Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How politically correct are people in your country?
To a fault 30 68.18%
Not at all 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 03:58 PM

261 posts, read 275,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Aboriginals (especially on the Prairies) and French Canadians/Québécois (most anywhere in Anglo-Canada) are the two exceptions to the fairly strict Canadian PC rule - it is way more socially acceptable to say un-PC things about them than any other groups.
That's interesting, thank you. So the rule is not absolute. Nevertheless, while you've encountered anglophone Canadians who've said rather un-PC things about you to your face, I think you've said before that most of them still held to the expected politeness, whatever they might have privately thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 04:21 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
Street preaching against homosexuality leads to arrest here.

Police Arrest US Street Preacher in Scotland for Calling Homosexuality a Sin
American Evangelist Arrested in London for Preaching Homosexuality Is a Sin

As far as the legislature is concerned, it's pretty terrible. People's general attitudes are a different story, however, many being outraged by the actions of the police in this case and against the irrational way public order laws are being enforced:

Boy arrested for calling police horse "gay" | Metro News
Even though I find it bad taste of a preacher preaching against homosexuality in public I do not think he should be arrested.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:45 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Well i just took our 1 year old toddler to a singing secession at my local library. Apparently the well known children song now goes ba ba pink sheep.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:30 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
They can be vocally politically correct, especially our media.

A bunch of non-Islamic people protested against Geert Wilders in Melbourne, and they tried to stop people from entering the meeting, at times violently. It was disgusting and rather ironic (using violence to tell us that Islam is peaceful and that we're racist). They weren't even Muslim. Little do they know that Muslims in Iran and Saudi Arabia want their head for being Christian or Atheists (or whatever the hell they were).

In the media Geert Wilders was told off by our reporters (Andrew O'Keefe and Koch) for "spreading hate" and "prejudice". O'Keefe, who was raised a Catholic, was so rude and obnoxious towards Wilders.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:41 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
They can be vocally politically correct, especially our media.

A bunch of non-Islamic people protested against Geert Wilders in Melbourne, and they tried to stop people from entering the meeting, at times violently. It was disgusting and rather ironic (using violence to tell us that Islam is peaceful and that we're racist). They weren't even Muslim. Little do they know that Muslims in Iran and Saudi Arabia want their head for being Christian or Atheists (or whatever the hell they were).

In the media Geert Wilders was told off by our reporters (Andrew O'Keefe and Koch) for "spreading hate" and "prejudice". O'Keefe, who was raised a Catholic, was so rude and obnoxious towards Wilders.
That's one thing that I have pointed out a few times to my friends who are pretty hardcore SJW's a few times... that in many cases, the groups that they think that they're helping in the name of social justice

a) hate them to the degree that they'd kill them just as soon as whomever
b) hate them and, though they don't want them *dead* per se, want them to be somehow subjugated themselves
c) just plain don't want their help at all
d) don't freak out as much about social injustices against them as the SJW's do; maybe don't even perceive them as social injustices in the first place
e) are a subjugated group who actually supports the subjugation of other groups to an equal or greater degree than the people they rally against.

It always boggles my mind that you have this group of people who freak out about gender-shaming "microaggressions," want to neuter the English language so that no one ever gets their feelings hurt, and points to basically everything as being a product of an ever-present "rape culture" who will turn around and with no sense of hypocrisy or irony act as an apologist for fundamentalist Islam in the wake of something like the Charlie Hebdo massacre, evidently giving a free pass to that group's utterly appalling treatment of women because it's a different, non-WASP culture.

A friend of mine who has gone over the edge with this stuff has ironically alienated basically all of our nonwhite friends (and a good chunk of them too) with this sort of behavior. After the Newton shootings, she posted up a meme that said something to the effect of "Oh, you think the Newtown shootings were the worst massacre in American history? False: ___ women and children were killed at wounded knee by white American." A friend of ours who is a full-blood Navajo woman lost it on her, told her that it was disgusting that she was using a day-old tragedy to try to make people feel guilty over something that happened over a century ago, that the souls of the women and children killed at Wounded Knee would have found her statement repugnant, and that they didn't need "angry middle-class white girls fighting their fights for them." She's posted said things that act as apologism for black-on-black violence and had black friends tell her that she's actually taking the same standpoint that neo Nazi groups who want them to "sort eachother out" take, or she speaks of black urban culture in exalted terms of unity and oneness, then has a gay black friend remind her of the rampant and accepted homophobia that exists in the black community.

Then, like many other SJW's I've encountered, she either has an aneurysm over how she doesn't understand why they aren't so grateful for her taking the offensive on their behalf, or she goes on to basically tell a group of black, native american, gay, muslim, etc people that they don't understand what it's like to be them.

It's a bizarre subculture that's extrapolated a noble and progressive ideal and turned it into an angry, confrontational, divisive, phenomenally arrogant and ignorant movement that is every bit as bad as the movements that it is a reaction to. Sad.

Here in China, political correctness is an abstract concept. If you're fat, people will tell you you're fat. If you're skinny, people will tell you you're skinny. If you're tall, people will tell you you're tall. If you're short, people will tell you you're short. If you call a woman "xiao mei nyu" (little, beautiful woman) it's taken as a compliment almost universally, while back in the US, it'd probably get you kicked in the groin before too long.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:44 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I hate political correctness.

But I acknowledge it wouldn't have to exist if people weren't such bigoted aholes.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:19 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,875 times
in my country we're not very pc, but its starting to occur.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:17 AM

827 posts, read 631,518 times
This picture is a good summary of how we are pc

Old 01-15-2015, 06:43 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times

"We might be virgins - but we're not desperate"

Old 01-15-2015, 06:59 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
Do you ever feel tired in their presence? Do you feel fatigued talking to them because everything has to be so perfectly embellished, and it has to please everyone?

What's the situation in your country like? I mean are people more inclined to being politically correct as a form of upbringing or do they speak their mind?

In my country, people are so politically correct, the meter reading crashes through the roof.
Political correctness is a regional thing, in the US. Its big in states like CA, NY, (in the city mainly) , and other North Eastern regions. In the area of NV I live in being PC is considered a character flaw. A serious one. Anyone who feels they have to tiptoe around things needs help. However, a short drive down to Sacramento puts one in a different world.

Just , flat, spit out what you mean there, and you get looked at like you just stepped off a flying saucer. Ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World