Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 11:54 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Hmm. Maybe a Brit living in the States? I don't think so though. I swore I saw a post saying he/she'd feel alien living in a country other than America. Talks about Pennsylvania a lot, too.

I do agree with you though.

5? 0.5 miles is all that separates us. You've got me scratching my head though on the last bit. lol You referring to the OP...or me?? lol
The OP motown(Detroit). I know Windsor is in Canada I've been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 12:04 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The OP motown(Detroit). I know Windsor is in Canada I've been there.

You've been to Windsor? It was the strip clubs, wasn't it? I know it was. You don't have to answer. lol

Old 06-20-2015, 12:07 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post

You've been to Windsor? It was the strip clubs, wasn't it? I know it was. You don't have to answer. lol
Yeah it was. A bachelor party.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:15 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
I thought so. lol!!

Old 06-20-2015, 12:44 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times
This may have been brought up but I don't feel like going through 8 pages!

The Amish/Menonites being referred to as "Dutch" (as in Pennsylvania Dutch) has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Netherlands. It is a corruption of the word "Deutsch," which means German.

As far as calling thr UK England goes, that is probably often true. But, so what? As someone whose ancestry (much of it anyway) comes from England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales, I usually say UK, Great Britain, or the specific country.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:57 AM

672 posts, read 810,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
Really? Because I looked at their past posts and there was some British word usage. Okay. Still, if the OP is an American, surely growing up in the US the OP would know that not all people are so confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Coming from a small town in Louisiana

Would I find the Delaware Valley a culture shock? How long should I expect to get to know all the town names and major roads? As a person with conservative-leaning beliefs, will I be an "outsider" to the younger folks in the Delaware Valley? What should I know to not seem like an outsider to the natives? Also where should I shop for groceries? And what about for beverages?

Can I expect the natives in any particular spot in the five counties (Phila, Delco, Montgomery, Chester, Bucks) to be able to tell me about the character of any given town in either their county or any of the five others? I ask this because I am leaving Houma which I'm sure is a small world to you guys, but I am hoping to acclimate to the Philly way of life without any big obstacles.
Quote:
As for my job, I am going to be a receptionist at a special needs agency, so I want to speak the same way as the locals (for the most part) and know the five counties well.

People tell me the traditional Caucasian accent of Philadelphia is very similar to the Yat dialect of English spoken in New Orleans. One of my parents is an Italian American Yat, but the other is a Cajun and therefore speaks more traditional Southern dialect. So perhaps I should lean more towards using Yat language (with an ear for learning Philly expressions) while ditching my Cajun side, once I move up here?

Anyway I am looking to find a more cosmopolitan life than I have in Houma, but so far have only stayed at a friend's place in Ambler (friend is now deceased) for five days when I was in Pennsylvania. I am looking for people who have socially conservative values, but I am non-religious. Have been to downtown Ambler, Media, and Philadelphia and was asked out of the blue if I was pro-choice (on abortion) and to sign a petition saying I was! Needless to say I said something to the tune of "no way" every time and continued walking down the street, minding my business.

I absolutely apologize for bringing up a topic from the political debate forums, but needed to post under Philadelphia to get advice about that city and its many surroundings.

Also, I have blurry memories of the supermarkets in and around Philly as generally being relatively small, dirty, and expensive. What chain around here is least like that? And what chain should I stay away from? Also I seem to remember the supermarkets in the area not having alcohol, but never bought alcohol up here unless I was at a restaurant/bar. My deceased roommate once said something about buying alcohol at retail in PA being "a total pain in the *****" but I don't remember why. My spell in Ambler was in 1992 and I was only there to see a golf tournament in NJ. Also I was 23 then and was loving the Southern lifestyle at the time, but in the past year I have started to long for something more exciting.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:38 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
This may have been brought up but I don't feel like going through 8 pages!

The Amish/Menonites being referred to as "Dutch" (as in Pennsylvania Dutch) has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Netherlands. It is a corruption of the word "Deutsch," which means German.

As far as calling thr UK England goes, that is probably often true. But, so what? As someone whose ancestry (much of it anyway) comes from England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales, I usually say UK, Great Britain, or the specific country.
I don't think you realise how offensive it is to someone from say Scotland when an American assumes that they are English. It's like saying Canadians are American!

Very very annoying!!

Old 06-20-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No, not at all. Catholics are Catholics, and they can peg the term to mean all they want, but they are only universal within their own denomination.
Anglicans disagree from experience.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Canada is very progressive. The USA is stuck in the past.
I agree! Very archaic laws there.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:46 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I don't think you realise how offensive it is to someone from say Scotland when an American assumes that they are English. It's like saying Canadians are American!

Very very annoying!!
Most Americans can pick up a Scottish or Irish accent. Welsh is tough and confuses people. There are also a couple of different English accents Americans can generally pick up, like Liverpool(Thanks Beatles)

I can pick out quite a few different English accents and a couple of different Scottish ones, but that's because of how many British friends I have and how often I visit.
Of all the British accents I know the Glaswegian one is the toughest to understand. Geordie is tough and I cannot understand my friends Yorkshire accent when he drinks or talks fast.

How many variations of American accents can you pick out? Can you differentiate say, NY from Boston. Philly from Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World