,621 times
In the US, immigrants actually have lower crime than native-born people.

Immigration Reduces Crime Rates | LiveScience
Crime rises among second-generation immigrants as they assimilate | Pew Research Center

The crime rate actually goes up between first generation and second generation immigrants.

It goes to show that it isn't being from a different ethnic group or race that matters but the society one integrates into or assimilates into.

Also there is a different history between recent immigrant minorities vs. historically oppressed minorities (like black Americans descended from slaves) in their history of "assimilating" to the rest of, or the dominant society.

Recent immigrant minorities (like in Europe) have the problem of not assimilating well because they choose not to, or cling to their group or culture. Historically, in the US, minorities (mostly black slave descendents) have historically been denied the chance to "assimilate", even if they wanted to, for generations upon generations and been ghettoized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World