Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 11:06 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,118,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I don't care for Subway either.
Usually when I go out to eat I go to " Mama Fatso's Greasy Kitchen. "
She just had the place sprayed for roaches last week and they covered up that peep hole in the women's restroom. If you get there early you can get that table that doesn't wobble.
Subway, is too processed for me
lol @ Mama Fatso's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I think it's a socioeconomic thing. I have no idea why, as I think eating fast food three times a day costs more than a bag of groceries that will provide you with the same amount of meals. It won't be the best or most balanced, but still eons better than nothing but McDonalds.

But it almost always seems like the less money someone has, the more inclined they are to eat a lot of junk.
A lot of people lack cooking skills, time poor etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 11:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
the term 4f became obsolete when the draft was ended.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:38 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,758 times
America has the fast food culture, why cook when we can go to the drive thru type of mentality.... its fairly easy to gain weight there, but canada and australia are the same!

the secret to a healthy lifestyle is cooking your own meals, takes 30 minutes but you're eating healthy!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:50 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,528,473 times
Junk food is a problem in every part of the world, not an exclusivity of americans, nor invented by them. Simply the most famous fast food chains come from USA, but I guess their food is not better or worse than in other parts of the world. I don't know in Europe, but here in Brazil fast food is very popular if we judge by the amount of restaurants in the large cities, but not in the daily meal.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:07 AM

30,374 posts, read 19,177,636 times
As a group Americans eat too much and not enough of the right foods. But there´s a large and growing group of health fanatics also. We also as a nation, don´t walk enough as we all have cars. I´ve noticed in locales where most travel by dubway, people are healthier as they have to walk to where they are going.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:12 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
In comparison to Eurasia.

Not so much Canada but United States citizens. It puzzles
me how I see Burger King and McDOnalds get so many
customers here and places like Subway get little
customers in comparison here on a typical day. It seems
like even older people here make those kind of choices.

Are people not as health conscious here like they are
elsewhere or what? I can only imagine how these same
people eat at home since what you choose to eat for a
restaurant reflects your home food choices as well.
What do Burger King, Mac. Ronald's and Subway have in common with restaurants?

Old 11-24-2014, 11:37 AM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Junk food is a problem in every part of the world, not an exclusivity of americans, nor invented by them.
Wrong.
The first fast food restaurants originated in the United States with A&W in 1919 and White Castle in 1921, or maybe with the opening of a fast food restaurant called "The Automat in New York in 1912".
Today, American-founded fast food chains such as McDonald's and KFC are multinational corporations with outlets across the globe.
In most fast food operations, menu items are generally made from processed ingredients prepared at a central supply facility and then shipped to individual outlets where they are reheated, cooked (reheated or deep fried) or assembled in a short amount of time.
In the US, consumers spent $160 billion on fast food in 2012 (up from $6 billion in 1970)

Quote:
Simply the most famous fast food chains come from USA, but I guess their food is not better or worse than in other parts of the world. I don't know in Europe, but here in Brazil fast food is very popular if we judge by the amount of restaurants in the large cities, but not in the daily meal.
Wrong again.
It’s a common practice for food companies (everyone from Betty Crocker to Pringles to Quaker Oats) to reformulate their products with safer ingredients overseas, while they continue to sell us inferior products with unhealthy ingredients here in the States.
E.g. McDonald’s serves organic milk with their oatmeal, coffee and tea ( Monsanto milk in the US).
You'll also find healthier items, like pineapple and carrot sticks that you won't find at any McDonald's in the U.S. – also without preservatives. Their fries aren’t cooked in oil that contains TBHQ (a derivative of butane) or the anti-foaming agent dimethylpolysiloxane (found in silly putty) like they are here.
Super sugary "treats" aren't available. There is over 150% more sugar in a pepperoni lovers pizza in the US than in Europe!
At "Pizza Hut" you get free unlimited salad bar full of fresh vegetables. Try to find it here in the States.
That's not all - not only are their ingredients different, but they are serving up completely different ingredients and menu choices.
Many of their menu items contain far less sugar than the versions that they serve us in the U.S.
The portions are smaller. In US all portions are supersized - try to find a 12 oz drink.
I laughed hard when I read that Starbucks is telling news agencies here that they’ve got a "team in place" working on phasing out caramel coloring in the U.S. But, they have already done it in Europe, so why can't they just serve the same, safer, product here?
In Europe there are very few GMO warnings labels on menus, because restaurants know that customers overwhelmingly don't want to eat GMOs. They just won’t stand for inferior and less healthy products.
Even African regions close to famine rejected American food aid because of GMO's. Yes, even African countries suffering from a severe food shortage, said "Thanks but not thanks," to U.S. shipments of GMO food. Bolivia, Guatemala and Nicaragua are also resisting U.S. supplied foods that contain transgenic corn, or maize.
CorpWatch*:*USA: Poor Countries Reject GMO Food Aid

Yes, I fully agree that most Americans don't care about what they eat. They happily will eat crap as long is cheap and the portions are big. They blindly accept what they eat out of a plastic bag or drink out of a plastic bottle. The US has had a MASSIVE propaganda campaign going for decades to push junk food on Americans. Big food industry and chemical company lobbyists basically control what the FDA approves, deems safe for human consumption, and our overall food policy.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:40 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,762,258 times
I don't like fastfood but I don't like cooking either, so I still eat fastfood.
Subway is tasteless, and I never enjoyed it.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:41 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,207,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
In comparison to Eurasia.

Not so much Canada but United States citizens. It puzzles
me how I see Burger King and McDOnalds get so many
customers here and places like Subway get little
customers in comparison here on a typical day. It seems
like even older people here make those kind of choices.

Are people not as health conscious here like they are
elsewhere or what? I can only imagine how these same
people eat at home since what you choose to eat for a
restaurant reflects your home food choices as well.
?? I see more fat people here than here. We would eat more fatty foods than you realise.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:44 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
?? I see more fat people here than here. We would eat more fatty foods than you realise.
Yeah, you're British. The only cuisine you have is American fast food, so go figure. No surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World