Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 03:33 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
If Vancouver is a Mediterranean climate then my granny is the Queen of England! Actually if Vancouver is supposed to be a Med climate then half of Southern Britain must be too (somebody claimed growing palms and olives = Med climate (no problem in Southern UK!) My 'new' favourite Med climate is Margate or Eastbourne!!

Sorry nowhere in Canada has a Mediterranean climate!! It is Oceanic just like the British Isles.
Nope, I actually said that not all Mediterranean climates have palms and olives,

The UK can't really produce olives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
London is on average 1-2 degrees °C warmer than Vancouver throughout the year, I honestly fail to see how it's a Mediterranean climate.
Because Mediterranean climates are C climates, so they can be reasonably cold. It's rainfall patterns that set them apart.

London's driest month is a winter month, so it's actually the opposite of a Mediterranean climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Joe90, although my first post unintentionally caused the topic to get a bit off track I find this thread has proven to be an interesting discussion (even a bit humorous at times when reading the naysayers posts), most interesting in no small part due to the research and good information you've provided, so I thank you for your informative posts.

After reading the above posts and seeing olive groves being brought up as a "Mediterranean thing" I just thought I'd mention (not that it's really important) that certain cultivars of olive trees (and citrus, banana and palm trees) do grow in the British Columbia lower mainland. They are grown in Vancouver and in the Fraser Valley, in Victoria and Comox on Vancouver Island as well as on some of the other islands along the coast in both BC and in Washington State. As a matter of fact an enterprising group of people on Saturna Island, BC started up their own business on their properties there 10 years ago growing and selling olive trees, they're called the Saturna Olive Consortium. Here is their website for anyone interested: Saturna Olive Consortium » About Saturna Olive Consortium

In the past 8 years or so there are other growers in both Washington and BC that have been following suit, producing and selling to nurseries and private individuals not only olive trees but a variety of other food producing trees, shrubs, vines, vegetables and other plants that typically never would have been considered possible prior to the onset of the warming of climate change. I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing what more new and exciting enterprises and potential prospects may be possible for growers as the warming of climate change continues to progress so rapidly here on the North American pacific north west coast.

This news article is from 5 years ago, things have warmed up quite a bit more since then: https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/milder...land-1.1274286

No worries -I'm just trying to keep it factual.

Interesting read from those articles - those pars of BC look to be right on the cusp of producing citrus and olives etc. Warming has it's benefits I guess.

Last edited by Joe90; 12-03-2018 at 04:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 05:15 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
London is on average 1-2 degrees °C warmer than Vancouver throughout the year, I honestly fail to see how it's a Mediterranean climate.
Sure doesn't fit the definition of Mediterranean climate as I understand it. It is a mild/cool climate similar to London except the rainfall is pretty much over by the summer in Vancouver.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:39 AM

570 posts, read 508,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Sure doesn't fit the definition of Mediterranean climate as I understand it. It is a mild/cool climate similar to London except the rainfall is pretty much over by the summer in Vancouver.
Come on! London is warmer than Vancouver. It’s 13C right now in London while it’s 1C in Vancouver and it’s been like that for so many days already. Autumn this year in London was very warm, while summer in Vancouver was so short.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:49 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,380,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Not all the climates you listed above have identical climates either? Do you think Barcelona and Los Angeles have the same climate? I don't think so! Mediterranean climates aren't all the same.

Vancouver is not cold most of the year, otherwise it would be like Winnipeg or Harbin.
Much more reasonable to compare those to Vancouver.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:58 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,380,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Just out of curiosity, how long did you live there, and how many years have elapsed since you moved away from there?

Lived there for 2 years . Had 3 months of warmish and dry weather each year...sorry not mediterranean

https://www.accuweather.com/en/fr/ni...weather/136420

https://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/va...-weather/53286

Old 12-03-2018, 08:56 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Seems to me there is as much difference between LA and Barcelona as there is between Barcelona and Vancouver. To me this is just arbitrary.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:05 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Come on! London is warmer than Vancouver. It’s 13C right now in London while it’s 1C in Vancouver and it’s been like that for so many days already. Autumn this year in London was very warm, while summer in Vancouver was so short.

Err. Weather. Not climate.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:53 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post

Well of course it was at the time of your posting 4 or 5 hours ago. It was already full daytime in London and still the middle of the night in Vancouver when you posted. What would anyone expect the night time temperatures to be? Didn't you take that into consideration, or maybe you thought nobody else would? Other people will. The sun has just risen a few minutes ago in the west (look at the time difference) and the frost from overnight is melting fast. We have had glorious sunny weather this week, and our summer lasted for 7 months and skipped over autumn. That is NOT short. It's even nicer and warmer where I live out in the valley (not in Vancouver).

Old 12-03-2018, 09:56 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
I think those of you who are objecting to the fact that the PNW is classified as Mediterranean should stop responding as though you've been personally insulted, get over it, and get on with the discussion as intended by the OP.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:57 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
The difference between Vancouver and Barcelona is much less than the difference within Oceanic climates -should the Oceanic group be rearranged so that only climates that feel the same are included?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World