Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 02:20 AM

8,865 posts, read 8,448,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
It is clear you created this thread to lessen and demean the US. So no mater what defense anyone gives? You will knock it down. It all just sucks. Really though- to use cell phones to lessen the US says it all.

To reply will gain. It still sucks..... why bother then? Yet so many of our used cell phones. End up in Asia. But still it sucks.
He's not the OP.
And your butthurt reaction is pretty laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 05:44 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,489 times
The U.S. hasn't been prosperous since the 90's. I'm surprised it even ranked within the top 10.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:33 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
It is clear you created this thread to lessen and demean the US. So no mater what defense anyone gives? You will knock it down. It all just sucks. Really though- to use cell phones to lessen the US says it all.

To reply will gain. It still sucks..... why bother then? Yet so many of our used cell phones. End up in Asia. But still it sucks.
I didn't create the thread.

As an aside, there are tons of well-known cellphone companies in Asia. The American companies that do create cellphones, almost all the parts come from Asia. So, it would very inaccurate to have an assumption that implies that only the US makes cellphones, and Asia gets the used ones.

This also reminds me of the poor Education and poor Healthcare in the United States as well. The U.S. has a very poor track record of providing either one...at adequate levels.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 03-14-2017 at 07:36 AM..

Old 03-14-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
This also reminds me of the poor Education and poor Healthcare in the United States as well. The U.S. has a very poor track record of providing either one...at adequate levels.
The education in Asia is worse.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The education in Asia is worse.
Depends on the barometer....and Asia is a huge continent.

But, I think anyone who has ever studied in the U.S., you can see which students are in the Library all the time. There are some core values there.

Traditionally, Critical Thinking isn't so good in Asia. On the other hand, looking at U.S. politics, it's a wonder if it even applied at all in the United States.

But if you look at Doctors, and you go to an American hospital, who do you see there...?

Old 03-14-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Depends on the barometer....and Asia is a huge continent.

But, I think anyone who has ever studied in the U.S., you can see which students are in the Library all the time. There are some core values there.

Traditionally, Critical Thinking isn't so good in Asia. On the other hand, looking at U.S. politics, it's a wonder if it even applied at all in the United States.

But if you look at Doctors, and you go to an American hospital, who do you see there...?
I wasn't really referring to critical thinking as much as the fact that Asian students are just miserable for the most part.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:39 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
I live in Macau, and previous to Macau, I was living in Japan and South Korea.

I go back to the U.S. sometimes, but I'm ashamed to tell students of how poor the public transportation is - i.e. non-existent throughout most of the U.S., and most Americans are adamantly against it.

I also remember having tiny little cellphones with tons of features in SOuth Korea in the 1990s,and then going back to the U.S. in the 1990s and people were anti-cellphone at that time, or had a huge monster phone for 'roadside security' issues, or had super crazy cellphone plans that financially exploited the hell of people who did get cellphones back at that time. My plan was like $10 unlimited in Korea, and I went back to live in the U.S. for awhile in the 1990s and had some rip-off Sprint plan that tried to get $300 in a month because potential employers called me, when I was trying so hard to not use it at all, because I knew the u.s. system was so exploitative with things like that. But since it was relatively new in the U.S., they wanted to financially exploit the hell out of anyone who did get a cellphone.

I also remember back in the 1990s when throughout the world, the internet was exploding with internet cafes in every niche and cranny. South Korea already had broadband and was known as a gamer capital of the world, and you couldn't WALK for more than 10 minutes without seeing a half dozen internet cafes all within close proximity. Then I'd go back to the U.S., and people were trying some AOL dial-up or some other crazy thing.....then you'd try to find an internet cafe, and someone referred you to some major city with $5/hour, or sometimes even $5/5 minutes internet cafe with coffee or some crazy stuff. But you'd find only one in all of New York City, and it was at Times Square....and good luck to you, unless you knew the Korean neighborhood in New York City, and could read Korean signs, so you could find the $1/hour at ten times the speed.

Trains. Living in Japan/Korea, I could get on fast-speed trains....the fastest at the world at that time (although I think much of the world outside of the u.s. has built super fast trains as well). But you'd be on some train in Japan or Korea and see something that says 300kmh/hour..and you knew you'd get from A to B faster than some planes (granted the distances are shorter to cross Korea or Japan). But, meanwhile even in 2017, people in the U.S. think that a high-speed train between even NYC and DC is a strange futuristic thought.

Ahmm...too many things to mention. Japan builds buildings without noise...they can construct buildings that don't make noise. Fantastic if you live near that.

Just too many things....when I go back to the U.S., I just feel like people are arguing over stupid things all the time...i.e we can't afford trains....Japan cars are better because (I don't even know why).....

I don't know, I just feel like I'm going back 40 years in time, whenever I go back to the States. It also doesn't help that the U.S. has basically only built more of the obsolete shopping malls and suburban tract malls and housing....I go back to where I grew up, and that's the only new things that I see. Whereas when you live in Asia, you just always see entire cities and neighhorhoods change shapes on a regular basis....from great to really great. U.S. cities seems to go to somewhat acceptable to dilipitated or dangerous.

Anyways, my experiences....as an American who has lived in Japan, Korea, and Macau for over 20 years. I'm sure someone who has never left America will strongly argue against me though.
I'm an American who's always lived in the US and I agree with you quite strongly.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:43 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
I didn't create the thread.

As an aside, there are tons of well-known cellphone companies in Asia. The American companies that do create cellphones, almost all the parts come from Asia. So, it would very inaccurate to have an assumption that implies that only the US makes cellphones, and Asia gets the used ones.

Since I'm butthurt and America should have NO defending. But it isn't the US doesn't have great healthcare. It's those without adequate insurance avoid some care they should be getting. Even some with insurance. I have my insurance from work. My employer pays 2/3 and I pay 1/3 out of my paycheck. I live in central PA all small cities. I have access to a very local hospital, a large Medici Center 15 miles away. Clinics nearby, other cities around have their hospitals, and another large Medical hospital 50 miles away.

My health is fine. I go for visits and pay a deductible. So far that is all I paid for each visit. Now if I needed a surgery? I would be liable for up to 20%. Doctors and nurses work in our Hospitals from all over the world. My Doctor is Indian. Here for a few decades.

My wife though is disabled. She gets totally free healthcare. A few Surgeries and regular visits to the 2 larger Medical Centers is totally paid for by the government. She gets the best as far as I am concerned. It is the fact ALL do not have it free is the issue and difference. NOT the quality of the care and updated hospitals. Even my local Hospital got a TOTAL make-over 5 years ago. With clinics in towns with no hospitals.

Forgive me if I defend the states. No derogatory comments need to be outside the circus of the political forums.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It sounds like a good idea, but I wonder what the fare would be for a high-speed train on the northeast corridor. Already, it's actually cheaper to fly than to take a train in many cases.

Americans like to drive so much, I'm not sure they'd be willing to pay through the roof for a bullet train or the like.
Similar arguments against the proposed high speed train in California. Train tickets are a lot now because Amtrak is slow as molasses and it depends on federal help to stay afloat. If we would get with more current technology, we would have faster trains. The real root of that matter is that this would require doing what we've never done before and "change" and "switch" are two things Americans don't like to do.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
So what? Did Israel say that "we cannot create a nuclear weapon because we are so small", or did Finland say "we cannot make a cell phone revolution because we are so small", or did India say "we cannot be a democracy because we are so big", or did China say "we cannot reform our economy because we are so big"?

No. They didn't. Saying that "the US is too big for that" is nothing but refusal to reform with the worst excuse there is.
Exactly. That argument has never made any sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World