Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 06:24 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Right, but London is the city whose influence has decreased the most under this^ scenario.

New York is far less reliant on relationships with other parts of the world to justify it's prominence.
London's influence hasn't decreased, in fact over the last few decades London has secured it's place as a global financial and trading centre, and it's power and influence if anything have increased. London is even encouraging new trading links with China and has set aside the Royal Docks for Chinese companies, and the same applies to India and other parts of the world, whilst multinational banks and companies have major headquarters across the city. Even London's maritime status is being revitalised with the new £1.5 Billion London Gateway deep water port and docks, which has only just recently opened.

The fact that NYC is far more reliant on the US rather than being a more global city reduces it's own global influence if anything. Whilst London has always relied on global trade from days of Empire right through to the present day.

Last edited by Bamford; 06-02-2014 at 06:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
NYC at street level.
What are the pics supposed to prove, the truth being that London and Paris have some amazing architecture and are in no way out done by NYC.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:51 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
London's influence hasn't decreased, in fact over the last few decades London has secured it's place as a global financial and trading centre, and it's power and influence if anything have increased.
This is doublespeak. First you say London's power is being diluted and spread out especially in the developing world and London is no longer the 'mother'(pretentious much?) but here you say actually London has increased in stature? Basically you're saying 1+1=3

LOL Um no. You cant have it both ways.

Quote:

The fact that NYC is far more reliant on the US rather than being a more global city reduces it's influence of anything.
Yeah this is where you are confused. It would appear that you are mistaking being a 'global city' with being the 'most powerful city'.

Being a global city simply means that a city has connections to other parts of the world, speaking of which New York has 6 million foreign born residents, by far the largest city-level statistical area concentration of foreign born persons in the world.

Which is even more impressive considering how removed New York is from other countries and yet foreigners converge in New York like nowhere else in the world.

Los Angeles is second btw with 5.5 million foreigners.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
This is doublespeak. First you say London's power is being diluted and spread out especially in the developing world and London is no longer the 'mother'(pretentious much?) but here you say actually London has increased in stature? Basically you're saying 1+1=3
I never said London's power was being diluted

Quote:
Yeah this is where you are confused. It would appear that you are mistaking being a 'global city' with being the 'most powerful city'.
London is both a global city and a powerful city. It's a hub for global economic trade, an education and knowledge hub and a capital city and seat of Government. So it's both a global city and a influential and indeed powerful city.

Quote:
Being a global city simply means that a city has connections to other parts of the world, speaking of which New York has 6 million foreign born residents, by far the largest city-level statistical area concentration of foreign born persons in the world.

Which is even more impressive considering how removed New York is from other countries and yet foreigners converge in New York like nowhere else in the world.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:

I am also not being pretentious in calling London the 'Mother City of Empire' as that is what it was known as.

Tristram Hunt: The new forces shaping the first city of Empire - Comment - Comment - London Evening Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair
London is both a global city and a powerful city. It's a hub for global economic trade, an education and knowledge hub as well as a capital city and seat of Government. So it's both a global city and an influential political city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair

I think you will find 3 million of NYC's 8.3 million population are foreign born and not 6 million.

More Foreign-Born Immigrants Live In NYC Than There Are People In Chicago

And guess what 37% of Londoners are foreign born, which also equates to around 3 million, and I have little doubt that the same can be said as Paris.

Ethnic groups in London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Bamford; 06-02-2014 at 07:29 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Oh my bad, right. What you said is that London's power is decreasing:
indeed the world is increasingly moving away from the old super power model towards new emerging powers, including powers that have in the past seen London as the mother city

And I agree 100%.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Oh my bad, right. What you said is that London's power is decreasing:
indeed the world is increasingly moving away from the old super power model towards new emerging powers, including powers that have in the past seen London as the mother city.

And I agree 100%.
Where did I say that this diminished London's power, the UK is not a super power but has close relations with India and even China forged over the centuries. It may well be to London's advantage that these new powers are emerging and it certainly doesn't diminish London as a political or economic entity.

London is still the best bet|Spotlight|chinadaily.com.cn

China’s Biggest Bank Gains Entree Into Trading in London

It should also be noted that the Chinese has a distrust of the US and this benefits other nations, whilst India and the UK have a historically close relationship.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
What are the pics supposed to prove, the truth being that London and Paris have some amazing architecture and are in no way out done by NYC.
Where did I say they were meant to prove anything?

Um, I guess they are supposed to prove I've taken good photos, that's a big reason I post my photos. And that NYC has some nice street level scenes, too regardless of whether it's #1 or not.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Where did I say that this diminished London's power, the UK is not a super power but has close relations with India and even China forged over the centuries. It may well be to London's advantage that these new powers are emerging and it certainly doesn't diminish London as a political or economic entity.

London is still the best bet|Spotlight|chinadaily.com.cn
LOL

This is entertaining.

So if the world is 'increasingly' looking elsewhere, London therefore is 'decreasing'--that's essentially what you said but now are trying to back track.
indeed the world is increasingly moving away from the old super power model towards new emerging powers, including powers that have in the past seen London as the mother city

Let me edit this:
indeed the world is increasingly moving away from... London as the mother city

This is totally true^ by the way.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Where did I say they were meant to prove anything?

Um, I guess they are supposed to prove I've taken good photos, that's a big reason I post my photos. And that NYC has some nice street level scenes, too regardless of whether it's #1 or not.
I am sure NYC does have some nice streets but is it really the last word as one forum member described it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World