Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more urban?
Toronto 45 70.31%
Sydney 19 29.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:02 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times

Advertisements

A rather unfairly laid-out question.

The poll and opening title says "which city is more urban?" and yet the body also reads "walkable and vibrant". These aren't all mutually exclusive. A city can be very urbanized and be hardly walkable nor vibrant, and yet it can also be very walkable but far from urbanized.

Of course more people would vote for Toronto because of its larger urban sprawl. And this isn't a mere opinion. But when it comes to walkability and vibrancy, it's more subjective. And if the question was more about vibrancy, Sydney would've stand a chance and gotten a lot more votes.

Now Toronto is a nice city. But Sydney always had a better vibrancy - Italianate in some areas, whilst Americanized in others. You get the best of both worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 09:02 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Just a general comment that there shouldn't be too much of a link made between climate and the vibrancy of a city.

Toronto's streets are far more vibrant than those in many other warmer cities, especially the larger cities of the U.S. South. Even when Toronto is cold and these cities are "warm".

I know we're talking about Sydney and not Phoenix or Houston, but still... it's not as big a factor as some people might think.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:23 AM

284 posts, read 331,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
And if the question was more about vibrancy, Sydney would've stand a chance and gotten a lot more votes.
But then there's a lot more Canadian forumers here than Aussies. I for one didn't vote... trying not to be partial towards any city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Just a general comment that there shouldn't be too much of a link made between climate and the vibrancy of a city.
That's true. There are some very urban colder weather cities (New York if their winter counts?), but then there's also the cities which are ""outdoorsy due to its climate and beautiful location"" and with warmer weather, like Hong Kong or Rio, which are very urban as well. It's the built form of the city that counts the most.

Last edited by ciTydude123; 11-08-2017 at 09:56 AM..

Old 11-08-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciTydude123 View Post
But then there's a lot more Canadian forumers here than Aussies. I for one didn't vote... trying not to be partial towards any city.
Are there really more Canadians? Seems about even.

I didn't vote either BTW.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:50 AM

284 posts, read 331,144 times
That's just the impression I get comparing the activity of the Australian and North American forums here. I might be wrong though.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
That's true. There are some very urban colder weather cities (New York if their winter counts?),.

I've been to NYC in the winter. Their winters aren't like ours but they definitely *count*.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:10 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Perhaps. Because, unsurprisingly, when Australian cities are pitted against North American and European cities, they usually lose by a long margin. It's really pathetic. So, when the occasion calls for it, I have to objectively vote for Australian cities just in the name of fairness and to make the polls look more "even". I mean, this poll battle makes it seem like Sydney is some sort of a developing, third world city battling a first rate, far superior city, with those lopsided votes.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:17 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
Never been to Sydney but downtown Toronto is pretty dense and urban for this european. The downtown is actually pretty nice and is a good mix and quite walkable. Of course once you start going further things start being quite far and take a long time. They could have more metro lanes for sure.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Perhaps. Because, unsurprisingly, when Australian cities are pitted against North American and European cities, they usually lose by a long margin. It's really pathetic. So, when the occasion calls for it, I have to objectively vote for Australian cities just in the name of fairness and to make the polls look more "even". I mean, this poll battle makes it seem like Sydney is some sort of a developing, third world city battling a first rate, far superior city, with those lopsided votes.
Really? Perhaps you should go back and read the entire thread.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:27 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Toronto's streets are far more vibrant than those in many other warmer cities, especially the larger cities of the U.S. South. Even when Toronto is cold and these cities are "warm".
I think that's a fair statement.

Especially for northern cities like Montreal and Toronto - winter is a fact of life and most people understand the fact that they have to embrace winter and cold weather whether they like it or not.

It is -14 Celsius today in Toronto with wind chills, and I have not seen any reduction in terms of pedestrian activity in and around downtown. Put on a Canada Goose jacket, keep calm and carry on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World