Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 01:28 AM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times

Advertisements

I usually look what state get most of the spam posts from around the world.
Some states/cities get spam all the times, other don't get spam at all. Those must be lesser known, worldwide...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbvbvbv View Post
i think in europe where i lived before moving to usa in 90s is california and that is it
people dont really know about states then because no internet but it was only california and cities like chicago or new york l.a. or san francisko. probably different these days but then it was in my neighborhood just california and cities

People in Europe learn world geography in the schools, so they generally know at least the most "important" US states and cities.
They might not desire to visit some, though...

I think people in Europe have better idea about the US and the world geography that people in the US know about Europe and the world.

Old 04-06-2022, 04:42 AM

27,198 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
People in Europe learn world geography in the schools, so they generally know at least the most "important" US states and cities.

I think people in Europe have better idea about the US and the world geography that people in the US know about Europe and the world.

The stand out areas in terms of tourism in relation to Britons are New York City, Florida, New England, California and Las Vegas.

However I know where most states are and could find them on a map.

Old 04-06-2022, 05:12 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,074,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

The stand out areas in terms of tourism in relation to Britons are New York City, Florida, New England, California and Las Vegas.

However I know where most states are and could find them on a map.
You're British...I'm agreeing with you, sounds spot on.

OP mentioning "around the world"....imagine asking people in countries
in Africa, Asia, even South America....the average person would not know very many
US states ....maybe California, Texas, Florida, and New York state...and some would not
even know those states.

Old 04-06-2022, 07:23 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,608,534 times
I just asked an adult who has never bee to the US

Texas
Florida
Iowa
Oklahoma
Kansas
Mississippi
Utah
Washington
New York
Wisconsin

By then, cities were most named

Old 04-07-2022, 03:49 AM

27,198 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
You're British...I'm agreeing with you, sounds spot on.

OP mentioning "around the world"....imagine asking people in countries
in Africa, Asia, even South America....the average person would not know very many
US states ....maybe California, Texas, Florida, and New York state...and some would not
even know those states.

I think you might have a more confused answer if you ask people in non-western countries or from the Pacific

In terms of Europe, the Eastern coast of the US is easier to get to and involves less flying, and the same applies to Florida when compared to California. However California and places such as Las Vegas are still popular.

Those flying in to the US from the Pacific rather than Atlantic may have a different perspective entirely.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:38 PM

282 posts, read 217,752 times
Quote:

It doesn't seem so, given the responses by those people in this thread. I think it's the other way around, people in the U.S. seem to know more about the rest of the world than the rest of the world knows about us.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque 101 View Post
It doesn't seem so, given the responses by those people in this thread. I think it's the other way around, people in the U.S. seem to know more about the rest of the world than the rest of the world knows about us.
On this forum, perhaps.
Generally? Their geography knowledge is an Internet joke. Google it.
https://ingmaralbizu.com/why-we-need...-at-geography/

https://www.boredpanda.com/americans...ntries-on-map/

Not their fault, though. But the sad state of general education ..

Old 04-07-2022, 10:22 PM

282 posts, read 217,752 times
Quote:
On this forum, perhaps.
Generally? Their geography knowledge is an Internet joke. Google it.
https://ingmaralbizu.com/why-we-need...-at-geography/

https://www.boredpanda.com/americans...ntries-on-map/

Not their fault, though. But the sad state of general education ..
Yes, I've seen stuff like that before, but there's also plenty of reverse examples.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/n...-the-us-states

https://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/i...el-the-us-stat

What I've noticed in recent years is that there are less tourists in the U.S. from abroad who are doing things like traveling Route 66 or who have a real interest in U.S. history such as the Old West, etc. And it seems everyone in the U.S. nowadays wishes to flaunt their knowledge of the rest of the world by going on trips to far-flung and obscure places around the world. They try to outdo each other with their knowledge of these places.

The trend with everything in the U.S. over the last two decades or so is to be authentic and to have lots of knowledge in everything, such as food. People in the U.S. actively seek out the most unique places and things that they can find from around the world.

At the same time the rest of the world has become increasingly anti-American and resentful of the U.S. having any influence over their lives and parts of the world. The rest of the world seems much more indifferent and hostile to anything American nowadays. That is causing the reduction of interest in the United States and its history and thus knowledge of the country.

I truly think things have done a complete 180 in this century.

Old 04-08-2022, 05:56 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
People know New York as a city, not as a state. It’s Paris. Nobody knows Ile de France. People know Frankfurt, not Hesse.

Of the lower 48, I’ll go with Florida, California, and Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World