Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 02:09 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,293,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
I wonder if our Golfer-in-Chief makes the USA more liked or less liked, in general, among the citizens of the world.
Euro and Canadian Liberals get a hard on every time they hear the name Obama. I guess it does not matter that in some ways, he was more agressive militarily than George Bush and deported way more illegal immigrants than Bush ever did.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:11 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,763,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I hear they love him in Pakistan and Yemen.
Surprisingly - I'd say Canada/U.S relations have kind of soured since Obama has taken office.. The Keystone pipeline delays and an unwillingness to take cross border trade improvement issues seriously on the U.S side (according to the Canadian gvt anyway) ie delayed funding for a Customs Plaza on the U.S side for a New Detroit/Windsor Bridge.. Our leaders don't exactly get along on environmental issues to say the least. I'd say our current PM was secretly hoping that Romney would have gotten in back in 2012.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:13 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,219,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Surprisingly - I'd say Canada/U.S relations have kind of soured since Obama has taken office.. The Keystone pipeline delays and an unwillingness to take cross border trade improvement issues seriously on the U.S side (according to the Canadian gvt anyway) ie delayed funding for a Customs Plaza on the U.S side for a New Detroit/Windsor Bridge.. I'd say our current PM was secretly hoping that Romney would have gotten in back in 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjDseaEVeCg

Old 09-01-2014, 02:14 PM

8,854 posts, read 8,372,932 times
Honestly I think the only people that actually hate the US are those that live in some parts of the Middle East.Europeans are merely frowning their eyebrows,while those Chinese that have been constantly stating how big a bully and how corruptive US has been would jump on a plane and settle in San Francisco as soon as their green cards are granted.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:19 PM

18,502 posts, read 15,417,056 times
Quote:
Surprisingly - I'd say Canada/U.S relations have kind of soured since Obama has taken office.. The Keystone pipeline delays and an unwillingness to take cross border trade improvement issues seriously on the U.S side (according to the Canadian gvt anyway) ie delayed funding for a Customs Plaza on the U.S side for a New Detroit/Windsor Bridge.. Our leaders don't exactly get along on environmental issues to say the least. I'd say our current PM was secretly hoping that Romney would have gotten in back in 2012.
I agree. I would also say the the majority of Canadians don't like our " dear leader " views on the environment either.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:45 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,274,318 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gentoo

You think that's funny? One of the times I went
to Seattle, another girl who also lives in San Diego asked what time it was
there. I told her it was the same time it is in San Diego. She was completely
bewildered. She went on to say how can that be possible when the time is
different in other states? I proceeded to explain to her how time zones work but I think I just
confused her for life
You'll get a kick out of this.....
All Time Dumbest Questions Asked by Banff Park Tourists

Old 09-01-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
People are generally bad at geography - only people who take an interest excel at it, as in any subject. Ask any ordinary Brit where certain cities are and they may be able to give a rough general area but that's it. Saw a contestent on a quiz show recently who thought Runcorn, a town in the NW of England near Liverpool, was near the Humber Bridge - on the opposite side of the country - over 100 miles east. I also met a person who thought Liverpool was in Scotland - and they are from England. I don't think lack of geographic knowledge is unique to Americans - people just don't care. Geography is boring to most people.
That's nothing. I got into an argument with an American university student who insisted that Rome is the capital city of Romania.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Sometimes shockingly so. I have always said, that I couldn't care less if they don't know who our PM is, or even if we have one. Or being unable to name a single province.
What I did care about was some people treating me like I came from some backwards, backwoods, primitive place.
Most of it is harmless of course, and as I said humorous, like talking to a guy form NYC while I was in France. He asked how I got there. I thought he meant the town we were in, so told him by train. After talking in circles for a few moments it became clear he meat how I got Europe. By plane I told him. Yes he said he figured that, but what he really what city did I catch the plane from. He already know that I was from Vancouver, so when I answered Vancouver, he kind was getting frustrated with my answers.
The light went on, when he said…" no, what US city did you leave from ". I told him again that I left from Vancouver.
In trying to figure out where this guys head was, I told him, " Canada has it's own airports you know".
He didn't know. He truly believed that we had to leave Canada and catch a plane in the US.

I still laugh at this one even though it's been over 20 years ago.
People used to tell me I had an accent and asked me where I was from. I told them I was from across the border.
"That's funny...you don't look Mexican!"
"No, the OTHER border!"
"Huh? What other border? What are you talking about?"

Old 09-01-2014, 04:59 PM

545 posts, read 863,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Euro and Canadian Liberals get a hard on every time they hear the name Obama. I guess it does not matter that in some ways, he was more agressive militarily than George Bush and deported way more illegal immigrants than Bush ever did.
Which ways ? Because during his presidency you left Iraq and Afghanistan. Both trillion dollars wars engaged by Bush. Obama ? Lybia, NSA, Bin Laden, drones. Didn't go in Central Africa nor Syria (even if he wanted to).
I'm not a fan of Obama, but military speaking, it's hard to do worse than Bush. The biggest downside of Obama is he continued what the Bush administration did about civil surveillance, Guantanamo and police enforcement.
Economically speaking it's not that bad for the US compared to the rest of the developed world.

Quote:
Since Obama is in office, I feel like US relations with all the Western world are quite degrading. He is focusing his policies on Asia, taking the West for granted.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:28 PM

16,580 posts, read 27,296,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
LOL these remind me of the questions park guests would asked when I worked at SeaWorld like, "How often do you have to repaint the whales?" or "so when does Shamu go to the other parks to perform?" LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.