Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 02:42 PM

27,562 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
No I have not been to Manhattan, would love to go some day. All I am saying is London is close to some great cities also.

I would actually prefer to go to Seattle and San Fran though if I am honest.
There are many fine cities in the United States that are definitely worth checking out. Still, none of them are in the same league as New York City. It really is America's "answer" to the grand cities of Europe such as London and Paris. Pictures and descriptions can't do it justice. It is like the last word.

That's why I always encourage people to visit there first. You'll have a much better perspective of every other place. See the best, then you'll understand the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 02:43 PM

277 posts, read 401,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There are many fine cities in the United States that are definitely worth checking out. Still, none of them are in the same league as New York City. It really is America's "answer" to the grand cities of Europe such as London and Paris. Pictures and descriptions can't do it justice.

That's why I always encourage people to visit there first. You'll have a much better perspective of every other place. See the best, then you'll understand the rest.
When were you last in Paris, or London for that matter?

Old 06-01-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigoriachel View Post
When were you last in Paris, or London for that matter?
Paris in March 2010. London in November 2006.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:26 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Paris in March 2010. London in November 2006.
Much as I like NYC it is not as impressive as Paris or indeed London, in fact it hides behind a skyline that only really looks good from a distance and lit up at night. At street level London and Paris are far more impressive cities and a lot cleaner, whilst in terms of skyscrapers London and Paris now both have substantial tall buildings, skyscraper zones and centres of economic diversity, and both also have a good deal of cultural diversity like New York. So to some how suggest that NYC is the last word in cities is clearly at best ludicrous and at worst laughable.

In terms of Paris it doesn't do enough to promote itself as a big city, it is in fact a city equal in population to London and NYC and has superb direct rail links to the beautiful South of France, the Ski Resorts of the Alps and most major European capital cities including London. Whilst in terms of London it's a very powerful city in terms of commerce and like Paris it is an influential political hub, and also like Paris it is directly connected to Europe via the European Rail Network.

In terms of the most powerful city in the world, there is no one city in my view, and I certainly don't believe NYC is the dominant city in terms of the entire globe, indeed the world is increasingly moving away from the old super power model towards new emerging powers, including powers that have in the past seen London as the mother city or have had an historic trading relationship with London before the US was even a country, and the same applies to Paris. Whilst the emergence of new political, economic and military unions has also changed the dynamics of world power and will continue to do so.

Last edited by Bamford; 06-02-2014 at 04:47 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 04:59 AM

872 posts, read 1,385,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Much as I like NYC it is not as impressive as Paris or indeed London, in fact it hides behind a skyline that only really looks good from a distance and lit up at night. At street level London and Paris are far more impressive cities and a lot cleaner, whilst in terms of skyscrapers London and Paris now both have substantial tall buildings, skyscraper zones and centres of economic diversity, and both also have a good deal of cultural diversity like New York. So to some how suggest that NYC is the last word in cities is clearly at best ludicrous and at worst laughable.

In terms of Paris it doesn't do enough to promote itself as a big city, it is in fact a city equal in population to London and NYC and has superb direct rail links to the beautiful South of France, the Ski Resorts of the Alps and most major European capital cities including London. Whilst in terms of London it's a very powerful city in terms of commerce and like Paris it is an influential political hub, and also like Paris it is directly connected to Europe via the European Rail Network.

In terms of the most powerful city in the world, there is no one city in my view, and I certainly don't believe NYC is the dominant city in terms of the entire globe, indeed the world is increasingly moving away from the old super power model towards new emerging powers, including powers that have in the past seen London as the mother city or have had an historic trading relationship with London before the US was even a country, and the same applies to Paris. Whilst the emergence of new political, economic and military unions has also changed the dynamics of world power and will continue to do so.
I would give London a year or two for One Blackfriars, the Razor and the Pinnacle to approach completion before showcasing its skyline, because what we have right now is a bit of a mess. By then, hopefully, the Vauxhall cluster should be getting going too.

How is London's skyline going to change? An interactive guide | Cities | theguardian.com

Old 06-02-2014, 05:30 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
I would give London a year or two for One Blackfriars, the Razor and the Pinnacle to approach completion before showcasing its skyline, because what we have right now is a bit of a mess. By then, hopefully, the Vauxhall cluster should be getting going too.

London is building skyscrapers in away from much of it's historic tourist areas, and many cities across the globe today have quite impressive skyscrapers and skylines. The days when skyscrapers were the preserve of a few cities such as NYC and Chicago are long gone as has some of the wow factor, and at ground level in NYC you barely notice the skyscrapers beyond the occasional lack of sunlight and occasionally the gusts of wind they cause. That's not to say I don't think NYC and indeed Chicago are both wonderful cities in their own right.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
I meant the last word for cities in the U.S., not in terms of cities in the whole world. I guess I wasn't clear in my post.

If you're going to compare the top megacities in the world with anything in the U.S., then it has to be New York City - is my point.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:57 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:

Right, but London is the city whose influence has decreased the most under this^ scenario.

New York is far less reliant on relationships with other parts of the world to justify it's prominence.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:17 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Much as I like NYC it is not as impressive as Paris or indeed London, in fact it hides behind a skyline that only really looks good from a distance and lit up at night. At street level London and Paris are far more impressive cities and a lot cleaner, whilst in terms of skyscrapers London and Paris now both have substantial tall buildings, skyscraper zones and centres of economic diversity, and both also have a good deal of cultural diversity like New York.
NYC at street level.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:23 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
^Aw it looks real nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World