Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2014, 06:37 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I was just wondering why you chose Canada. They don't even have freeways connecting their large cities. You have to cross through the US to go from Vancouver to Toronto by car. There is no train services either. Australia is kind of similar except the border crossing.
There is the Trans Canada Highway which is freeway like for most of its length between Vancouver and Toronto. There is also Via rail that link the two cities.But I agree, the highway and rail system here can't hold a candle to what you have in the US.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:39 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
There is the Trans Canada Highway which is freeway like for most of its length between Vancouver and Toronto. But I agree, the highway system here can't hold a candle to the Interstate system in the US.
Its more to do with population than anything else.. B.C isn't that heavily populated so I could see you thinking that for your your neck of the woods.. Driving through Toronto or southern Ontario which is the most densely populated part of Canada or even around the Montreal area and I think that perception would change. As I said, the Windsor, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, QC corridor is aptly connected by freeways.. T.O's freeway system can hang with the best of em in the U.S but again - its more a matter of population/density so overall the U.S is simply much more connected because it is 10 times more populous. Why the heck would we need the 400 series highways in Manitoba, Alberta or B.C for example when the population and densities doesn't warrant it? More people live in the Golden horsehoe for example than B.C and Alberta combined.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-25-2014 at 06:55 PM..

Old 12-25-2014, 06:53 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Its more to do with population than anything else.. B.C isn't that heavily populated so I could see you thinking that.. Driving through Toronto or southern Ontario which is the most densely populated part of Canada or even around the Montreal area and I think that perception would change. As I said, the Windsor, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, QC corridor is aptly connected by freeways.. T.O's freeway system can hang with the best of em in the U.S but again - its more a matter of population/density so overall the U.S is simply much more connected because it is 10 times more populous. Why the heck would we need the 400 series highways in Manitoba, Alberta or B.C for example when the population doesn't warrant it.
Actually there are freeways or freeway like highways in almost all provinces. It just isn't as pervasive as in the US. The difference in the US is that they have interstates in even sparsely populated areas linking major centres in states like Wyoming or South Dakota which both have less than a million people. It's also history because the Interstate system was originally built for the US military before it was transferred to civilian use. The highway system in Canada was never designed solely for that purpose.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Actually there are freeways or freeway like highways in almost all provinces. It just isn't as pervasive as in the US. The difference in the US is that they have interstates in even sparsely populated areas linking major centres in states like Wyoming or South Dakota which both have less than a million people. It's also history because the Interstate system was originally built for the US military before it was transferred to civilian use. The highway system in Canada was never designed solely for that purpose.
Even still - 10 times more people you simply are going to have more connections even through remote parts. You need a multitude of freeways connecting the New Yorks, Boston's, Philly's, with the Chicago's, Cinci's, St Louis' with the Houston's, Dallas', Portand's, L.A's Pheonix's and Seattle's etc etc etc.. If Canada had 300 million people in the manner the U.S does we'd simply need to connect all our heavily populated areas with a more extensive network.. Presumably our military would have been and would be much greater than what exists now.

I'm not denying that the U.S is more connected but it is largely due to population that has heavy nodes quite thoroughly throughout it.. I agree with you though, overall it is simply much more connected and its easier to criss-cross the U.S than Canada but its largely economies of scale more than some better grand design or failure of design on our part.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-25-2014 at 07:12 PM..

Old 12-25-2014, 11:41 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
There is the Trans Canada Highway which is freeway like for most of its length between Vancouver and Toronto. There is also Via rail that link the two cities.But I agree, the highway and rail system here can't hold a candle to what you have in the US.
of course there will be some roads connecting cities, but it can't be better than US or UK and this is why I was wondering why he chose Canada for the best transportation.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:45 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
its more a matter of population/density so overall the U.S is simply much more connected because it is 10 times more populous.
Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota and North Dakota have very small population, but they are still connected by freeways. I am not saying Canada doesn't have freeways, but it's not even close to being the best for transportation out of the 4 countries.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:45 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,456,184 times
Friendliness: I don't know
Lifestyle: I don't know
Weather: Canada (I like cold and snowy winters and dislike hot weather)
Nightlife: I don't know and mostly don't care
Tourist attractions: the USA
Economic diversity: the USA I suppose
Cultural contribution: the UK, the USA is close second
Urban living: I don't know
History: the UK easily
Architecture: can't choose between the UK and the USA
Transportation: I don't know
Education: I don't really know
Natural scenery: the USA, most variety
Cost of living: I don't know
Political stability: Australia, not Canada because of Quebec
The politics: I don't really know
Economical stability: I don't really know
Fun: I don't know

Old 12-26-2014, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota and North Dakota have very small population, but they are still connected by freeways. I am not saying Canada doesn't have freeways, but it's not even close to being the best for transportation out of the 4 countries.
Canada's west and East coasts aren't nearly as populated as the U.S East/West coasts (The most populated parts of Canada are known as 'Central Canada or the old 'upper and lower' Canada constituting the southern portions of Ontario connected to the sountern portions of Quebec) so it stands to reason there is less of a network of highways running east/west transcontinentally as the U.S - our population concentration is practically the opposite focused in the middle of the country not on the bookends. Plus Canada has alot more tundra/arctic than the U.S.. Having said that, you were the one who said that the major cities of Canada weren't connected by freeway or rail and that you have to go through the U.S to access those - patently false.. I didn't argue that Canada had the better network of highways than the U.S or even UK or Australia either btw.. Its probably more similar to Australia in which both countries are large but sparsely populated - the areas that do have the population/density are adequately served by freeways.

Anyway you said what you said in red below.. Not correct!! What made me laugh especially is that by far the two largest cities in Canada Toronto and Montreal are linked by one of the busiest highways in the world lol...As a matter of fact, you say its 'not even close' to having the best of the 4 yet the freeways in the most populated parts of Canada are most similar to the U.S highway network in size like for instance the 401/427 which are the 1st and 3rd busiest highways in N.A.. Kinda funny if you think about it that of the top three busiest highways in Canada/U.S, 2/3 are in Canada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Highway_401
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Highway_427

"I was just wondering why you chose Canada. They don't even have freeways connecting their large cities. You have to cross through the US to go from Vancouver to Toronto by car. There is no train services either. Australia is kind of similar except the border crossing."

Last edited by fusion2; 12-26-2014 at 04:13 AM..

Old 12-26-2014, 05:17 AM

33 posts, read 34,025 times
Seems as though the Transportation category is equally bad in most of the countries in this discussion. There are no high speed trains anywhere which would make a big difference. Having read some follow up comments I am going to change:
Transportation: USA.
Driving in America is great in my experience. Forget trains. The air network in the States is very good too.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonPleb View Post
Seems as though the Transportation category is equally bad in most of the countries in this discussion. There are no high speed trains anywhere which would make a big difference. Having read some follow up comments I am going to change:
Transportation: USA.
Driving in America is great in my experience. Forget trains. The air network in the States is very good too.
Its funny because when I was in the UK i was thrilled with the London Tube and how extensive it was.. Also, really liked the plentiful and cheap flight options not just within the UK but to the rest of Europe.. We in N.A always feel a bit deprived vs Europe in general when it comes to Rail and cheap air travel options. I didn't travel by rail throughout the UK though so I suppose my experience is rather limited.. I couldn't imagine anyone driving in the centre of London though lol.. like just take the Tube

Highways become pretty annoying actually - I drove from Richmond Va to Washington D.C and it was PAINFULLY slow.. Driving in Seattle, Boston, S.F and Toronto - NIGHTMARE and none really better than the other!! The U.S has some great highway connectivity and open roads but when it comes to driving in urban areas they are every bit as painful in my experience as in Canada's big cities - Toronto and Montreal and by and large the vast majority of us in N.A aren't travelling from coast to coast, we travel in overly congested urban areas with painfully long commute times.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-26-2014 at 05:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World