Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is a better city: Sydney. Australia or San Jose, California?
San Jose 3 8.33%
Sydney 33 91.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 12:27 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I think your numbers are bit off and inflating San Jose's size and importance.

San Francisco Metro Area (MSA): 4,727,357
San Jose Metro Area (MSA): 1,998,463
Bay Area (CSA): 8,837,789
I'm including the whole Bay Area and then Santa Clara county, which San Jose is the seat. Santa Clara county is nearly 2 million. The city proper is just over 1,000,000. The whole region metro is over 7 million. No exaggeration here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 01:25 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,862,296 times
Brisbane beats Sydney by a long shot - better weather, transport, cost of living and housing, public gardens, great airports; don't know about San Jose.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:47 AM

570 posts, read 508,691 times
No offense, but SF made me feel a bit uneasy with so many homeless people. I did like SF a lot but Sydney is way betteeeer. Better climate, public transport, cleaner, better beaches, better infrastructure. SAN JOSE LOL WHAT?! SYDNEY IS ON ANOTHER LEVEL. COME ON!

Old 04-10-2018, 01:50 AM

570 posts, read 508,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAussie View Post
Brisbane beats Sydney by a long shot - better weather, transport, cost of living and housing, public gardens, great airports; don't know about San Jose.
How come a country town can beat a global city? Sydney has better weather, public transport, universities and there are better jobs and opportunities. Sydney airport has better destinations.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:12 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
My Take

1. Economy: San Jose-Capital of Silicon Valley, high tech capital of the world
2. Diversity: San Jose-Very diverse with all the distinct neighborhood district like Japantown, Little Portugal and Little Saigon
3. Transportation: San Jose-42 miles of light rail track and Bart offering service to rest of the Bay very soon. Sydney-8 miles of light rail
4. Weather: San Jose-similar temps but no rain in the summer, unlike Sydney, which it does rain
5. Shopping: San Jose-Valley Fair, Stanford, Eastridge, Santana Row and Great Mall
6. Downtown: Tie or very subjective- Sydney is bigger but San Jose is better-more human scale and very friendly for pedestrian
7. Modern Airport: San Jose
8. Population: San Jose- San Jose city proper-1 million and Sydney city proper-208,000
9. Natural Scenery: Sydney

That makes San Jose a better city!!!!?

Note* Sydney's 5,000,000 is the total metro pop. of Sydney. San Jose would be over 7 million if included the whole metro(Bay Area) nearly 2 million is just Santa Clara county alone

Last edited by the topper; 04-10-2018 at 02:29 AM..

Old 04-10-2018, 02:36 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
What about the 500 miles of standard rail as well as 147 train stations in Sydney? Don't they count? As well as the fact that all the numerous buses, ferries and train and light rail are accessed with a single card?

Old 04-10-2018, 02:46 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
I can’t speak to all those things you mention about Brisbane.. but I think many would say Sydney’s year round temps are generally closer to the ideal than Nrisbane as it appears to be excessively hot a significant portion of the year. And Sydney has its significantly sized, free Royal Botanic Gardens abutting Downtown. A greater percentage of Sydneysiders were foreign born than is true of NYC. That’s not a sole factor, and San Jose is diverse too, but it is a significant one.

I don’t think there’s any reality where you won’t believe SJ tops Sydney based on your analysis of the different criteria there lol. You have to provide some degree of Statistical comparison on why SJ would Top Sydney in some of those areas (Shopping, Transit, not just light rail which you must admit is cherry picked, etc.)

That being said, I love that you love your cityZ I enjoyed it quite a bit too.

Edit: I was wondering where the 200K number was coming from... so I Googled and found this : )
The advent of the Sydney Gold Rush in the 1850s saw the population rocket upwards, and by 1871 the population of Sydney was around 200,000

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 04-10-2018 at 03:16 AM..

Old 04-10-2018, 03:09 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
As for the other posters question about what to check out in SJ? I have a few ideas. I never personally went to Tech Museum or Winchester House but I’m
Sure they are distinctive/interesting. If Tech Museum is of interest you may be like me and also have interest in visiting HQs of several companies or the museum right near Googles campus north of town.

San Pedro Square Market Area I can definitely recommend. In addition, the Guadalupe River Trail and Rose Garden that is a part of it I think. The cool
Thing is that in about 10 miles or so if pedaling you can get yourself from the Bay up into the mountains.

It is also the sporting hub of the Bay Area right now IMO.

There is some interesting shopping on Paseo de San Antonio including a Japanese store I don’t remember the name of. That street connects SJ State to a main downtown plaza, Cesar Chavez I think.

If you like architecture, modern or historic in nature, SJ City Hall May be of interest, cool
Interior and. A nice public library nearby. Then just outside of town (I ran there one morning), is the campus/Gardens, and a beautiful (try to get inside) mission of Santa Clara de Asis (one of the oldest European buildings in the Western US). So, there are certainly options but my favorite part is generally the feel of that area, more so than attractions. Just had a very clean/inviting feel, which in some ways is even a change of pace from parts of SF. Downtown Mountain View is worth checking out, too, and there’s a rampant diversity of great food surrounding town (esp. Koreatown, suburban in nature as it is). I kind of mapped out a walking loop when my wife and I were going around the city for the day, it was 3 or so miles I think. Very nice day.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:56 AM

284 posts, read 331,144 times
An entire metro vs an area within a metro? A better comparison for San Jose might be Parramatta

The Western Sydney region might be a better fit for Santa Clara county, but there's nothing really like Silicon Valley there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Note* Sydney's 5,000,000 is the total metro pop. of Sydney. San Jose would be over 7 million if included the whole metro(Bay Area) nearly 2 million is just Santa Clara county alone
If you're talking about the Bay Area this thread might as well be about San Francisco, since SF's the anchor city. Either way the Bay Area's borders are huge and especially if you're talking about the CSA that's like several cities stacked with each other. In Sydney's terms that would include the Greater Newcastle and the Illawarra (Wollongong) regions, which would bring the pop figure up to about 6 million. At this scale we're talking more about a region than a single metro.

Downtown San Jose might be more comparable to a suburban hub in Sydney, like for example:

But there's dozens of these around Sydney's metro.

The Bay area vs Sydney metro otoh, would be a much tougher contest.

Last edited by ciTydude123; 04-10-2018 at 04:37 AM..

Old 04-10-2018, 04:52 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
How come a country town can beat a global city? Sydney has better weather, public transport, universities and there are better jobs and opportunities. Sydney airport has better destinations.
Easily if you don't want to live in a Global city that is for sure.

The UQ is actually one of the best in universities in Australia, sometimes it beats the university of Sydney and NSW in various global university ranking listings. Though for the most part they all operate to a very similar standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World