Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2018, 09:50 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,256,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereibelong View Post
Please move my thread if there is a better board for it.

I'm wondering if anyone in the US feels like I do. I'm an American, born and raised here. But I'm beginning to feel so separated from the rest of the world. Not many people in my area travel more than a few states away, let alone travel abroad. Of course that doesn't matter to my personal life because I am "free" to travel abroad if I so choose (see more below). But I still feel isolated living in a place that isn't in tune with the rest of the world and doesn't seem to care about other cultures.

I'm tired of the American working culture too. I currently sit 40 hours a week at a desk and don't make enough money to live on my own. I commute on dirty public transit nearly an hour each way that is late by at least 15 minutes more than half the time. No one seems to care about having time with their family and friends. The people I work with are very nice and I am thankful for that, but it's weird how they rush through their lunch in 15 minutes then get back to work. One coworker recently had a baby and she was back in 3 weeks, while the child has been put in an all day day-care (her husband and her both work full time). It's just sad to see that this is the necessary lifestyle here because people need to work long hours to afford a living. It's so sad that a newborn child is spending more time in a daycare facility than with at least one parent. Why bother having a child if you have no time with them? Only to work more hours to afford having a child? I don't blame the individuals workers. I blame the companies taking over and using people just to make the CEOs pockets fatter. The cost of living is insane and it's becoming worse.

I've been learning that in Europe, it is more relaxed, public transit is more reliable, and there's more vacation time and more easy going lunch breaks. I know in a lot of European places, lunch is the biggest meal of the day, whereas dinner is here in the US, which is just a simple cultural difference and I get that. There's a lot of people here who think that is "lazy" but I personally see that as more productive. There's no reason for me to sit at a desk for 8 hours a day, when my work load can easily be done in 4 hours. It is a frustrating lifestyle to live. Growing up, my father worked for a bank in their administrative offices from 1pm-10pm plus the commute time. He worked every Thanksgiving and Christmas. We lived check to check and still do. It's just no way to live and I am scared for my future that it will be nothing except working 40 hours+ per week and earning only enough to pay bills and do nothing else, plus getting only one week of vacation. One week is not enough to travel abroad (actually maybe this is why many people in my area do not go abroad, plus the money issue).

It has been weighing on me lately. Does anyone else feel the same? Is there anyone out there (or boards that you can direct me to about this topic) who has relocated to Europe and what the good and bad is about it? I'm new here, so thanks for reading
You ain't going to be happy till you try it. Do it and then you will know.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 05:29 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
It an orientation thing. Spending 8 hours on a plane to get from Chicago to London is OK, but 6 1/2 hours to get from South East Australia (Sydney) to Indonesia makes it 'remote'.

I suspect too that most Europeans and North Americans are not really focussed on or are aware of the locations that are close to Australia, like NZ, Vanuatu, Fiji, New Caledonia etc.
Awhile back I came across a web site that described Hawaii as "the next Bali", with Hawaii being a Medium Haul from Australia. This in response to increased tourism from Australia.

So when you think about the location of a country, consider Medium Haul as well as nearby destinations.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonChigurh85 View Post
Central and South America at your doorstep. Europe is a 7 hour flight from the East Coast of USA....

Try living here in Australia. I live in Sydney, you hop on a plane and it takes over 6 hours just to get to INDONESIA.
I live in Seattle, so Central and South America are not on my doorstep, and Europe is a long ways away.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Well I feel isolated here in Canada. The only land border we have is with the US. We are sandwiched between the lightly populated northern parts of the US and the vast empty north of the continent and the North pole.
Well, I live in Seattle, so I live far from other countries-except Canada.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:52 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I live in Seattle, so Central and South America are not on my doorstep, and Europe is a long ways away.
Nevertheless, Mexico and the Caribbean are closer to you, then Indonesia and most places in SE Asia would be to a someone living in Sydney.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:29 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,344,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Nevertheless, Mexico and the Caribbean are closer to you, then Indonesia and most places in SE Asia would be to a someone living in Sydney.
By why use South East Asia as the comparison? If you live in Sydney and want to experience a culture, lifestyle and geography that is totally different, there are plenty of locations in the South West Pacific that will give you all of that, and which are a lot closer than Thailand, Indonesia or Vietnam.

You don't even have to leave Australia to spend time in a society that is traditional Melanesian; just travel up to the Torres Strait Islands.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 07-06-2018 at 06:43 PM..

Old 07-06-2018, 06:59 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times
If I lived in Australia, I would be more than happy just to travel domestically anyway. There is so much to see there That being said, long flights aren't generally a problem for me if I take the proper precautions. So, I think most people who are in reasonable health shouldn't have a problem and it should not be used as an excuse against long haul travel. Feeling isolated is only a mindset IMO.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:09 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Well I feel isolated here in Canada. The only land border we have is with the US. We are sandwiched between the lightly populated northern parts of the US and the vast empty north of the continent and the North pole.
That's worse than living in the States, but at least you get Santa.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:27 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,154 times
@somewhere I belong
Its the same here in Canada especially in the bigger cities where transportation is squeezed into roadways that are overwhelmed. There's that hour long commute [or more].
Overworked employees because the corps wont hire more people to help. It diminishes profit.
House prices here are so far above the average middle class's reach. I live in a city of 1 million. The average cost for a modest house is $400k. Much more in Vancouver and Toronto.

Like Huck says
"I don’t think you have a realistic perception of the rest of the world" and that's a problem in the USA for sure. But for me you are a breath of fresh air. Maybe the first American I've ever heard that has voiced their frustration in this way and along the way have not berated other countries as less than them.
Did you know that some states are raising min wage to $15/hr and there are actually citizens opposed to this? If I had to live on that it would be bare bones. I would need a room mate.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:33 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
By why use South East Asia as the comparison? If you live in Sydney and want to experience a culture, lifestyle and geography that is totally different, there are plenty of locations in the South West Pacific that will give you all of that, and which are a lot closer than Thailand, Indonesia or Vietnam.

You don't even have to leave Australia to spend time in a society that is traditional Melanesian; just travel up to the Torres Strait Islands.
As much as I'd love to explore the South Pacific (might do it while I'm living Down Under ), it's a hard sell when going up against Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. That's why I used SE Asia as an example, because with the exception of NZ, it offers the nearest substantial landmass.

Of course, I still believe that Australia has a great location, even if its a bit more isolated then many countries, though nowhere near as much as some claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World