Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2016, 11:55 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
The worst injury I got was when a fat kid crushed me against the wall and my knee hit it with such force I limped for days. I got my evens with that kid later when he had the ball, I ran up behind him and horse-collared him, damn near turned his head completely around. I would have come close to breaking his neck but he didn't have one. I think the game would have been safer if we got to play it outside but the girls had the field all the time for their archery class. The boy's gym class never got to have archery, I guess the administrators figured we would get bored shooting arrows at a stationary target and start trying to pick off the kids running track 80 yards down field. They might have been right.
I love everything about this post LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 01:33 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Anybody ever play suicide soccer? We played that in gym class in the gymnasium. The object of the game was the same as regular soccer where each team tried to kick the ball past the other team's goalie. The main difference was that you could do anything to stop the guy with the ball, you could kick him, punch him in the stomach, kung fu him or grab hold of him and body slam him onto the hard floor. A number of kids didn't dress out because they were afraid to play. A couple of times I saw an ambulance backed up to the gymnasium doors and I knew they were playing suicide soccer in there. The game was eventually banned.
I wish gym teachers were as creative here We usually just played volleyball, basketball, football/soccer and flying football/soccer (basically football with mattresses) which was really entertaining to be fair as it was as much about not falling down while running as it was about skill

Old 06-01-2016, 05:16 PM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Football is not that popular in Asia either. The World Cup is popular when it's on tv but that's pretty much it. Only Korea, Japan, and some ME countries like Iraq and Iran are slightly better at it, the rest are all at the bottom of that ranking thingy. It's more of an European/Latin American/African sport.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:44 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,526,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Jarryd Hayne a big shot Aussie rugby player/NFL prospect couldn't even last one season in the NFL. He had 3 fumbles in 6 games. He made a fair catch and whined like a soccer player when a Packers wide receiver (one of the smaller guys on a team) barely tapped him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-1MQ0Cnbhs
You're confusing two entirely different sports, Rugby Union and Rugby League. Google Rugby League biggest hits and you will see plenty to rival anything seen in the NFL (agreed you won't see it with Union to the same extent). Hayne was a Rugby League fullback who amazingly made the 49ers as a RB having never played a down of American Football. Kind of amazing I'm sure you would agree. I don't recall any whining from him, in fact I think you are making that up. Trust me, he has worn many many bigger hits in the NRL than anything he ever received in his time in the States.

They are two different games, but his achievement was impressive. It's very hard to imagine the reverse happening. Even from a fitness and conditioning perspective, the prospect of an NFL player going non stop for 80 minutes, playing offence and defence, making up to 50 tackles per game...... Why compare?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=66wK9zAppHc

Here are a few decent ones from the NRL, but the title certainly overstates things. You will see bigger hits than this every weekend in the NRL.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:33 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
My kids all played soccer here in Texas during the 1980s & 90s and liked the sport. Two of them still follow it, and one is a big enough fan to consider the match he attended in Barcelona to be the highlight of his trip to Spain.
One of my grandsons plays in a little league nowadays.

I only watched it when my kids played, and now the grandson. The only sport that interests me is college football (US), and my team in particular - the University of Texas Longhorns. Baseball & basketball make my eyes glaze over like a Krispy Kreme donut.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:37 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,396,454 times
Aussiehoff,

On RL, dangerous tackles are still illegal right? You can't shoulder charge anymore, can't hit above the horizontal, still have to wrap your arms around your opponent. Big hits are possible but not to the degree that AF is capable of.

Hayne was cut halfway into the season because he sucked more than they thought he would and he complained to the ref when he was mic'd up vs the Packers over being touched on a fair catch. Come on this dude was an embarrassment after all the talking rugby fans do about the sport. The way rugby fans act with their ignorance to AF, they should be running circles around AF players and laying them out but it was obviously another story for a rugby league star.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 06-06-2016 at 06:24 PM..

Old 06-07-2016, 03:15 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,526,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Aussiehoff,

On RL, dangerous tackles are still illegal right? You can't shoulder charge anymore, can't hit above the horizontal, still have to wrap your arms around your opponent. Big hits are possible but not to the degree that AF is capable of.

Hayne was cut halfway into the season because he sucked more than they thought he would and he complained to the ref when he was mic'd up vs the Packers over being touched on a fair catch. Come on this dude was an embarrassment after all the talking rugby fans do about the sport. The way rugby fans act with their ignorance to AF, they should be running circles around AF players and laying them out but it was obviously another story for a rugby league star.

Some tackles are illegal, just as they are in the NFL. Shoulder charges now are illegal in the NRL which was a good move. There is nothing tough or skilful about a simple shoulder charge. They still happen, but they will get penalised. The biggest tackles have always been front on blocking tackles based on shoulder contact and leg drive. And yes of course a tackle that puts a player beyond the horizontal is deemed dangerous. The bloke who is now a quadriplegic from the Newcastle knights a couple of seasons ago is a good example of why. It has always been illegal, but unfortunately can still happen when multiple players are tackling one.

Hayne complained because he was touched on a fair catch, Yet you implied it was because he was somehow not tough enough. Questioning a rule interpretation is quite different to your implication I'm sure you will agree. As I mentioned, Hayne copped bigger contact 10 times each week, than he ever did in his entire NFL "career".

I'm sure he doesn't feel embarrassed about making the team after having never played before. Most fair minded people would acknowledged that achievement, especially given he was almost universally given zero chance of making a practice squad let alone playing. Tens of thousands of athletes every year who have played all their life in the States would love to have done what he did. He was a very good RL player, but worth noting he couldn't make the Australian team in his preferred position, mostly he was relegated to the wing.

But good on him for following his dream. As a RL and NFL fan I enjoyed watching him. I saw his second game in Pittsburgh last year when the Steelers demolished him. I must say I didn't expect him to stick to it for too long. Coming from a non stop 80 minute involvement, it was always going to be frustrating spending most of the time watching from the sidelines as he was never going to be a starting RB, and could really on look forward to a couple of minutes work each week at best on special teams.

Go Steelers. I'm counting down until I'm back in Pittsburgh for the home season opener again this year!

Old 06-07-2016, 05:19 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Football is not that popular in Asia either. The World Cup is popular when it's on tv but that's pretty much it. Only Korea, Japan, and some ME countries like Iraq and Iran are slightly better at it, the rest are all at the bottom of that ranking thingy. It's more of an European/Latin American/African sport.
I have often wondered what sports are popular in Asia. It seems to me that you don't spend as much time watching sports as we do. Maybe you spend time watching ping pong, badminton or other little known sports here and for that reason we don't notice it

Old 06-07-2016, 06:08 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,396,454 times
Aussiehoff

Most "dangerous tackles" in rugby are completely legal in AF. A shoulder charge gives off a harder hit than a tackle you have to wrap your arms around. Of course foreigners will downplay the shoulder charge because it's totally legal in AF but not rugby. But if it was legal in rugby, we wouldn't hear the end of it and it would constantly be on any top hits comp. But it's a fact people can verify with their own eyes that shoulder charges give harder hits. There's a reason why so many rugby fans want the shoulder charge back.

Complaining to the ref about being tapped (was he even touched? Lol) on a fair catch is soft as hell, especially in your rookie year when you're supposed to be a testament to RL players. Too bad he couldn't hold onto the ball.

My point is the way rugby fans talk about AF, a rugby star should've had no problem as a RB.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 06-07-2016 at 07:27 AM..

Old 06-07-2016, 11:48 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Rugby fans don't talk about American football here. We're into action, not ad breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World