Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 01:33 PM

338 posts, read 335,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Lol! I used to live behind the Iron Curtain, so you're very much mistaken.
Got anything else?
I don't count Eastern Europe, they belong to the west.

Sorry for existing, sorry for the fact over 300,000,000 people exist, sorry we do not live up to your standards of how a civilized society should be, sorry we are taking time to pull things together in a country where there is no dominant ethnicity, sorry for not viewing the western world as all that matters, sorry for having more people who are interested in the likes of Mandarin and Tagalog instead of "sophisticated" languages like
Russian, Italian, Japanese or French, sorry for getting annoyed when you deliberately make fun of Americans, sorry for bringing up the fact you do not lay a finger on China or Russian despite doing even worse things, sorry we are all mixed race, sorry for all the people who made a single complaint about your country/culture despite you making numerous mocking statements, sorry for us just standing here and taking crap

Old 09-02-2014, 01:58 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahhammer View Post
I don't count Eastern Europe, they belong to the west.

Sorry for existing, sorry for the fact over 300,000,000 people exist, sorry we do not live up to your standards of how a civilized society should be, sorry we are taking time to pull things together in a country where there is no dominant ethnicity, sorry for not viewing the western world as all that matters, sorry for having more people who are interested in the likes of Mandarin and Tagalog instead of "sophisticated" languages like
Russian, Italian, Japanese or French, sorry for getting annoyed when you deliberately make fun of Americans, sorry for bringing up the fact you do not lay a finger on China or Russian despite doing even worse things, sorry we are all mixed race, sorry for all the people who made a single complaint about your country/culture despite you making numerous mocking statements, sorry for us just standing here and taking crap
Wow! You're really thin-skinned, aren't you? Feel free to make fun of Canadians. I won't whine about it like you're doing. I'll probably join you.
Seriously? Soviet Russia belonged to the west? Damn!
You may want to read the title of this thread. It's about America, not China or Russia. Start a thread about China or Russia, and I'll be glad to contribute my two cents.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 09-02-2014 at 02:07 PM..

Old 09-02-2014, 02:24 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
sorry for having more people who are interested in the likes of Mandarin and Tagalog instead of "sophisticated" languages like
Russian, Italian, Japanese or French,
Average Americans are interested in learning Mandarin and Tagalog?

Old 09-02-2014, 04:50 PM

338 posts, read 335,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Average Americans are interested in learning Mandarin and Tagalog?
Most people who learn a language just do it for a grade, so they take Spanish because its easier than French and most teachers don't care about your personal goals, if you get into a Mandarin class or some less studied class the teacher will probably shout at you for wasting their time if you are just in it for a grade.
Only 1/100 Americans may speak a second language, but of that 1% there are a larger percentage who learn more exotic languages compared to the 50% of Europe who speak a 2nd language, of that 50%, most are usually the same old stuff.

To Weltschmerz,

Fair enough, you have a good point.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:12 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Perhaps read better the first message (written in your English moreover);

The fact itself is this:
Fewest people in Europe (Middle East and Muslim countries are another matter) hate the US and fewest hate Americans on their own.
Most people (me included) is quite critical of the American government, point.
The hatred towards Americans, "the world is hostile" etc is just a huge fantasy of American people.
Nobody hates you, we don't waste our time thinking about the US, we are not jealous about you and we don't desire your lifestyle, end.
Live and let live.
I know people hate us but they are mostly from the middle east, there is a certain vocal minority of people from other developed nations that love to do what they can to degrade Americans however.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:36 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
All second term presidents are like near the end of their second term. they stop caring as they can't run again.
I dunno - guess I just expected more.. I think Clinton was still pretty energetic in his second term lol.....

Old 09-02-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Most people who learn a language just do it for a grade, so they take Spanish because its easier than French and most teachers don't care about your personal goals, if you get into a Mandarin class or some less studied class the teacher will probably shout at you for wasting their time if you are just in it for a grade.
Only 1/100 Americans may speak a second language, but of that 1% there are a larger percentage who learn more exotic languages compared to the 50% of Europe who speak a 2nd language, of that 50%, most are usually the same old stuff.

This is hard to believe in the absence of actual stats.

First of all I am pretty sure that more than 1% of Americans speak more than one language. It's a country of immigrants and many Americans learned another language in the country of their birth, or learned one while living in the US but being raised by parents who spoke another language than English.

I would assume that the percentage of Americans who speak more than one language is 20% or higher simply because of this.

And of Americans who do not have another language because of family background, it's safe to say the vast majority would speak Spanish. And another sizeable chunk probably knows French.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:38 PM

510 posts, read 610,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is hard to believe in the absence of actual stats.

First of all I am pretty sure that more than 1% of Americans speak more than one language. It's a country of immigrants and many Americans learned another language in the country of their birth, or learned one while living in the US but being raised by parents who spoke another language than English.

I would assume that the percentage of Americans who speak more than one language is 20% or higher simply because of this.

And of Americans who do not have another language because of family background, it's safe to say the vast majority would speak Spanish. And another sizeable chunk probably knows French.
According to the census bureau (https://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/acs-22.pdf), 20% of Americans speak a language other than English at home. Of those, about 80% reported that they also speak English well and another 12% reported they speak a little English (the remaining 8% responded that they could not speak English). So that means at least 15-17% of Americans speak more than one language.

Since 20% of Americans reported speaking a language other than English at home, the remaining 80% responded that they speak English at home, but that doesn't necessarily mean those guys are all monolingual. Someone like Mitt Romney, for example, would probably respond that he speaks English at home, as his family is English speaking, but he is also fluent in French.

I would estimate that at least 25% of Americans can speak a second language with reasonable fluency.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:22 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
According to the census bureau (https://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/acs-22.pdf), 20% of Americans speak a language other than English at home. Of those, about 80% reported that they also speak English well and another 12% reported they speak a little English (the remaining 8% responded that they could not speak English). So that means at least 15-17% of Americans speak more than one language.

Since 20% of Americans reported speaking a language other than English at home, the remaining 80% responded that they speak English at home, but that doesn't necessarily mean those guys are all monolingual. Someone like Mitt Romney, for example, would probably respond that he speaks English at home, as his family is English speaking, but he is also fluent in French.

I would estimate that at least 25% of Americans can speak a second language with reasonable fluency.
His accent is absolutely atrocious. John Kerry speaks it better.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post

That sounds about right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World