Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 04:32 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,283,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Exactly right...as a European Canada in the end offered no particular appeal....North America for North America I would rather go "all the way" so to speak.....
Unless you married a canadian....but in the end you married an american
and are living happily everafter in the USA, good for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 06:49 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,077,296 times
Australia is undoubtedly an enticing relocation destination for Americans, but Canada does offer proximity to family and friends (and "things American" more broadly) for people for whom that is important.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:51 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,409,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is fair to say outside lower British Columbia, Canada has frigid and unbearably LONG winter (so long that spring often arrives in May).

On the bright side, summer is pleasant and not too hot almost everywhere.
Parts of the US are like that and no, not just near the Canadian border. In Wyoming, the snow often isn't gone until May and it can snow there any month of the year. The weather can change on a dime; warm and pleasant and a few hour later, snow.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:13 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,738,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Parts of the US are like that and no, not just near the Canadian border. In Wyoming, the snow often isn't gone until May and it can snow there any month of the year. The weather can change on a dime; warm and pleasant and a few hour later, snow.
Of course. And this is why Wyoming is the least populous state in the US, with a population (585k) smaller than that of the city of Seattle. The difference is, in the US, if you don't like Wyoming, you can move easily to a warmer region.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:15 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,409,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Of course. And this is why Wyoming is the least populous state in the US, with a population (585k) smaller than that of the city of Seattle. The difference is, in the US, if you don't like Wyoming, you can move easily to a warmer region.
My point is that the type of weather you're talking about isn't a uniquely Canadian thing. I used Wy as one example. Another place that surprisingly cold is New Mexico.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:44 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,738,494 times
Quote:
My point is that the type of weather you're talking about isn't a uniquely Canadian thing. I used Wy as one example. Another place that surprisingly cold is New Mexico.
Nobody said it is a unique thing to Canada. But it is pretty unique when the entire massive country (except a very small part) is all frigid and you have no better alternatives.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:47 AM

14,340 posts, read 11,733,236 times
Quote:
Surely it's not going to take another long discussion to establish what is already well known: that the US has more climate options than Canada, and that most of those are milder than anything Canada offers.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:19 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,835,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
He is from Italy, Sicily I believe.
That explains a lot why saturno cannot accept that Scandinavians are among the happiest and most content with their lives on Earth.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:38 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,339,325 times
Difference is Scandinavia has excellent social services, walkable cities, and tons of culture that Canada lacks. In Canada unless you live in Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver you're essentially living in a colder Nebraska

Old 10-09-2017, 10:49 AM

27,606 posts, read 28,714,640 times
I always tell people that when they visit the U.S. for the first time, they should go to the oldest and most developed part of the country - the east coast. Start with New York City. That's the only way you can make a fair comparison with the best that other countries have to offer.

It makes no sense to compare a place like Paris, France to a place like Oklahoma City. That is not apples to apples, or anywhere close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World