Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 09:10 AM

439 posts, read 521,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Cool. For me personally I think I'm far from that stage...tourist visa would be adequate. I can handle just 3 months at a time. It's too far out into the future to know if we'd have any interest in being there for many years and/or want the kids to be enrolled in school.

But for those who would be interested, here is a blog I found as a result of your comment. (Mixed family moved from Asia to Spain, I almost thought it was you for a second!)

https://www.anepiceducation.com/non-...ain-our-story/

It does seem pretty straightforward from what I can tell. However it isnt super quick...5 years on a visa before you can apply for PR, and then 5 years of residency before you can apply for citizenship.

Interesting, when did this change? I still find a lot of sites explaining the easy process for Panama but they may be outdated (eg this one: Panama Residency and Citizenship | Nomad Capitalist) Looking at the more official consulate and embassy sites it does look to be slightly less accessible than some are saying. Still not too bad though, with options for pensioned tourists, private income retirees who have a lump sum rather than ongoing pension/ss, and people of means who can invest their way for relatively low amounts.
Like I said, there are still certain ways, but the law changed... www.migracion.gob.pa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 05:22 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Uruguay has an official policy of accepting any immigrant who is not a fugitive from justice. In other words, even ex felons, as long as they have served their time. Uruguay is experiencing a serious youth drain to Argentina, and will accept anyone who is willing to live there. However, at last report, the immigration process is rather bogged down in red tape and inefficiency, and the process is not easily navigated.

I loved Uruguay, they are very civilized and erudite people, the country is safe and laid back, but the cost of living is pretty steep by Latin American standards.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:38 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalecriminale View Post
The Republic of Ireland is pretty great in terms of citizenship (though it is quite hard to get a job). A developed country that is English speaking, passport that gives you access to the EU and as well it's ranked high on the Henley Visa Restrictions Index.

But beware of how crap this place can be
Crap in what sense?

Old 07-04-2018, 07:55 PM

570 posts, read 508,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Crap in what sense?
Terrible weather and food, what else can be worse than that?

Old 07-04-2018, 08:18 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalecriminale View Post
The Republic of Ireland is pretty great in terms of citizenship (though it is quite hard to get a job). A developed country that is English speaking, passport that gives you access to the EU and as well it's ranked high on the Henley Visa Restrictions Index.

But beware of how crap this place can be

If one doesn't have any Irish ancestors, is Ireland still an easy country to get long-term residency?

Old 07-04-2018, 11:07 PM

6,038 posts, read 5,950,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
If one doesn't have any Irish ancestors, is Ireland still an easy country to get long-term residency?
Answer no. Ireland does have a rather large Brazilian immigrant population though, so there are means for those able to navigate a steady course enabling such an outcome.

Hardly cheap though, yes the weather may not be everyone's cup of tea. There is certainly a reason that country is so green. The food has much improved although hardly high rating and the medical system is left somewhat wanting.

But for those able to access, it will in time with an Irish passport, allow access to a treasure trove of mainland European countries. Something a British passport will soon in all likelihood be unable to avail.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:08 PM

6,038 posts, read 5,950,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Terrible weather and food, what else can be worse than that?

Can certainly think of a few things worse than weather and ordinary food.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:14 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Also have heard that Mexico, Panama and Costa Rica are quite easy (at least for Americans)
Ecuador, as well.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:02 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Any similar agreements with other countries?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAFT (allows for US entrepreneurs to set up a business very affordably and receive a 2-year residency)

Old 07-05-2018, 03:25 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,309 times
I always wondered how the folks on that show House Hunters that are Americans are able to buy homes in some of the tropical areas. It's not because of the money to buy the homes, but having the right to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World