Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 12:47 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,314,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm starting nothing. Your moved 15 years ago. I'll let people make up their own minds about how valid your advice is.

Keep dancing around the issues Nat.....yep things have changed in 15 year...

- Job market for professionals is booming in Van.....

- COL is down and housing is more affordable than ever.....

- The weather is now similar to southern California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 12:50 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,314,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
If I was the only one here that thought your passion to dis Canada and Vancouver was rampant, then I'd give you more room. Except I'm not.

Your record on CD stands.

Exactly....stands for objectivity and reasoning....

You know how many messages I receive commenting about you and the other "Canada is paradise don't you dare to criticize it" brigade?? It is always you and 3-4 others.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:12 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,101,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Difference is Scandinavia has excellent social services, walkable cities, and tons of culture that Canada lacks. In Canada unless you live in Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver you're essentially living in a colder Nebraska
While many parts of Canada can indeed be Nebraska-esque (assuming this is a bad thing) Canada does arguably have as many if not more "good" cities as Scandinavia does.

How many truly awesome cities do you think there are in Scandinavia?

Old 10-09-2017, 02:33 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,344,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You don't seem to know much about the US, do you?

Do you think the American middle class live in the cities? Come on, the vast majority of them already live in the suburbia, and they prefer the suburbia, because unlike Europe or Asia, American city centers are dangerous, lack amenities and do not even have decent schools. NYC/Boston are the rare exceptions, and even for these cities, many suburbs are as expensive as, if not more expensive than the city centers.

The US so many cities, and NYC is probably the only place living in the city center is considered a great thing. Not a lot of people live in downtown Boston, SF as well, not to mention LA, Chicago etc.

If America adds 100M more people, the middle class would still live in the suburbs because most of their downtowns are downrigh scary and mostly unlivable (no grocery stores, no good schools).
That's a big problem tho. Here in the northeast at least, it used to be that the middle class lived in the cities, in places like Brooklyn or Queens. THat is sadly starting to change as the average rents in Brooklyn are starting to push $4K per month for one bedrooms. The middle class urban lifestyle is dying out here

It sucks that the middle class has no options but to live in the suburbs

Old 10-09-2017, 02:35 PM

779 posts, read 597,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
While many parts of Canada can indeed be Nebraska-esque (assuming this is a bad thing) Canada does arguably have as many if not more "good" cities as Scandinavia does.

How many truly awesome cities do you think there are in Scandinavia?
How many are there in Canada? If any...

Old 10-09-2017, 03:07 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,438,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Emigrating isn’t always that easy, OP. You can also opt to move to a part of the US where gun violence is less common. Honolulu?
It's still under the same presidential rule as the mainland,if you get my drift...

Old 10-09-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People keep saying Canada is an alternative, without realizing just how cold it gets there in most places.
BC is probably the most temperate that Canada gets...

Old 10-09-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
As that is your view, then leave. The majority of people in the US do not have this pessimistic view and will stay. We've dealt with adversity for 100's of years and still the high majority stay. We will not be refugees from the US, Period.
It's never ever been this bad...so if you want to end up living like 1930s Germany you're welcome to it.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
After all the places in Asia you pick the only one which is at some risk of terrorism...
I'd be more concerned with getting caned for doing the wrong thing there;

Old 10-09-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Cuba, Venezuela, China, Mexico. My guess is violence has never touched the OP, at least I hope not. Maybe turn off the news, and make the violence go away? Also, if you stay out of ghettos in large, inner cities, you most likely won't encounter any violence. That is where the vast majority occurs. Oh, and stay away from the suicidal.
So in other words stay inside? And are those cities you first mentioned the most violent? As for violence,well aside from becoming mentally affected from being stuck in Philly for years,and aside from some vandalism and near vehicular homicide,the closest violence has come to me is just walking among the dangerous as well as shootings happening nearby...so it's more than just a matter of turning off the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World