Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 11:29 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
You kinda missed my point: they were "forgotten" and then proved people wrong. Just like Italy and Spain in the years before.
Oh I see, I apologise, to be honest though nobody ever writes of ze Germans do they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 11:36 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Oh I see, I apologise, to be honest though nobody ever writes of ze Germans do they?
Sure they're the usual suspects like England and co on such competitions but it's always the host or one man teams(like Portugal or Argentina) who get overhyped as the most likely winner.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:47 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Second time I've seen that posted in this thread. Why do you (or anyone else) care if we use Fahrenheit? I don't get it.
The imperial system bother us because it seems something that's outdated and unnecessary compared to the easier and more effective metric one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Yeah, those games tend to be much more exciting. Even one of the commentators is well known in the US for his energetic shouting GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAL! whenever anyone scores. There's a nice, often heated rivalry between Mexico and Argentina too.
Yeah, they are more end to end and more likely to end in a brawl
Crowds are noisier which makes for a better atmosphere, teams more evenly matched, refereeing is abysmal though so it's better to give it a watch as neutral than as a proper fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Doesn't Italy need a few goals to advance? Okay, that's a little joke, I just feel they are super weak with the attack right now. I don't know where they are going to get goals...maybe set pieces.
I'm worried as well. Insigne is a brilliant creative player but he isn't an out and out striker, the players we will have upfront aren't profilic goalscorers either. Eder, i just don't understand his inclusion as he was abysmal from January onwards; Zaza can be a brilliant player but only on his day but most of the time he's only good at creating space for other players or at winning balls (i guess that can set us for counterattacks); Immobile is good mostly when counterattacking, he needs space to run into and shoot; Pelle just hits the bar more often than he does hit the goal, he isn't the most clinical finisher although he's probably better than the rest in front of the goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've always *wanted* to support Italy in FIFA and Euro, but I can't bring myself to do it because I simply HATE the way they play.

It's like anti-football.

It's not the way you'd expect a people like the Italians to play this sport.
We don't play in that way often, with Prandelli we played a good brand of football and that showed mostly at the Euro 2012 and at the Confederation Cup 2013 but we went in crisis in 2014 as the dressing room wasn't united. Conte set us back a bit but our play can still be brilliant, the problem is just that i'm confident of how we'll play without that midfield duo. We'll be left with grittier players

Old 05-31-2016, 11:48 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
You kinda missed my point: they were "forgotten" and then proved people wrong. Just like Italy and Spain in the years before.
Germany were among the favorites in the last WC, though. Germany is, almost always, a serious WC contender, even if they tend to not have the flashiest stars.

Talent-wise, they're probably the deepest team, and they probably have the best GC ever.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:06 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Germany were among the favorites in the last WC, though. Germany is, almost always, a serious WC contender, even if they tend to not have the flashiest stars.

Talent-wise, they're probably the deepest team, and they probably have the best GC ever.
I would argue otherwise, the way i see it it's Spain who's got the deepest team while Neuer isn't the best keeper ever having never shown Buffon's consistency. If he keeps showing this kind of level for more years on end, then he will be capable of rivaling him or overtake hin

Old 05-31-2016, 12:08 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
I'm rooting for France as usual.

Poland and Croatia are probably my second favourites.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:10 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post

We don't play in that way often, with Prandelli we played a good brand of football and that showed mostly at the Euro 2012 and at the Confederation Cup 2013 but we went in crisis in 2014 as the dressing room wasn't united. Conte set us back a bit but our play can still be brilliant, the problem is just that i'm confident of how we'll play without that midfield duo. We'll be left with grittier players
I just find watching the "other" Italian team at the World Cup much more entertaining!

Old 05-31-2016, 12:49 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
The imperial system bother us because it seems something that's outdated and unnecessary compared to the easier and more effective metric one.
But why is this a problem to you in another country?

Old 05-31-2016, 02:37 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,079,302 times
Marek Hamsik and Skrtel both look and play like Sharks. BTW England and Belgium for Euro
and America for Copa Centennario.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:12 PM

231 posts, read 333,195 times
What I'm starting to notice is that soccer crowds in the United States tend to be much younger, especially in MLS, a lot of kids, teenagers and people in their 20s, also appears to be the sport of choice for hipsters in parts of the country as well.

Baseball on the other hand the fan base appears to be getting older.

The demographics are shifting towards soccer, but it will never be number 1 because the media will never allow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World