Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 05:00 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,978 times

Advertisements

Firstly, your question is very pathetic. We are not Infidels. That is a term some desert dwelling Muslims refer to non-believers. Let us tolerate that sort of talk for what it is. In the UK most Muslims would starve if it wasn`t for Infidel benefits. Pathetic really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 05:53 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,118 times
Well, the OP's question may be over the top, it may even be absurd - we all know about moderate, safe Islamic countries, but I think only the obtuse would suggest they don't understand how we got here. Islam, largely through the actions of a sizable minority of those who claim to be its followers, has given itself a bad rap. Apart from safety, there are the attitudes towards women, the fact that in theory at any rate, so-called blasphemy laws merit severe punishment, including death, intolerance toward gays etc.
My admitted bias? I believe that all religions should be tossed in the proverbial bin. But the OP's apparent paranoia, or lack of generosity, who doesn't get it.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
If the answer to the title question is "to proselytize", they reap what they sow. I have not heard of any travelers having any problems in Islamic countries if they went there for any other reason.

I, as an infidel, have been in almost every Muslim country, and lived in two of them, and never met a single person who was anything other than generously welcoming and hospitable.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:26 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
There are some Muslim countries that are safe to visit...Malaysia, Turkey, UAE, even Saudi is pretty safe although dull as Hades.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:40 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
Easiest places for westerners to get jobs outside their home country.

I'd love to get a chance to live in Europe or Japan, but my best chances are the Middle East if I want to stay in my field.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:44 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
I tend to side with guys like Bill Maher and Sam Harris on Islam
Bill Maher is a comedian who says silly things about Islam and Muslim countries. He doesnt know what he is talking about most of the time.

Sam Harris's books and talks about Islam are intelligent and compelling. But is is hard to agree with everything he says on this issue.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:51 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
With the rise of Muslim fanatics attacking & killing non-Muslims, why would any who isn't Muslim travel to a Muslim nation?
First of all the fanatics are blown out of proportion by the media. Secondly for those of us who don't listen to the media and are street smart with the right credentials (Education, certifications, training , skills, etc...) actually have jobs that pay extremely better than in the US.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:09 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I doubt I would go Syria at the moment (I did a tour through the country in 2003), or Iraq or Somalia as well, That is about it however.

Of course most of the worlds Muslims are South or East Asian, well away from the trouble spots in the middle east.
yeah, Australians even eventually returned in droves to Bali.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:15 PM

605 posts, read 669,993 times
Even though Turkey is a majority Muslim country, culturally I would say it has much more in common with Europe as opposed to places such as Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan. Ditto with Indonesia and Malaysia which are known for being pretty open and accommodating to non-Muslims as well. Bottom line you should not paint every Muslim country with a broad brush since there are a lot of cultural differences between say Saudi Arabia and Indonesia/Bosnia.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:56 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
Nicholas Kristof, (the famous New York Times columnist who has reported on humanitarian and refugee issues for 30 years, visiting over 100 countries), believes that nations such as Bangladesh and Oman are peaceful because they offer education to women and their culture is not misogynistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World