Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 07:49 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I don't think you realise how offensive it is to someone from say Scotland when an American assumes that they are English. It's like saying Canadians are American!

Very very annoying!!
The funny thing is though. When it comes to accents, someone from Toronto sounds much like someone from say Minnesota, but you would never mix up a Minnesotan for a Texan. There are a lot of Canadian accents that sound like American ones, which is why people get mixed up.
I would bet a Toronto resident would be less upset at being assumed to be from Minnesota ,than a Texan would be at being mistaken for a Bostonian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 07:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No, not at all. Catholics are Catholics, and they can peg the term to mean all they want, but they are only universal within their own denomination.
"Catholic" MEANS "universal." (Except it's an even cooler term than "universal" - see article link below.) Even many protestant denominations use the phrase, "the holy catholic church" in the Apostle's creed - because they know that they mean "holy UNIVERSAL church" when they use that term.

Christians don't use the term (with a lower case "c") to mean "universal within Roman Catholicism." They are basically talking about the communion of the saints - the whole, universal gathering of Christians throughout time and space. That being said, if you see "Catholic" spelled with an upper case "C" it generally means a branch of the Catholic church (there are several, the largest of course being the Roman Catholic Church).

'Catholic' Doesn't Mean What You Think It Does*|*Daniel P. Horan, OFM

Old 06-20-2015, 10:24 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,406,430 times
I am American but am ashamed of the past of my country. Segregation really bothered me and I am white. Slavery I can forgive but segregation was just plain stupid.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:27 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
I don't think you realise how offensive it is to someone from say Scotland when an American assumes that they are English. It's like saying Canadians are American!

Very very annoying!!
That particular one is virtually impossible to make. The accent is totally different. The only dialect of English for which I had to use a translator. He understood me perfectly. Now differentiation between the two Irish? Lots of luck.

It would also depend on the political views of the Scot.

Canadians are virtually interchangeable with USA citizens and few foreigners are going to be able to discriminate. I have passed as Canadian and am married to one. Only a really good linguist will pick it up.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:29 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,406,430 times
The frontwoman of Vanity 6 was Canadian, but hey Prince (very much loved by Canadians) is Minnesotan...

Old 06-20-2015, 10:35 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times
I'm talking about nationality not accents. I am saying when I say I am from the UK they assume England, they also say UK and mean England

Old 06-20-2015, 10:37 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,900,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
I am American but am ashamed of the past of my country. Segregation really bothered me and I am white. Slavery I can forgive but segregation was just plain stupid.
Both slavery and segregation were wrong. Why are you ashamed of something you didn't participate in? You bear no responsibility for the decisions of those that came before you. The only place I have encountered white people that claim they are ashamed of those things has been on forums. Get over it shame is a waste of time.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:39 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Most Americans can pick up a Scottish or Irish accent. Welsh is tough and confuses people. There are also a couple of different English accents Americans can generally pick up, like Liverpool(Thanks Beatles)

I can pick out quite a few different English accents and a couple of different Scottish ones, but that's because of how many British friends I have and how often I visit.
Of all the British accents I know the Glaswegian one is the toughest to understand. Geordie is tough and I cannot understand my friends Yorkshire accent when he drinks or talks fast.

How many variations of American accents can you pick out? Can you differentiate say, NY from Boston. Philly from Chicago?
Of course they can.

I can pick up: South Carolina, New York city, Chicago, Texas and New Jersey. Also Minnesota.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:55 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Of course they can.

I can pick up: South Carolina, New York city, Chicago, Texas and New Jersey. Also Minnesota.
No one picks up my origin or roots. I speak a version of standard American English and people decide I must be from the Midwest or California. Neither is true. My wife also speaks a dialect that is almost impossible to pin down unless you are a really good linguist. Virtually no European will be able to tell anything except we are Americans...which is only partially true.

I have always marveled at the ability of the English to nail accents to the nearest county or village. But it does not work with American accents.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:02 PM

672 posts, read 811,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Which countries were not touched by slavery and segregation of people based not only on race but class?

Please show me the long list of countries that are far superior and have the moral high-ground on the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World