Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 07:31 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,315,455 times

Advertisements

I have a problem with people who lump all people of any country, race, etc. together and claim they all do the same thing. ALL Americans don't do anything, and I can't help it if you hang out with uneducated people. Keep your prejudice to yourself, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 07:38 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Oh, absolutely. Absolutely! But really, why should we expect better? It's a known fact that government-sponsored education only includes the selective, propagandistic teaching of historical facts.
Got to say this for you...your posts never swerve far from brain dead bull excrement...

Got five grandkids who could all accurately fill in the names on a US states map. I would love to watch lyou try to sort out Utah Idaho Wyoming and Montana...Oh and while you are at it...what is the nearest US city to Eston, Sask?

Old 06-21-2015, 07:41 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
In the grand scheme of things, its not such a big deal. Not everybody is as educated or as smart when it comes to things like this. This would be very low on most people list of things to worry about. You can still function and have a great fun, and meaningful existence without knowing those things.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:07 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,407,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Got to say this for you...your posts never swerve far from brain dead bull excrement...

Got five grandkids who could all accurately fill in the names on a US states map. I would love to watch lyou try to sort out Utah Idaho Wyoming and Montana...Oh and while you are at it...what is the nearest US city to Eston, Sask?
I can't answer your question, but I've been to all these states: Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington DC (not really a state, but I've been), Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Minnesota, South Dakota, and California. And yes, I can fill in all 50 blanks on the map.

And bonus, I've been to Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:55 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Quote:
I can't answer your question, but I've been to all these states: Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington DC (not really a state, but I've been), Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Minnesota, South Dakota, and California. And yes, I can fill in all 50 blanks on the map.

And bonus, I've been to Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta.
And where is Nanaimo? or Williston? Or Pahrump? I know each of those places and what is interesting about them. Are you one of the geographically stupid Americans who don't?

How about Bucerias? or Sierra Vista? I am not looking any of these places up. I know precisely where they are and why you might go there.. How about Canandaigua or Brighton or Montauk or St. Matthews

Your posts indicate many airs with little knowledge.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:42 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,437,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
My friend from Toronto often gets mistaken for being from the upper midwest. Maybe Ohio or Chicago would be a better comparison. He certainly sounds closer to them than to a Texan or a Bostonian
That makes way more sense.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:09 PM

How did it happen that New Orleans has white people whose accent sounds right out of NYC? Other white people down there have a perfectly typical Southern accent...

Old 06-21-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
How did it happen that New Orleans has white people whose accent sounds right out of NYC? Other white people down there have a perfectly typical Southern accent...
Maybe they moved there.........from NYC.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Maybe they moved there.........from NYC.
Nope, spend some time down there and you'll notice it certainly is a local dialect of English, one that somehow must have been divorced from the Southern accent long ago. Trust me, while there certainly are migrants to New Orleans from NYC, there isn't any concentration of New Yorkers (Jews?) down there as one would find in parts of Florida.

I apologize for not clarifying that the people I speak of are NATIVE to New Orleans.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:32 PM

Jews? lol

Can anyone else confirm that if I close my eyes and listen on the streets of Tel Aviv, I'd swear I was in the Bronx?

Quote:
Port cities like New Orleans and New York City (with regard to the surrounding boroughs) have caused the growth of similar dialects as both cities attracted many European immigrants during the 19th century. The result has yielded similar dialects which combine sounds from Irish, German, Italian, and many other immigrants' speech which have blended with the local dialect to create a new variant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yat_dialect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World