Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best vacation spot
Lima Peru 6 19.35%
Dublin/Cork Ireland 7 22.58%
Palermo/Catania Italy (Sicily) 1 3.23%
Lisbon Portugal 10 32.26%
Tel Aviv/Jerusalem Israel 2 6.45%
Buenos Aires Argentina 4 12.90%
Munich Germany 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 03:25 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Got you. But let's cut out the hyperbole and approach this from a logical perspective.

1. Did you read the whole article?
How about the part where it says "The U.S. State Department also has recognized that many "homicides appeared to be targeted, criminal organization assassinations."
Now this is a significant statement because government advisories urge on the extreme side of caution for fear of reprisal. The hyperbole media and at least 64% of the US population who don't hold passports will come down on the US State department like flies on fecal matter if even one US citizen was injured, which brings me onto my next point.

2. In the whole article was one of the victims a tourist? Out of the 9 million people was 1 tourist implicated, which means 25,000 foreign nationals on any given day. No they weren't.

3. The article says an incident occurred quote & quote "about 25 minutes from the beach". So what is that exactly? somewhere on the outskirts of downtown far away from the beach area. Sutherland Springs is just over a half hour from Alamo Heights, will that stop you visiting San Antonio? Hoboken is near Newark, will that stop you from going to Hoboken. No.

A little bit of logic goes a long way but if it makes you feel more comfortable then Lisbon is a great choice too. Sicily has borne the brunt of a lot of illegal migration from Africa so although its lovely there is a tension and unsavoury feeling in the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
it seems like one would have to travel several hours in those places to get between microclimates/environments like that. MC it almost seemed like it blended into one another. And even if not, maybe 15 minutes drive and you felt like you had jumped continents.
It's blatantly obvious you haven't been to Colombia. Mexico is marvellous but you're overstating its diversity especially when comparing to real divergences in ecosystems and altitudes.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:36 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
It's blatantly obvious you haven't been to Colombia. Mexico is marvellous but you're overstating its diversity especially when comparing to real divergences in ecosystems and altitudes.
I'm not denying that Bogota and Colombia as a whole isn't amazing. Amazing pictures in the other thread BTW. Thanks to the immediacy of the mountains to Bogota, it may be one of the few major cities in the world that could top Mexico City regarding natural surroundings.

That being said, the scenery that is there is nothing short of outstanding. I posted a few pictures that display some of the mixture of plant life you find really around the city core. I also think the fact that is actually placed on a lake is mind boggling.. if part of that was still there, woah would it be a stunner (it still is, though). Also, the seismological activity present there is fascinating to me as well. The picture I posted of Chapultepec doesn't come close to doing it justice or capturing it's full size, btw.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vo...!4d-99.2588889

Posted here is a picture of Volcan Ajusco, about 15 miles or so from where these other pictures were taken. It appears Popo was erupting in the background when this shot was taken. Mexico City has 14,606 feet of topographical variation within 50 miles. Compared to Salt Lake City, a city with undeniably impressive mountain scenery, which has 7,457 within that range. In fact, Mexico City ranks 2nd in the world for the amount of variance within 50 miles among GaWC cities (surpassed only by Santiago). Incidentally, Bogota is 3rd, though it is 1st within the immediate range of a few miles. That said, the combination of the vegetation and topography, and it would be difficult to convince me that Mexico City doesn't make a DAMN strong case to be among the Top 10 in terms of the natural beauty it has surrounding it, regarding Top 100 or so cities of significance. : ) I do plan to visit Bogota though, and I'm sure I will be blown away there too!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Iz...2!4d-98.642728

The view from up high on Iztaccihuatl. One could actually pay 50$ or so to have a guide take them up to at least 15-16K feet for the day. A tour that leaves the city at 8 and arrives back in the city by 6. Not uncommon to see a volcano erupting from across the way. Roughly 35 miles from the Zocalo.
Attached Thumbnails
Which of these areas is best to visit to visit for young Americans on a budget-mc_1.jpg   Which of these areas is best to visit to visit for young Americans on a budget-mc_2.jpg   Which of these areas is best to visit to visit for young Americans on a budget-mc_3.jpg   Which of these areas is best to visit to visit for young Americans on a budget-mc_4.jpg   Which of these areas is best to visit to visit for young Americans on a budget-mc_5.jpg  

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 04-28-2018 at 07:59 AM..

Old 04-28-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Mexico city is also a place where a significant number of homes do not have running water, working sewers, where drinkable tap water is still a dream, and unpaved streets aren't so rare. That GDP thing really means MC is large, wealth is a different story.
I'm not denying it has problems. Major ones. As we went out to Teotihuacan on one of our days there, we passed several rolling hillsides with favelas that were perhaps Rio style visible from the highway. Many lower income populations from around the country have been flooding the outskirts of the city, seeking better opportunity. But, with that said, people know that part. What they wouldn't expect is that generally speaking, walking around the areas tourists are likely to actually visit around city, they generally won't feel like they are in a third world country, in any sense of the word. This is a not insignificant stretch. There is a not insignificantly sized middle class in MC that does not deal with any of the issues you mention, and safety isn't generally a regular concern for them, apart from perhaps if they venture into problematic areas on the outskirts, which is true in most cities. Also, while some of those claims may be true, they A) apply to newly developed, rapidly overbuilt areas on the outskirts, and B) are not completely any type of norm. FWIW, Buenos Aires and Lima, and even some of these other cities have issues like this with their outskirts, too, perhaps more significantly so even.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:34 PM

So I’m curious... apart from possible domestic concerns, for those that said Lisbon over Tel Aviv, why?

I suppose Lisbon does have a good bit of charm, with historic neighborhoods and architecture complimented with steep streets and view lines, plus charm of Sinatra and gorgeous coastline not far at hand, so it is a relatively dynamic place... but, Tel Aviv would seem to have:

-Warmer/More Swimmable Beaches, Closer (like, on them more than any city center I can think of almost.
-Arguably Cleaner/Safer
-A Generally More Dynamic Economy/Atmosphere Right Now, Mash Up of Personalities Within City as theres Jaffa, the world’s oldest port, too.
-Distinctive surrounding scenery, more mountainous areas, closer, unique features
-The epic level of history and Jerusalem, as well as smaller surrounding communities.
-I believe a significant portion of populace is English speaking

Old 04-30-2018, 11:11 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Quote:
So I’m curious... apart from possible domestic concerns, for those that said Lisbon over Tel Aviv, why?

I suppose Lisbon does have a good bit of charm, with historic neighborhoods and architecture complimented with steep streets and view lines, plus charm of Sinatra and gorgeous coastline not far at hand, so it is a relatively dynamic place... but, Tel Aviv would seem to have:

-Warmer/More Swimmable Beaches, Closer (like, on them more than any city center I can think of almost.
-Arguably Cleaner/Safer
-A Generally More Dynamic Economy/Atmosphere Right Now, Mash Up of Personalities Within City as theres Jaffa, the world’s oldest port, too.
-Distinctive surrounding scenery, more mountainous areas, closer, unique features
-The epic level of history and Jerusalem, as well as smaller surrounding communities.
True. But I have been doing some research on Israel. Turns out it's more expensive than I initially thought Guess i shouldn't be surprise since it's the richest country in the region.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
True. But I have been doing some research on Israel. Turns out it's more expensive than I initially thought Guess i shouldn't be surprise since it's the richest country in the region.
As someone whose just come back from there I can tell you that on the whole it's more expensive than France. That tells you a lot.

If you budget appropriately you can still make it work though. It packs a punch for such a small country. One trick I used was flying into ovda airport from Romania, Poland or germany. That way you get to see Petra in Jordan & the red sea too.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Mexico City has 14,606 feet of topographical variation within 50 miles. Compared to Salt Lake City, a city with undeniably impressive mountain scenery, which has 7,457 within that range. In fact, Mexico City ranks 2nd in the world for the amount of variance within 50 miles among GaWC cities (surpassed only by Santiago). Incidentally, Bogota is 3rd, though it is 1st within the immediate range of a few miles.
Lol. I just properly read this in detail. You're nerdier than I am lol.

Yes these four cities are very impressive topographically, the best thing is these are world class cities and you have all that nature around you.

If you really want to be blown away though you need to go to Santa Marta, Colombia's 10th largest city & the oldest surviving European settlement in South America. Santa Marta is about the size of the Scottish capital Edinburgh and only 1½ hours drive from Barranquilla airport which has direct connections to Florida. It has the highest coastal mountains in the world and you have tropical rainforest beaches and snow capped mountains within a 25 mile radius, not to mention a desert by the Caribbean sea in the state next door called La Guajira desert. The Amerindian people in the mountains are practically untouched by outside civilisation & rightly call their home the cradle of life and do seminars/conferences across the world on natural preservation.

Santa Marta city is split over three bays...

Santa Marta by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Santa Marta noche by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Rodadero aire by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Rainforest beaches...

Tayrona by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Playa Cristal by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Tayrona Amerindian civilisations (Chibcha peoples) & Teyuna, the Lost City...

Nabusimake 2 by enorbitaweb, on Flickr

teyuna by Daniel Marasco, on Flickr

Sierra Nevada Santa Marta...

Santa Marta 18863110972_8875a12039_b by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Sierra Nevada-1 by Juan Diego Castillo Ramírez, on Flickr

Santa Marta captura-de-pantalla-2015-08-26-a-las-11.59.27 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Santa Marta 258_1r20100621_20100621_colombia_srranvda_08_0034 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

DM8353 by David Medina, on Flickr

DM8357 by David Medina, on Flickr

The Guajira desert & the Wayuu nation - (aka: 'people of the desert'), Arawak peoples never colonised by Spain...

Guajira Sebaxtian google earthi by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Posesión de maestros wayuu- 16 de marzo de 2017
by Ministerio de Educación Nacional, on Flickr

Panorama_CABO DE LA VELA by Oscar Perfer, on Flickr

^^
All that in the eastern corner of the Caribbean region of Colombia...

Barranquilla Santa Marta by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Sierra Nevada Santa Marta map by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Old 05-04-2018, 04:28 PM

630 posts, read 525,947 times
Quote:

-Arguably Cleaner/Safer
Warmer/More Swimmable Beaches Israel gets very hot, it's surrounded by deserts. Assuming you go there in the summer you might suffer.

Arguably Cleaner/Safer Portugal is one the safest countries in the world, while Israel is in semi conflict with its neighbors. Actually, a great deal of people hates Israel's guts so I'm not too sure how that can it safe.

A Generally More Dynamic Economy/Atmosphere Right Now mostly thanks to shaddy fly-by-night off-shore companies owned by diaspora jews.

Distinctive surrounding scenery, so is everywhere else, don't you think?
The epic level of history and Jerusalem if you're into that kind of "history"

To be honest, I have yet to meet someone having visited Israel who wasn't of Jewish extraction. The political tension, the "bizarre" doctrines, and the religious atmosphere make it a less desirable place for touristic purpose.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:57 AM

400 posts, read 292,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Lol. I just properly read this in detail. You're nerdier than I am lol.

Yes these four cities are very impressive topographically, the best thing is these are world class cities and you have all that nature around you.

If you really want to be blown away though you need to go to Santa Marta, Colombia's 10th largest city & the oldest surviving European settlement in South America. Santa Marta is about the size of the Scottish capital Edinburgh and only 1½ hours drive from Barranquilla airport which has direct connections to Florida. It has the highest coastal mountains in the world and you have tropical rainforest beaches and snow capped mountains within a 25 mile radius, not to mention a desert by the Caribbean sea in the state next door called La Guajira desert. The Amerindian people in the mountains are practically untouched by outside civilisation & rightly call their home the cradle of life and do seminars/conferences across the world on natural preservation.

Santa Marta city is split over three bays...

Santa Marta by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Santa Marta noche by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Rodadero aire by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Rainforest beaches...

Tayrona by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Playa Cristal by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Tayrona Amerindian civilisations (Chibcha peoples) & Teyuna, the Lost City...

Nabusimake 2 by enorbitaweb, on Flickr

teyuna by Daniel Marasco, on Flickr

Sierra Nevada Santa Marta...

Santa Marta 18863110972_8875a12039_b by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Sierra Nevada-1 by Juan Diego Castillo Ramírez, on Flickr

Santa Marta captura-de-pantalla-2015-08-26-a-las-11.59.27 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Santa Marta 258_1r20100621_20100621_colombia_srranvda_08_0034 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

DM8353 by David Medina, on Flickr

DM8357 by David Medina, on Flickr

The Guajira desert & the Wayuu nation - (aka: 'people of the desert'), Arawak peoples never colonised by Spain...

Guajira Sebaxtian google earthi by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Posesión de maestros wayuu- 16 de marzo de 2017
by Ministerio de Educación Nacional, on Flickr

Panorama_CABO DE LA VELA by Oscar Perfer, on Flickr

^^
All that in the eastern corner of the Caribbean region of Colombia...

Barranquilla Santa Marta by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Sierra Nevada Santa Marta map by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr
Marvellous photos Pueblofuerte. The ones about Amerindians are also great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World