Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 09:25 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times

Advertisements

California
New York (Mostly just the city)
Texas
Florida
Alabama
Massachusetts (Just because Harvard, MIT)
West Virginia (so many people sing country roads.. all my Indian friends here love that song/associate it with USA)
New Jersey
Hawaii
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 08:48 AM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Folks bringing up (myself included) the fact that most who know of New York probably just know of the city and not the state got me thinking. I'm curious how many fully understand the concept of a US state in this context. Like when people hear California, I'm curious to know what they think California is. I'm sure most do, but still very curious.

Old 04-20-2022, 02:01 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Many do not know that Washington is a state located in the Pacific Northwest.
And I'd like to know why this state was named in this so unoriginal way, since the capital has already this name. No indigenous name available?

Old 04-21-2022, 07:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
All I can tell you is that once I sat beside a European girl on a transatlantic flight. She was so excited about her trip to the US - her first trip here. She was going to be here for 14 days which included her two travel days. I said "What are you going to see?" and she said "Washington DC, Boston, NYC, Niagara Falls, Maine, Chicago, New Orleans, San Antonio, San Francisco, gonna try to fit in LA, and Fort Worth too!" I said "I sure hope you plan on a lot of flying between those destinations - that's a lot to try to see in less than two weeks!" and she said "Well, I plan on flying some and driving some." Goodness.

I've lived in the US nearly my whole life and I still haven't seen a few of those places!

Old 04-21-2022, 12:45 PM

624 posts, read 906,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
People know New York as a city, not as a state. It’s Paris. Nobody knows Ile de France. People know Frankfurt, not Hesse.

Of the lower 48, I’ll go with Florida, California, and Texas.
Now I’m embarrassed, I try to know the major cities and or capitals of most countries and it never occurred to me to know what providence/region those cities are in. My great- great Grandparents are from Schomberg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany, I heard of the word Baden and that’s it. I looked it up on a map and it was somewhat near Stuttgart I had heard of that city. I now know Baden-Württemberg is the region. A neighbor who is from Germany said that is the Black Forest area, I heard of that but had no idea where that was at Germany.

Do European countries have signs posted for the different regions? In the US especially on the interstates signs are posted at state lines, example Welcome to Texas the Lone Star State or Illinois Land of Lincoln. Do these regions have different laws. I was in Oregon with my daughter who attends Oregon State and was attempting to put gas in the rental, my daughter said you can’t pump gas here yourself it’s state law.

Old 04-21-2022, 03:25 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,669,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Sometimes, when we have had a Texan president, some people have the uneasy notion that a foreigner is leading the country. :-)
Believe me, nothing would make me happier than having a "foreigner" like LBJ as President. It's those other "foreigners," like Ted Cruz, that are the problem.

Signed,

A New Englander

Old 04-21-2022, 03:31 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,669,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Florida.

Oh my god I seen like 10 classmates there this summer
Oh lawd, I "seen" them too! Has the US grammar pandemic crossed the Atlantic now?

Old 05-30-2022, 11:30 AM

138 posts, read 73,547 times
In The Netherlands, a respectable amount of people also know about Oklahoma because of the tornado's. Although Oklahoma didn't get the really nasty ones since 2013, if you ask about tornado's around here, the most named state would be Oklahoma .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World