Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 12:32 AM

977 posts, read 1,011,771 times

Advertisements

So I could totally be wrong but I feel like much of America, Europe, Canada, and Australia are leaning towards a very big government where it becomes hard/illegal to do anything, and very expensive. Instead shouldn't they be trying to stay how they were? I mean they have been pretty sucsesfull as they were, or model after like Hong Kong? If it isn't broken don't fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 01:04 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,504,913 times
More the other way round here. The two biggest employers in Germany back then (post and railway) were both privatised in the 1990s.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
More the other way round here. The two biggest employers in Germany back then (post and railway) were both privatised in the 1990s.
So is my overall assumption wrong, would you say?

Old 08-04-2016, 02:08 AM

322 posts, read 479,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
So I could totally be wrong but I feel like much of America, Europe, Canada, and Australia are leaning towards a very big government where it becomes hard/illegal to do anything, and very expensive. Instead shouldn't they be trying to stay how they were? I mean they have been pretty sucsesfull as they were, or model after like Hong Kong? If it isn't broken don't fix it.
Why do people insist lumping the US with other countries and labeling it as west? The US is quite different from the Rest of the Anglosphere, Let alone compared to Western Europe whose culture shares very little compared to the Anglosphere. If Anything the US has always been a very restrictive nation compared to the rest of the "West".

Old 08-04-2016, 02:16 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,489 times
Other than Americans, no one cares about the concept of "big government". It rarely crosses our minds. The first time I even heard that term was from U.S. media.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:19 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,504,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
So is my overall assumption wrong, would you say?
I'm not informed enough to make a statement about America, Canada and Australia but your assumption is definitely wrong regarding my country and probably Europe in general.
For example, the German labour market reforms in the 2000s were another step in a "capitalistic" direction.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:25 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Other than Americans, no one cares about the concept of "big government". It rarely crosses our minds. The first time I even heard that term was from U.S. media.
Yep.

I am way more apt to trust a "large", relatively non-corrupt government with several branches that serve to address and protect certain aspects of a society over one that is run by individuals who managed to be the most profitable. To me, that situation promotes a selfish environment that will affect everyone else negatively.

Of course, some people seem to reject the idea that you can have a free, democratic, and capitalistic society but with fair safety nets. I don't understand how so many people think it's either that your America or you mine as well be communist. Nothing in between.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:44 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
It's a political topic in Canada too.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:01 AM

I'm somewhat shocked big government wouldn't cross you mind. Here in the states people have got in big trouble for selling lemonade on the streets (usually young kids for money), collecting rain water, parents can't decide what their kids eat at school in their lunch they get from home(no soda etc.), where you needs licenses and permits for EVERYTHING, too much welfare, etc. That's pretty odd you wouldnt care if the government was in all your business.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:45 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,324 times
I'm much more concearned about the influence of large listed corporations than about the influence of the government. The only aim of large listed corporations are higher profits. They will never care about the people. Whereas the government acts much more often in the benefit of the people. Governments make a lot of mistakes, but at least they try to improve the life of the people. Whereas large listed corporations try to exploit the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World